virgigirlie

Tennessee people and other Southerners

And I'm sure you don't consider the demographics of those areas at all. Again, if you say no,I will call you a liar.

So, call me a liar.

OK - in that way - I DARE you to go to Overtown in Miami or little Havanna at about 1 am and see if you are considering anything other than a nice view of the city. Perhaps downtown Newark is more your speed. Don't be rediculous and idealistic - try reality. OR - if you don't believe reality - walk the streets of East LA . . . see what happens.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

And I'm sure you don't consider the demographics of those areas at all. Again, if you say no,I will call you a liar.

So, call me a liar.

The difference between the two of us is this. We will both avoid some places. You will claim to avoid the atmosphere or violence. I will look one step farther to what causes the problem. There are places I won't go because of the blacks and I don't go to country western bars because of the rednecks. The reason you give does not make you different, it just makes you politically correct.
Very soon, an honest person will not be able to sing the last 2 lines of our National Anthem:::Practice safe dining....use condiments

So, call me a liar.

The difference between the two of us is this. We will both avoid some places. You will claim to avoid the atmosphere or violence. I will look one step farther to what causes the problem. There are places I won't go because of the blacks and I don't go to country western bars because of the rednecks. The reason you give does not make you different, it just makes you politically correct.

And Jack Nicholson was right in her case - "SHE CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!":D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

So, call me a liar.

OK - in that way - I DARE you to go to Overtown in Miami or little Havanna at about 1 am and see if you are considering anything other than a nice view of the city. Perhaps downtown Newark is more your speed. Don't be rediculous and idealistic - try reality. OR - if you don't believe reality - walk the streets of East LA . . . see what happens.

Or The Green in Chicago. I made a wrong turn once and ended up there. It was not the atmosphere that bothered me. It was the 6 big black guy that asked me what the fuck I was doing there that did the trick but I'm sure if I turned into a Quikie Mart in Dunwoody I would have gotten the same thing from a gang of soccer moms.
Very soon, an honest person will not be able to sing the last 2 lines of our National Anthem:::Practice safe dining....use condiments

I'm scared every time I have to go into a shop on Ventura Blvd - Yuppies are scary.:|

ha..... they are scary! :D

I will say that North or South it happens everywhere! I just think the yanks are better at being PC and goo ol dixie tells it how it is. I live in Covington KY (southern Cincinnati) it is right on the other side of the Ohio River and I have lived in areas farther north.... it is no different than what I saw being in the south.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I don't believe in being politically correct. I'm honest; I say what I think and if what I think in this case happens to fit your definition of "politically correct" then fine. If you avoid certain races or types of people that's your problem. I avoid situations and places. If I have an uncomfortable feeling about a place I leave it, regardless of who's there. I've never been afraid in any place because of the race or type (you mention rednecks) of people there. Only because of how the people acted or made me feel. I've never found that this happens more or less with one race as compared to another.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

Or The Green in Chicago. I made a wrong turn once and ended up there. It was not the atmosphere that bothered me. It was the 6 big black guy that asked me what the fuck I was doing there that did the trick but I'm sure if I turned into a Quikie Mart in Dunwoody I would have gotten the same thing from a gang of soccer moms.

So you wouldn't be bothered if six big white guys asked you what the fuck you were doing there?
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

We avoid several areas and times because of the black factor. We quit going to the state fair when they started having drive by shootings in the parking area. I know of several black clubs where the EMTs park just down the block because there IS going to be a shooting or stabbing on almost any weekend night.

If you tell me there is no where you would not go or there are not places you would be afraid to park your car with something of value in it I'm going to call you a liar.

Having said all that, if there was a festival going on that was full of white kids ages 18 to 23 I would probably avoid that too.

Like it or not there are some racial stereotypes that have been rightfully earned even if only by a small group of the population.

+100

most of snoop dog's followers are the young, thug (mostly black) but other colors too... that like "gangsta" rap and think the associated behaviors are "cool".

