Half Dome hiker death

A hiker fell from the cable route on Half Dome yesterday: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526166,00.html:(

I've never gone UP the cable route, just used it to get back down after climbing Half Dome, and it scared the hell out of me compared to climbing. One time the vertical pieces were still gone (removed for winter), so we had to pick up the cable from the rock and back down. I placed a prusik knot around the cable in case I slipped.

Anyone else been on the cable route? I'm surprised that in this era of lawsuits the cables are still there.

Pics of cables: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=half+dome+cables&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=AFU1SvnbHYyQsgPt5KHHDg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

After both Snake Dike and the Regular Route I had to go down the cables. It is an intimidating view for sure. Just remember that Royal Robbins did it in the 50's without touching the cables or boards and keep a cool head. Luckily both times I have done it there were no tourists.

Last time I was in The Valley a tourist died hiking down the Falls Trail with his hands in his pockets. Tripped, landed on his head and broke his neck. Died right there.

jon

Yeah, my first time was after doing Snake Dike, and that was when it was just the cables with no boards or posts. The cables were just laying on the rock. That's when I used the prusik. There were a few touristas but not too many. The other times the boards and stuff were up, but it's pretty easy to envision casual hikers bouncing there. Oh yeah, the Falls are pretty gnarly too - one slip...

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I've done the cables before a couple times...and it's kinda shocking how someone can die. I remember there being planks along the way as semi stairs and you hold onto the cables the whole way. Granted this was when it wasn't slippery, but as long as you're holding a cable I'd imagine if your feet slipped you could keep your grip.

Or, maybe he was like one of the a-holes that think they are cool and climb outside the cables to go faster.

A couple of days before this cat went in, they had a dude on local tv hawking his book about how to get to the top of Half-Dome as a tourist. He repeatedly warned that this is not a stardard hiking trail. Such stuff makes big news in Fresno.

But I note there have been but 4 deaths on that trail and 50k people per year use it. Its safety record is pretty good.

As an aside, rangers are otherwise preoccupied and weather is brilliant. Probably a great time to huck yourself off of the Captain if you are so inclined...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I've done the cables... at first glance it was intimidating, but once I starting ascending - not too bad. I REALLY enjoyed coming down! B|

g

"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

A couple of my climbing buddies were on the cables just a few hours before this accident. They reported the rock being so slippery to the point of being "dicey". This is from guys that have been on the cables many, many times and climb at the top of the game.

Sad news, another one just went down, as well:

"YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. - Yosemite National Park has suffered its second fatality in recent days.

Rangers say the body of 23-year-old Christopher Hale of Gainesville, Fla., was found by officials on Monday, two days after a San Ramon, Calif., man died in the park.

Hale had been missing since Sunday morning, and rangers said he appeared to have fallen from a cliff above Mirror Lake in the eastern portion of Yosemite Valley.

Hale was training with the park's concessionaire, DNC Parks and Resorts at Yosemite Inc., and was scheduled to start work later this summer. His exact cause of death is under investigation."

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." - Goethe