NickDG

Happening Now - 777 Captain Dies in Flight. . .

Co-pilot flying the plane!

Media going nuts!

(Hope the first officer didn't also have the fish).

NickD :)

If he did, I just hope one of the flight attendants is there to blow inflate the Autopilot!
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

CNN says the pilot was 61. I thought there was a mandatory retirement of commercial airline pilots at age 60. Anybody know if the age 60 rule was recinded?
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

CNN says the pilot was 61. I thought there was a mandatory retirement of commercial airline pilots at age 60. Anybody know if the age 60 rule was rescinded?

Yes it was...now 65

Edit to add:
For international flights like that, there are actually 3 qualified pilots on board....one is a 'reserve' flight officer.
(I.R.O. ~ international reserve officer)

Also...only the most senior flight crew get to drive the heavies, many times the co-pilot was a captain on other equipment, but went back to right seat for the higher pay and better schedule.

And don't call me Shirley!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

They just landed - safely. ~ O

" I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you. "

I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

For international flights like that, there are actually 3 qualified pilots on board....one is a 'reserve' flight officer.

I assume this was instituted so they wouldn't need to fall back on the using the pilot with the drinking problem again.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I assume this was instituted so they wouldn't need to fall back on the using the pilot with the drinking problem again.[:/]

“No, I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande”. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Edit to add:

Also...only the most senior flight crew get to drive the heavies, many times the co-pilot was a captain on other equipment, but went back to right seat for the higher pay and better schedule.

And don't call me Shirley!

in fact the news article I just read stated that a relief pilot stepped in... and two pilots landed the plane.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I think it's anything blocked over 8 hours an I.R.O. is assigned. I can double check on that.

R.I.P to the pilot and my condolences to his family. He probably went out doing what he loved doing. :(
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Question, can sky divers take their rigs on as" carry-
on" litteraly. Air france, breaks-up in mid air, could've someone deployed even if they could freefall ( along with all the falling debis & , well other's) to say abou 15000? Food for thought
Be Brave, embrace the fear,
even if your not, pretend to be.
No one can tell the difference

I've heard of wwII bomber crews getting out of a plane with the wings or tail breaking off before.

One got out over German-occupied France without a rig on... fell several thousand feet through a glass ceiling and hit the floor. He had something like a broken pelvis, leg, and badly wounded arm... but he lived. (The germans were so amazed that he survived that they took care of him until the war ended)

on" litteraly. Air france, breaks-up in mid air, could've someone deployed even if they could freefall ( along with all the falling debis & , well other's) to say abou 15000? Food for thought

No. Food for sharks.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I've heard of wwII bomber crews getting out of a plane with the wings or tail breaking off before.

One got out over German-occupied France without a rig on... fell several thousand feet through a glass ceiling and hit the floor. He had something like a broken pelvis, leg, and badly wounded arm... but he lived. (The germans were so amazed that he survived that they took care of him until the war ended)

When I was a kid, I found this book in my local library:

http://www.antiqbook.co.nz/boox/ren/5715.shtml

From distant memory, I recall:
- A guy being saved by deep snow in the mountains.
- A tail-gunner stuck in the detached, spinning tail assembly saved by trees.
- A guy w/o a rig who did a Mr Bill with another guy who had been temporarily knocked out by the plane exploding, before he woke up and pulled.

In this particular case, even if you'd managed to exit the plane alive you'd still have been left bobbing around in the middle of the Alantic - in a storm - at best. By all means take your rig as carry-on, but never because you think it might help you survive a disaster. It's fantasy. :)

(The germans were so amazed that he survived that they took care of him until the war ended)

Chasteh, I'd hope they'd have taken care of him whether they were amazed or not. There were (and are) rules about that sort of thing!