I have friends of all colors, and go above and beyond in the effort to not judge, but there are certain people of all colors that I steer clear of simply because of thier attitudes. Just like Joe Q said, a lot of this has been brought on by the people flying the race flag. If they would quit with the BS and act like normal, respectable members of society, a lot of the so called "racist" behavior would go away.

I would not have made the same comment that the lady at McDonald's did, because that does come across as ignorant on her behalf, but I also would not have went to the fair on the the night that snoop dog was there either, just out of concern for my own safety. It is not a coincidence that when you turn on the news at night that most of the crimes being reported were committed by people of colors other than white.....

Would it be "honest" to say you a much higher probability of being Robbed, Mugged, Attacked or Raped in some places more than others?

Is it not logical to avoid those places if possible?

In the south, "Those Places" are generally very poor neighborhoods (Just like everywhere else). Whatever ethnic population that makes up the majority of "Those Places" are generally the ethnic group that others try to avoid because of they have been conditioned to fear them. That is NOT just a southern thing. That is a human thing.

It is sad and wrong but it exists everywhere.

Of course it is much easier to just look down on one entire group of people based on the action of a few. Kinda like what you are doing now.;)

Perhaps downtown Newark is more your speed.

Yeah, come on up here. I could always use some good back up.:P I only work there and thats bad enough. I got hurt at work about 3 weeks ago and was hauled to a Newark E.R. What an experience that was.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I would not have made the same comment that the lady at McDonald's did, because that does come across as ignorant on her behalf, but I also would not have went to the fair on the the night that snoop dog was there either, just out of concern for my own safety.

So you wouldn't make a comment that conveys ignorance (read: racism) even if you agree with it? And you're scared of black people (I assume that you perceive that droves of them found their way to Snoop Dogg) unless they're your friends?

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to understand.

>>because that does come across as ignorant on her behalf

The really ignorant part was she said that "ALL the blacks" would be there.

I like Snoop Dog but he does NOT have THAT many fans:D:D

i like snoop too..

now, just imagine Eminem was there, now, then the shits really would have hit the fan!!!

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Let's quit using the word ignorant. It implies that a person is unaware of a situation. Can't we just call it racism when that's what it is? I assume racists know that they can't "catch" blackness and that black people aren't stupid or dirty or evil. They aren't ignorant, they're racist.

The ignorant part is that the festival has been loaded with gospel music, bluegrass, jam bands, hip hop acts (Public Enemy and Erykah Badu this year), etc. with black members/leaders since its inception. But since Snoop Dogg is a big name, he gets blamed for the perceived bad element (the entire four day festival was violence free), which is assumed to be black.

He got a headlining spot and most of the people at the show were white. Would these idiots still be scared to go to a Snoop Dogg show if they knew "all the blacks" didn't come out? No? So they're not worried about the music or type of person who listens to that music, they're worried about black people. Plus, isn't music like Nine Inch Nails considered violent? But primarily listened to by whites, so it's O.K. Isn't Beastie Boys rap? But a mixed audience makes it O.K. God knows only black people listen to Snoop Dogg.

All I really wanted to know was whether one racist chick in Tennessee was an accurate representation of the openness of racism in the south. I know there are racists everywhere, I was just wondering if it was more prevalent and open in some areas than in others.

I would not have made the same comment that the lady at McDonald's did, because that does come across as ignorant on her behalf, but I also would not have went to the fair on the the night that snoop dog was there either, just out of concern for my own safety.

So you wouldn't make a comment that conveys ignorance (read: racism) even if you agree with it? And you're scared of black people (I assume that you perceive that droves of them found their way to Snoop Dogg) unless they're your friends?

I have chosen to not hang out with the people (of all colors) who choose to chose to exhibit behaviors that would invite or be condusive of violence and or any other sort of crime. The people I have chosen to befriend are of all colors, they know how to behave in society (not saying they are uptight stiff shirts who don't cut-loose) but they do not threaten other people, they do not think that violence is fun, they are not "out to prove something". They are hard-working upstanding members of society, who understand that in order to get something in life, you have to work for it, not steal it, or kill someone for it.

Through out history, bad things have happened to people of all colors. I have had bad things happen to me, it is just a part of life. However, you can choose to not let these things determine your future, or you can continue to "hate" and be a part of the problem.

*inb4 SC

Being military my whole life I've lived a lot of places... now in general those places that give you an uncomfortable feeling are the very poor areas. I've been enough places that I've seen every race living in those areas so I've learned to differentiate between the two.

Down here in Montgomery no one can argue that the majority of the poor areas are of a black majority. This skews most of the peoples views around here.

I won't get into the reasons for poverty, but no one can argue that poverty and crime are not related.

One comment I'll add is the crime does seem to be more violent (I've lived in many cities of this same size), but the poverty level also seems to be much higher.

And for full disclosure I live in a nice neighborhood and my roommate is black and not military.

Hey hey take it eeeessey
I was just trying to get some levity in here.

I dated a black woman for a year and I know what it feels like to walk into a supermarket in Vermont and have people react differently- The scrutiny and tension is obvious- it sucks!
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

I have chosen to not hang out with the people (of all colors) who choose to chose to exhibit behaviors that would invite or be condusive of violence and or any other sort of crime. The people I have chosen to befriend are of all colors, they know how to behave in society (not saying they are uptight stiff shirts who don't cut-loose) but they do not threaten other people, they do not think that violence is fun, they are not "out to prove something". They are hard-working upstanding members of society, who understand that in order to get something in life, you have to work for it, not steal it, or kill someone for it.

Through out history, bad things have happened to people of all colors. I have had bad things happen to me, it is just a part of life. However, you can choose to not let these things determine your future, or you can continue to "hate" and be a part of the problem.

But why would you assume that people at a Snoop Dogg show, especially at a festival with roughly 150 bands, would be violent? Is it because of the type of music? Again, just trying to understand.

Hey hey take it eeeessey

That ignorance thing wasn't just directed at you. It's just a personal pet peeve regarding excuses for behavior.:)

But why would you assume that people at a Snoop Dogg show, especially at a festival with roughly 150 bands, would be violent? Is it because of the type of music? Again, just trying to understand.

A lot of the people who listen to "gangsta" rap (IE snoop dog) are the same people who rape, steal and kill for a living... not everyone, but a lot. Me personally, I don't care for any rap music, simply because I don't care for that genre of music. It is the people however, that type of music generally attracts that I avoid. Why take fireworks to a bon fire???

Hey hey take it eeeessey

That ignorance thing wasn't just directed at you. It's just a personal pet peeve regarding excuses for behavior.:)

Just like the excuses you use for your behavior.We are both the same.

Let me ask you this. When you are in a place that you are not comfortable, do you look around and see a nice diverse cross section of the population looking to mess with you just because you came to visit or do you see a group made up generally of one ethnic group or another generally acting like animals.

Just to be clear, my views are not about every member of any or all racial groups. Just the onces that can't seem to act like humans in public.

:)
No diss to Snoop and his peeps either on my part.;)

For people who want to see some violence at shows-
I HAVE gotten my share of beatings in mosh pits up here at a grunge metal festivals- not on purpose of course that's just how the dirt surfers roll- it's how they show the love I guessB|:S
:D:D
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

I think that what most people are saying is that you were exposed to a comment made by one person in a particular area and have drawn the conclusion that the entire area feels the same way.

Let's try looking at this another way...it looks like you are from Michigan. If I went to inner city Detroit or Gary, Indiana, or South Side Chicago...and while I was there a black guy made a racist comment about white people to me. Should I conclude that people in Michigan, Indiana and Illinois are racist towards white people?

Growing up in South Carolina I've heard some pretty bad things said about black people by whites...at the same time, I've also heard some pretty awful things said about white people by blacks. It goes both ways