blackdog

If you borrow a canopy and damage it

What is the opinion of the group if someone borrows a canopy, damages it extensively and returns it. Would you offer to replace, repair or tell them they are SOL?

If the canopy was for sale, my opinion is in line with other's posts: "You break it, you bought it."

If the canopy was just borrowed, then I would pay for whatever repairs necessary to get it back to the condition it was in. If that wasn't possible, I would replace it (not necessarily with a new one though).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Hello, the bike, is it a BMW? Used to own an 1995
R80RT, same colour. Now I have a Buell "Blast",
the suspension is hard ( I feel every little bump on the road ) and highway riding is hard on me. Good thing, it gets great fuel economy,150Kms
with a $8.00 fill-up. Regards Mike
Be Brave, embrace the fear,
even if your not, pretend to be.
No one can tell the difference

Hello, the bike, is it a BMW? Used to own an 1995
R80RT, same colour. Now I have a Buell "Blast",
the suspension is hard ( I feel every little bump on the road ) and highway riding is hard on me. Good thing, it gets great fuel economy,150Kms
with a $8.00 fill-up. Regards Mike

*Nominated for "Most random post of the year" award.

:D:D

NARWHALS, YYYEEAAHHHHH!!!
:D

Edited to add: If I lend out gear then I consider that I'm accepting part of the risk. If the borrower damaged it I'd expect them out of politeness to offer to make good, but I wouldn't necessarily take them up on it.

It depends on the circumstances too - if the canopy blew up on opening then I'd probably be more embarrassed than upset, especially if it been my pack job. But if the borrower decided to fly it into a tree then I'd feel differently about it.

When it comes to borrowing, it's pretty much a last resort for me and I don't like to do it. Skydiving gear is precious, and it's a serious responsibility looking after someone else's.

At the last 4 way competition, one of the team members brought along a second rig in hopes that I could then video a second team. I agreed, but was a little nervous about jumping borrowed gear. Not about jumping a hotter canopy (that was great, thanks Sandy) , but about how I would replace it if I messed it up. All went well, but still, it added one more dimension to the jumps. Just something else to think about??
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

It would depend a lot on the conditions the lender communicated to the lendee...

Was the canopy given with no strings attached or was the canopy given with the understanding that it would be returned as-is?

I wouldnt jump any canopy in this configuration.:D

:D:D And if it was returned with no strings attached then I'd definitely be wanting some compensation!

Damaging a canopy extensively? Why would you even attempt to return it ? Bite the bullet and buy a new one for the owner and chalk it down as a lesson. Anything other than that is right down rude!

Replace it in kind, but a canopy with 1K jumps on it that blows up shouldn't be replaced with a new canopy. If you really, really feel that way, can I loan you some gear?:)