virgigirlie

Tennessee people and other Southerners

I also see some irony in this statement you made "Why would you say this to the kids in the hybrid car, the boy with long hair and earrings and fire engine red hair?"

Should she have treated you differently than anyone else because of this? It sounds like she did not.

I just assumed that since she was a person who obviously stereotypes she'd lump us in a category, too, and I imagined that category to be one she'd want to avoid or would recognize as "different." I didn't mean to imply that any of those things make us better than her or anyone else.

So you were stereotyping Stereotypers??;):D:P

Hey hey take it eeeessey
I was just trying to get some levity in here.

That ignorance thing wasn't just directed at you. It's just a personal pet peeve regarding excuses for behavior.:)

Whats the difference between an excuse and a reason, or explanation? The person you spoke to lives in an area where public education is sub-par at best, and the social standard is very poor. Small worlds lead to small minds, and fear of what you don't know.

I think if you're going to call that person racist, then you'd have to call this nice black lady a racist as well: I was taking a short moment to put my change in my wallet after buying a bottle of water at the gas station, and she was holding a bag of ice and a six pack of beer. I guess I took too long for her, because she said "move your white ass bitch". I said "Excuse me".. and she mimicked me.
Whats the excuse for her..? She's black so it must be OK to talk to a white lady like that?

No need to answer that, just think about it. Pretty much all you can do is rise above it and try not to contribute. Just imagine if I had said the same thing to her?

1) Nope she's racist and bitch...

2) In that exact scenario you are right. You can't do much but be the bigger person when it's about you. However on the subject of someone making a racist comment to you about someone else, I've found the best thing to say is "That is not ok to say to me." or something of such.

However on the subject of someone making a racist comment to you about someone else, I've found the best thing to say is "That is not ok to say to me." or something of such.

I just tell them that my Great Grandmother was Black and if they have anything else to say about my family we can step outside and discuss it. Usually shuts em up.

My dad's family is from Birmingham, AL. I've been there only about twice in my life. They are rather racist. They throw around the n-word in everyday conversation (even at the dinner table). They talk about how the neighborhood is going to "the monkeys".

They are not poor, in fact my grandfather was a successful businessman, who occasionally entertained the governor. They live close to the city. And they are my family (that I never really see). They don't realize the extent of their racism, but they are sure that white people are just better.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Whats the difference between an excuse and a reason, or explanation? The person you spoke to lives in an area where public education is sub-par at best, and the social standard is very poor. Small worlds lead to small minds, and fear of what you don't know.

I think if you're going to call that person racist, then you'd have to call this nice black lady a racist as well: I was taking a short moment to put my change in my wallet after buying a bottle of water at the gas station, and she was holding a bag of ice and a six pack of beer. I guess I took too long for her, because she said "move your white ass bitch". I said "Excuse me".. and she mimicked me.
Whats the excuse for her..? She's black so it must be OK to talk to a white lady like that?

Just because she's from the South doesn't mean she got a poor education. And that's still not a reason; lots of people all over get sub par educations.

People of all races can be racist.

A reason makes sense. An excuse is something you use when there is no good reason but you still don't want to take responsibility for your actions.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

I also see some irony in this statement you made "Why would you say this to the kids in the hybrid car, the boy with long hair and earrings and fire engine red hair?"

Should she have treated you differently than anyone else because of this? It sounds like she did not.

I just assumed that since she was a person who obviously stereotypes she'd lump us in a category, too, and I imagined that category to be one she'd want to avoid or would recognize as "different." I didn't mean to imply that any of those things make us better than her or anyone else.

So you were stereotyping Stereotypers??;):D:P

Yes. :P
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

You honestly think there is more "tact" up north?? WOW!! never heard that before. Having lived on Both sides of Mason Dixon myself, That was certainly not my experience.

And Again, Let me make this 100% perfectly clear, I am highly opposed to Racism and stereotypes of ANY type. No exceptions.

The difference is I dont see One group that judges/condescends to/stereotypes another group any different than any other groups that do the same thing. All of us are guilty to some degree.

Red headed strippers from Alabama:DB|

Some things are just FACT!!:P:D

I once dated, for about two months, a red headed former stripper who was a psychologist. I felt like a case study. :S:D
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Just because she's from the South doesn't mean she got a poor education. And that's still not a reason; lots of people all over get sub par educations.

A reason makes sense. An excuse is something you use when there is no good reason but you still don't want to take responsibility for your actions.

