faulknerwn

New Iphone

I so want the new cool iphone. Adds new features and is supposedly much faster with longer battery life..

I've currently got the oldest one but use it for everything... I've gone through the buying process but haven't clicked the final ok..

I want it but don't need it. And my phone bill will go up about $15 a month with it.. I so want it though...

Anyone else?

Wendy,

The upgrade on ATT is expensive....this is what I've been reading. New customers get the $199 price but people upgrading have to pay $599 I think.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Then you're lucky..it appears that people with the 3G will be paying more.

Let us know how you like it! :)

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I so want one too.... got the 2g and love it.
The video and the camera alone have me hooked, and the little digital compass gps feature. Spiffy....

If you get one, you better come back here and write a review, let us know how you like it!!
Blue Skies Magazine

I just got an iphone a fewdays ago and I love it! It's a 3g and very fast. It does take awhile to get used to the typing on it but nothing major. I had a blackberry and switched to this. I must say though, I was on it a lot the first few days and ran down the battery faster than I thought.

I have two 1st gen iPhones, and I'm looking to upgrade at the end of the year. I had to laugh about all the guided tour references to MMS, then on the specs, a tiny, off-color footnote that says "AT&T MMS support coming late this summer". I really am looking forward to true GPS, and I hope that it's easy to Voice Control the Voice Recorder and MMS it - that way my wife will stop texting while driving!
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

WWDC = World Wide Developers' Conference.

it's a week or so of sessions for developers to meet and greet, but it starts off with a keynote where they reveal all the new toys they have been working on. this time, it was more power and lower prices on laptops, the new iphone, the new iphone os and the new desktop os. B|

yes, i likes me some apple stuff.

edit because i can't spell cool.:S

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

What's wrong with Palm Pre?

From everything I've read about it....it's pretty well done and Palm did a great job on the new OS.

But, it doesn't have the 50,000 applications available for it and the rest of the Apple/iTunes ecosystem that you get with an iPhone. I think Palm produced a good product in the Pre and sales have been good but there is so much more to an iPhone than just the device itself that the Pre will have a hard time competing imo.
--
Murray

Got questions about the iphone or blackberry:

I need something that I can bring up into the mountains for somewhat long periods of time, not to make calls or email, but to be able to keep a journal.

These things use a lot of juice when they are scanning for a signal (and of course, when calling/sending messages). CAn you shut off the transmission capabilities so that I can use it to record a daily journal without making calls/connecting to the Internet? I don't want it to use up the battery by trying to find a signal in the mountains.

Then when I get back to a town, where I can actually get a signal, I can turn it back on & upload my journal to a website.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Got questions about the iphone or blackberry:

I need something that I can bring up into the mountains for somewhat long periods of time, not to make calls or email, but to be able to keep a journal.

These things use a lot of juice when they are scanning for a signal (and of course, when calling/sending messages). CAn you shut off the transmission capabilities so that I can use it to record a daily journal without making calls/connecting to the Internet? I don't want it to use up the battery by trying to find a signal in the mountains.

Then when I get back to a town, where I can actually get a signal, I can turn it back on & upload my journal to a website.

yes, you can put it in 'airplane mode' and all the radios turn off. you can also turn them off individually (wi-fi, bluetooth, phone).
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Go Blackberry for this. The battery life is longer (this is based on my experience of two years with iPhone and seven years of experience with Blackberry, and not on what the manufacturers say). The physical keys on the BB are going to let you type faster, and you'll have a better experience with it.

There are some things that the iPhone does better as well, but that's a different topic.

I'm thinking about that. But I'd also like to take pictures. Maybe I'll just take a camera & download the photos when I get into town.

I have a regular razor cell phone right now, and it takes kinda crappy pictures. What is the quality of IPhone or Blackberry photos?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking about that. But I'd also like to take pictures. Maybe I'll just take a camera & download the photos when I get into town.

I have a regular razor cell phone right now, and it takes kinda crappy pictures. What is the quality of IPhone or Blackberry photos?

Lets just say that neither one compares to a small point and click like the Canon Elph series

The latest Blackberry Curve has a 3.2 MP camera, which you can use for both still and video. The new iPhones will have a 3 MP, and can also do video, so it's comperable. My older BB curve has a 2 MP and video, and the 1st gen iPhone doesn't match up. The BB has a flash on it, so relatively close photos will get better lighting, the iPhone does not. Photos on the 1st-gen iPhone are pretty dark, and the BB are much better.

The photos are good enough to send to friends on computer, but you're not going to be blowing them up and hanging 8X10s on your wall. They would make fairly good 3X5s, but usually lighting with camera phones is poor, which makes for mediocre pictures, unless you are outside on a sunny day. The videos are OK, but won't compare to a hand-held video camera for quality.

My guess is if you're hiking, the cameras on the newer phones will be fine - just make sure you have bright sunlight, or if you get the BB with flash, it needs to be a closer shot.