downplanetim

Line OF Duty ????

Hello to the active duty military out there!!

How do you think your commander will view an injury substained while skydiving on "off Duty" time.
I now and then get a rash of Siht about my incidents skydiving. I have had medical officers say my injuries should be LOD No!.
I disagree and believe senior leadership up to and including General Petraeus would disagree. Whom himself suffered "off duty" skydiving injuries as a 0-7.
I suppose a SSG should have more control of the wind speed, direction and consistantcy than any other person.
What do you think? How will your commander view your "off duty" activities in the event you are injured because of circumstances they themselves cannot control.

Well.....my commander knows my love for the sport, he and I also know how important i am for the unit. Now with that being said, if its a once in a blue moon minor injury....wouldnt be a problem...but judging from your statement...

I now and then get a rash of Siht about my incidents skydiving

sounds like your a little accident prone...so this may cause then to be a little more restrictive in your case..

now also in response to your comment

General Petraeus would disagree. Whom himself suffered "off duty" skydiving injuries as a 0-7.

I was at the very same DZ the day he did this....and he was also ordered by General Shelton to stop skydiving all together as a recreational sport...because it was to hazordous...

So...take it for whats its worth....the military has invested hundreds of thousands into each and every soldier, they want to try and keep their investment working.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

I'm not a lawyer or even a shit house barracks lawyer, but an explanation to your question can be seen HERE

If you want a no BS JAG explanation, you could go to your JAG or to TDS (trial defense services), which is who represents the soldier when the command's JAG is the one investigating/prosecuting the individual soldier.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The bottom line is you making yourself capable. Let's say that your off-duty time was spent eating pork rinds, drinking gravy, and watching judge judy. Are you going to get mad when you can't pass your PFT's and command comes down on you? It's not about the legalism it's about being fit for duty.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

one thing i noticed, it doesnt matter how you hurt yourself, the fact is, units look at skydiving as completely dare devilish and unsafe...so any minor injury will be blown out of proportion so that they dont lose you. same with any "extreme" activity. people hurt themselves surfing all the time and get no flak for it...its the perspective of the sport from the CO. oh and ive been out since may 21st, w00t no more BS!!!!
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

He probably wouldnt have much problem with me jumping if I got some kind of injury, it would be on me. I would just have to wheel my ass to the office.

Ofcourse, he jumps at the same dz...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I was a charter member of the first US Air Force supported sport parachute club in the Continental U.S., 1963. It was the Commando Sport Parachute Club at Hurlburt Field, FL. The AF considered it an approved Line Of Duty activity because the CSPC followed the Basic Safety Regulations, later Recommendations, of the Parachute Club of America, later United States Parachute Association. US Army and Navy and Air Force overseas were already approving sport parachuting activities so the precedent was established. It would seem to me that current regulations in all branches of service would have sport parachuting activities clearly defined and clearly LOD activities.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

The key in LOD investigations is determining if there was misconduct or willful negligence on the part of the injured member.

That said, if your popping wheelies on a sport bike and not wearing a helmet, crash and get injured, your screwed. Find a rig in your roommates closet and try BASE jumping off the roof - screwed. Jump out of a questionably maintained aircraft without proper training - screwed. Jump out of the same aircraft after having received proper training and while wearing proper equipment - your OK. Bottom line is, if your breaking the law or knowingly disregarding rules, regulations, laws or safety requirements, your going to be found not in the line of duty when injury was sustained. Screwed, and rightfully so IMHO.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I got hurt on a landing last summer, nothing too bad... dislocated shoulder, sprained ankle and lots of cuts and scrapes... at the time I was on a non-flying TDY so I didn't miss any flights. I didn't actually go to the hospital that day, just when I got back home a few months later and I never had any problems come from it.

I was in the Air Force and had signed a high risk activity waiver, which asked what training I had received. So, my unit was cool about it since I had already signed that waiver.

We used to play ultimate frisbee for PT sometimes and nobody thought that was too dangerous even when I practically lost a tooth from being elbowed in the face... shit happens... if a unit has some kind of waiver I would be sure to sign it, just in case.

As long as you are not disobeying a lawful order (verbal or written) you should be fine as far as a line of duty determination is concerned. However, if your Commander has said not to skydive or your command required a high risk activity briefing/waiver then make sure that you have everything signed and documented before you jump.
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry