virgigirlie

Tennessee people and other Southerners

I think that what most people are saying is that you were exposed to a comment made by one person in a particular area and have drawn the conclusion that the entire area feels the same way.

This is why I posted in the first place. I didn't assume that she represented the whole area. It was the nonchalance with which she made the comment that made me wonder if racism was more prevalent or less hidden in the south. That's why I'm on here asking Southerners, not just assuming they're all racist. There's racism in Michigan, too, but not very open and not just as an aside to strangers.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

I also see some irony in this statement you made "Why would you say this to the kids in the hybrid car, the boy with long hair and earrings and fire engine red hair?"

Should she have treated you differently than anyone else because of this? It sounds like she did not.

Would it not be better to treat every single person the exact same way until given a reason not too without regard to how they looked?

It sounds like you have your own classification system.
Hybrid Car
Guy with Long Hair and earrings
fire engine red hair

These = enlightened to you perhaps?
I see all three as nothing more than badges of youthful foolishness. (Not that I have not the Long haired guy with Earrings and had that hair dyed every color under the sun at one time or another)

Everyone has tenancies to cast people based on criteria. These are Human nature. The groups and criteria change but one thing remains constant, people judge others by how they look.

I think what you fail to see is that you do exactly what she was guilty of only your criteria is different.

What really offended you was that her criteria for judging individuals was different than yours and that she was not ashamed of that.

I know many people that find Hybrid Driving, Long freaky haired people trying to tell them how wrong they are pretty offensive.;):P:D

[reply There's racism in Michigan, too, but not very open and not just as an aside to strangers.

Ok, but I don't think I agree with that blanket statement. For all you know, there may be plenty of people in any of the places I mentioned in my example that are making aside comments to strangers. What I'm trying to say is that where you are in Michigan, it may not be open...but don't assume that it isn't open in other areas. See, you can say the same thing about the South. Just b/c one person made it open, doesn't mean the South is racist. What if that woman had said "I'm not going b/c all the MEN are going." I doubt that you would then be asking if the South was sexist towards men. Wouldn't you just assume that her offensive comment was simply just her opinion and not the wide held belief of the area?

I'm really not trying to attack you in any way here...I'm just trying to show you another way at looking at it all.

What virgigirlie posted reminds me of something related:

Why do racist white people, who only just met you, automatically assume that just because you are also white, that you will be cool with racist statements??
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Let's quit using the word ignorant. It implies that a person is unaware of a situation. Can't we just call it racism when that's what it is? I assume racists know that they can't "catch" blackness and that black people aren't stupid or dirty or evil. They aren't ignorant, they're racist.

The ignorant part is that the festival has been loaded with gospel music, bluegrass, jam bands, hip hop acts (Public Enemy and Erykah Badu this year), etc. with black members/leaders since its inception. But since Snoop Dogg is a big name, he gets blamed for the perceived bad element (the entire four day festival was violence free), which is assumed to be black.

He got a headlining spot and most of the people at the show were white. Would these idiots still be scared to go to a Snoop Dogg show if they knew "all the blacks" didn't come out? No? So they're not worried about the music or type of person who listens to that music, they're worried about black people. Plus, isn't music like Nine Inch Nails considered violent? But primarily listened to by whites, so it's O.K. Isn't Beastie Boys rap? But a mixed audience makes it O.K. God knows only black people listen to Snoop Dogg.

All I really wanted to know was whether one racist chick in Tennessee was an accurate representation of the openness of racism in the south. I know there are racists everywhere, I was just wondering if it was more prevalent and open in some areas than in others.

Your're funny. You are also extremly naive if you truly believe this, possibly an extremist in naive department. Ignoring the obvious for the sole reason of making a point is ascenine. If you would not go into a neighborhood or area because you think a bad element is there then you are stereotyping, wether you chose to admit it or not, the prodominant race that lives or deals in that area.

That is the same logic as saying that you don't eat animal flesh, but going to the local grocery store and buying meat is ok, because it doesn't harm the animals.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I think you misinterpreted her meaning...

The way I see it she was trying say "What about us, as complete strangers, makes you think it's ok to make a racist comment to us?"

I think one of the big differences I've seen from North to South is more people think its ok to be a little racist in the South. And yes it is PC thing. The South seems to be the least PC place I've ever seen.

And yes it is PC thing. The South seems to be the least PC place I've ever seen.

Perhaps because the southern population has the balls to say ity like it is without haviung to pretty everything up to pacify the pansy asses out there that get the shakes and cant apply their nail polish the right way after hearing the truth. Just a thought.

PC - Politically Correct - Who The Fuck wants MORE politicians in training? Isn't this world fucked up enough with just the professional politicians we have NOW?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

And yes it is PC thing. The South seems to be the least PC place I've ever seen.

Perhaps because the southern population has the balls to say ity like it is without haviung to pretty everything up to pacify the pansy asses out there that get the shakes and cant apply their nail polish the right way after hearing the truth. Just a thought.

PC - Politically Correct - Who The Fuck wants MORE politicians in training? Isn't this world fucked up enough with just the professional politicians we have NOW?

BRAVO!!!! Standing ovation....:)

There ignorant and intolerant people everywhere. It is still very prevalent in the south.

Racism exists here but also exists everywhere else. Out west I have heard Disgusting comments like what you heard about the Native Americans out there (I heard Sand Niggers and many other such comments out there), When I lived in Connecticut many years ago (Early and Mid 80`s), People warned us not to go into the neighboring town (Bridgeport) because of all the Portuguese.

Stupid people are everywhere. And yes, The south has much more than their fair share of stupid people.

If you judge an entire region or group of people by the actions or comments of just a few, Are you not just as guilty as they are?

I've spent most of my life in Central Florida although I've also lived in OK, CA, AZ and IL. I'm old enough to remember separate water fountains and separate bathrooms. I also vaguely remember segregated restaurants. (1950's). But, I was stunned when I lived in central Illinois in 1974 and saw racially threatening signs on the outskirts of one town near where I lived......especially after watching all the events in the 1960's South play out on nightly news. I know that central Florida was not the focal point of those tensions but there is still definitely an undercurrent of racism here.

Perhaps because the southern population has the balls to say ity like it is ?

Or say it like it isn't, depending on your point of view.

That gets back to the question I asked: Why do they assume they're "telling it like it is" to someone & assuming that that is the case for the other person whom they've just met.

(and I'm not talking about Southerners here, I'm talking about any people who make racist statements in front of others they don't know)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Well than tact instead of PC.

I miss living in a place where people have tact.

OK - I'll go with tact - aqnd respect - people used to have more repect . . . now you can't even blow a kiss to your folks without offending someone.[:/]

You honestly think there is more "tact" up north?? WOW!! never heard that before. Having lived on Both sides of Mason Dixon myself, That was certainly not my experience.

And Again, Let me make this 100% perfectly clear, I am highly opposed to Racism and stereotypes of ANY type. No exceptions.

The difference is I dont see One group that judges/condescends to/stereotypes another group any different than any other groups that do the same thing. All of us are guilty to some degree.

You honestly think there is more "tact" up north?? WOW!! never heard that before. Having lived on Both sides of Mason Dixon myself, That was certainly not my experience.

And Again, Let me make this 100% perfectly clear, I am highly opposed to Racism and stereotypes of ANY type. No exceptions.

The difference is I dont see One group that judges/condescends to/stereotypes another group any different than any other groups that do the same thing. All of us are guilty to some degree.

Red headed strippers from Alabama:DB|

When I speak of the North I refer to the Northwest (Oregon, Washington), sorry I should have clarified. (or even just the west; Utah, Nevada, Idaho)

And when I'm speaking of the South I'm only speaking of the places I've lived; Mississippi, Alabama, and Virginia

I try to only ever speak from experience. I have been to places in the Northeast that have no tact. In fact the most tactless person I've ever met in my life was from Rochester, NY but after going to his wedding and meeting his family I discovered it was just him ;)

And this is also only referring to cities... the country is the country no matter where you go. However there is no backwoods out here cause until you can get 200 miles from anywhere you haven't seen anything. ;)

When I speak of the North I refer to the Northwest (Oregon, Washington), sorry I should have clarified. (or even just the west; Utah, Nevada, Idaho)

And when I'm speaking of the South I'm only speaking of the places I've lived; Mississippi, Alabama, and Virginia

I try to only ever speak from experience. I have been to places in the Northeast that have no tact. In fact the most tactless person I've ever met in my life was from Rochester, NY but after going to his wedding and meeting his family I discovered it was just him ;)

back peddle - back peddle -

I'm tellin ya - my wingman is fierce when you get into stereotype arguments with him.:|

I'm clarifying what I meant... probably should have done that before I submitted. I forget that most people on the eastern half have a different idea of North than I do.

I also wont say that I never generalize, anyone that does would be liar. (see what I did their ;) )

I also see some irony in this statement you made "Why would you say this to the kids in the hybrid car, the boy with long hair and earrings and fire engine red hair?"

Should she have treated you differently than anyone else because of this? It sounds like she did not.

I just assumed that since she was a person who obviously stereotypes she'd lump us in a category, too, and I imagined that category to be one she'd want to avoid or would recognize as "different." I didn't mean to imply that any of those things make us better than her or anyone else.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

Hey hey take it eeeessey
I was just trying to get some levity in here.

That ignorance thing wasn't just directed at you. It's just a personal pet peeve regarding excuses for behavior.:)

Whats the difference between an excuse and a reason, or explanation? The person you spoke to lives in an area where public education is sub-par at best, and the social standard is very poor. Small worlds lead to small minds, and fear of what you don't know.

I think if you're going to call that person racist, then you'd have to call this nice black lady a racist as well: I was taking a short moment to put my change in my wallet after buying a bottle of water at the gas station, and she was holding a bag of ice and a six pack of beer. I guess I took too long for her, because she said "move your white ass bitch". I said "Excuse me".. and she mimicked me.
Whats the excuse for her..? She's black so it must be OK to talk to a white lady like that?

No need to answer that, just think about it. Pretty much all you can do is rise above it and try not to contribute. Just imagine if I had said the same thing to her?

+100

most of snoop dog's followers are the young, thug (mostly black) but other colors too... that like "gangsta" rap and think the associated behaviors are "cool".

I have friends of all colors, and go above and beyond in the effort to not judge, but there are certain people of all colors that I steer clear of simply because of thier attitudes. Just like Joe Q said, a lot of this has been brought on by the people flying the race flag. If they would quit with the BS and act like normal, respectable members of society, a lot of the so called "racist" behavior would go away.

I would not have made the same comment that the lady at McDonald's did, because that does come across as ignorant on her behalf, but I also would not have went to the fair on the the night that snoop dog was there either, just out of concern for my own safety. It is not a coincidence that when you turn on the news at night that most of the crimes being reported were committed by people of colors other than white.....

Ugh.

Red headed strippers from Alabama:DB|

Some things are just FACT!!:P:D