Ok.. She is mid-Thirties, Working at McDonalds.. Chances are..

Oh Shit!! I Just did that blasted stereotyping too didnt I?:P:D

Ironically One of the most unabashed openly racist people I have ever met was British.

For me, some Australians I met. I couldn't believe how many of them hated Asians, and weren't afraid to talk about it. Educated Australians, too, doctors, engineers. I was amazed.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I never said that poor education is limited to the South, but you were specifically in Manchester, TN, which is, specifically, a poorly educated area.

People are a product of their environments, unless they choose not to be. Whether that makes sense to you or not, that is the reason you had this experience.

I don't understand why you are surprised? You experienced racism in the South. :o Welcome to 150 years ago. Meanwhile, the tables have turned. Its going to take centuries for racism to be eliminated, if thats even possible, because the world is getting dumber.

gonna be there this year and we thought that might bring out all the blacks."

That there in and of itself does not mean she was racist! If she went on about how she dont like all black people then ill give it to you. Before any ignorant people come out and call BS or call me racist. I grew up and live in the south. I graduated from Carter high School. (if you dont know any thing about carpet look it up). I was one of 4 white kids in a large 5A school. I was rased around alot of blacks and hispanics. I chose not to go some places becasue of who will be there. I chose to not take my wife and kids to alot more places because of who will be there. That my be black, hispanic or white. Also depends on age group there. You cant take her one sentence like that and call her racist:S. Exp. since a damn rapper will be there! I would never take my wife and kids any where near a damn rap concert>:(
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I've never found that this happens more or less with one race as compared to another.

Have you looked in a prison in the last 10 - 20 years?:S Maybe even seen a show about prison. You can stay in lala land all you like but untill you open your eyes/ mind you wont see the truth!

Hey hey take it eeeessey
I was just trying to get some levity in here.

That ignorance thing wasn't just directed at you. It's just a personal pet peeve regarding excuses for behavior.:)

No need to answer that, just think about it. Pretty much all you can do is rise above it and try not to contribute. Just imagine if I had said the same thing to her?

My Dearest Kitty,

While I sadly have absolutely no first hand knowledge, I can only assume that since you are are a fair skinned Caucasian woman that you do in fact have a "White Ass". Also over the many years of delightful companionship I have experienced being in your company.. There may have been a brief (VERY Brief) time in which you may have exhibited less than your normal delightfully sunny disposition.

In short.. Maybe this lady was Just being completely honest and accurate when she said "Move your White Ass Bitch!"?

:P:D:D:D

My Dearest Kitty,

While I sadly have absolutely no first hand knowledge, I can only assume that since you are are a fair skinned Caucasian woman that you do in fact have a "White Ass". Also over the many years of delightful companionship I have experienced being in your company.. There may have been a brief (VERY Brief) time in which you may have exhibited less than your normal delightfully sunny disposition.

In short.. Maybe this lady was Just being completely honest and accurate when she said "Move your White Ass Bitch!"?

:P:D:D:D

Oh please....

I have no sunny disposition! :P So if you want to agree with the nice lady, I'm sure we can have a "discussion" about that.
:ph34r:

And yes it is PC thing. The South seems to be the least PC place I've ever seen.

Perhaps because the southern population has the balls to say ity like it is without haviung to pretty everything up to pacify the pansy asses out there that get the shakes and cant apply their nail polish the right way after hearing the truth. Just a thought.

PC - Politically Correct - Who The Fuck wants MORE politicians in training? Isn't this world fucked up enough with just the professional politicians we have NOW?

Nice......oh the truth hurst so bad sometimes:D:D:D:D

HAVING LIVED LONGER THAN MOST HERE
HAVING TRAVELED ACROSS THE WHORLD

I do not like mean ,bad,dishonest,rude,,unkind, people

It does not matter what color there skin,religion,political party or country.

mean people suck
59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

"That there in and of itself does not mean she was racist!" Seriously?

Have you looked in a prison in the last 10 - 20 years?:S Maybe even seen a show about prison. You can stay in lala land all you like but untill you open your eyes/ mind you wont see the truth!

Personally... I'm infinitely more afraid of rednecks than racial minorities.

Oh please....

I have no sunny disposition! :P So if you want to agree with the nice lady, I'm sure we can have a "discussion" about that.
:ph34r:

Ahh, my beautiful, mean, lovely, spirited, wonderful awesomely amazingly, attractive first choice for my next ex-wife.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."