markovwgti

Legal Problems with selling Jet Ski!! HELP!!!

I bought a jet ski for 900 bucks from my gf's neighbor, i drove it a few times, had it checked out by a certified tech, it was mint, so i got bored of it and decided to sell it, i ended up selling it for 1900 bucks, the guy came here checked it out started it up with water running through revving the shit out of it for 5 minutes, he saw a little play in the shaft, he called up his friend who owns a big jet ski dealership near me and said its normal, 2 weeks later his son takes it out and some exhaust leak happened....he fixed it....he took it out 2 weeks later and it wont go over 4 grand and it bogs and backfires.....he brought it to a shop and they quoted hm 1300 bucks, he wants me to pay for half of it!

Now when he bought it we didnt sign any contracts saying i will fix it if it broke or anything like that, his 16 year old son took it out and broke it obviously, now a month later he wants me to pay for half the damages saying he bought it broken meanhile he had it running for 5 minutes...He just called me and said he is taking me to small claims court...what chances do i have

I have 4 people that will sign papera saying they were on it with me for an hour and ti ran fine a week before he bought it, and yes they were on it with me.

Help!!!

EDIT: the shaft housing and propeller went bad hit each other i guess some random bearing and some pump...i have the estimate here.....

Sold as is...I say counter-sue him for your time. You didn't sell with a warranty, so tell him to suck it up.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Now when he bought it we didnt sign any contracts

Well, that sucks. Did you at least record the conversation?

.He just called me and said he is taking me to small claims court...what chances do i have

Depends. Civil law isn't like criminal law. There isn't a guilty and not guilty, think of it as a balance beam, it can lean slightly one way or the other.

I have 4 people that will sign papera saying they were on it with me for an hour and ti ran fine a week before he bought it, and yes they were on it with me.

Have them write up something, sign it with a Notary, then see if they can make it to court with you.;)

When I sold my truck, I wrote up a one page contract stating that no warranty was given or implied, yada yada, signed, notarized and saved. I also recorded the transaction on audio, especially the part about him buying the truck as is with no implied or given warranty.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dont worry! If theres no contract he cant do much. Id call his bluff and tell him you will in court with bells on. He has nothing against you. Unless your state has some BS used lemmon law i wouldn't worry about it. Call a local lawyer and get a free consult about local laws. Surelly he is just trying to scare you into paying for part of it.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

This sounds about typical of jetski's. If it's a two stroke jetski, then it might just be fouled spark plugs. I need to change the sparkplugs after about 12 total hours of riding on my jetski. I've had previous electrical problems with mine, which I had to completely rebuild the wiring harness. 1300 bucks is a hell of a quote from the shop, I'd go half in on a repair manual with him.

Your honor, "Here are four notarized affadavits from people that rode the jet ski one week before it was sold, stating that the jet ski was in good operating condition and ran properly", furthermore "the plantiff inspected the jet ski himself and sought advice from a local dealer which told him everything was OK"
Your honor, "The new owner has had the jet ski for 4 weeks and has operated it at least twice, I don't believe I am responsible for any damage that has occurred"
Your honor, "To the best of my knowledge the jet ski was in good operating condition when it was sold and I acted in good faith, thank you"
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Your honor, "Here are four notarized affadavits from people that rode the jet ski one week before it was sold, stating that the jet ski was in good operating condition and ran properly", furthermore "the plantiff inspected the jet ski himself and sought advice from a local dealer which told him everything was OK"
Your honor, "The new owner has had the jet ski for 4 weeks and has operated it at least twice, I don't believe I am responsible for any damage that has occurred"
Your honor, "To the best of my knowledge the jet ski was in good operating condition when it was sold and I acted in good faith, thank you"

This is better than some of the choice words I would like to use....:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

no bill of sale I'd claim that he never bought it, he borrowed it, broke it, and refuses to return it-get it repaired on his dime, get it back, and resellB|

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! :D I like it.

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

this is great stuff.....thanks guys

Call a local lawyer

Ding ding ding.

... which should lead to some advice better than "Sick? Bleed 'em with leeches!", which is basically what the OP has gotten here so far.

Hey now, who's the barber here?
http://www.hulu.com/watch/3529/saturday-night-live-theodoric-of-york
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Your honor, "Here are four notarized affadavits from people that rode the jet ski one week before it was sold, stating that the jet ski was in good operating condition and ran properly", furthermore "the plantiff inspected the jet ski himself and sought advice from a local dealer which told him everything was OK""

this is great stuff....

No; actually, it's all inadmissible hearsay unless those people (the 4 witnesses + the local dealer) are in court to testify in person.

Call the lawyer. Getting legal advice from non-lawyers is like ... well, I already said what it's like.

no bill of sale I'd claim that he never bought it, he borrowed it, broke it, and refuses to return it-get it repaired on his dime, get it back, and resellB|

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

No, we have a loser. He does that, and it's perjury and fraud.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

No, we have a loser. He does that, and it's perjury and fraud.

I think he was joking. And besides, if the OP is stupid enough to go to court with advice on law from a skydiving website, then he deserves what he gets.

go to court with advice on law from a skydiving website

But Skydivers know everything, Just ask one.:D

So if I haven't jumped in a while - does that mean I don't know everything anymore?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun