virgigirlie

Tennessee people and other Southerners

I went to Bonnaroo last week/weekend, which is in Manchester, TN, just southeast of Nashville.

When we were about half way between Nashville and Manchester, we stopped at a truck-stop so my boyfriend could get some McDonald's. On our way out, one of the McDonald's employees who'd been working was outside having a cigarette and we chatted for just a minute. After about three short, pleasant exchanges, she says to us in this super sweet accent, "Well, we thought about going to the festival, but Snoop Dogg's gonna be there this year and we thought that might bring out all the blacks."

Seriously! The boyfriend and I just sort of looked at each other. The (30-something) woman said this as nonchalantly as if she were asking for the time; like it was just normal as all hell.

Is this still normal and acceptable in the South? Is this a common attitude there? Is racism that open (though I'm sure this woman does not consider herself racist)? A couple people "warned" me about it before we went, but I thought they were just being overly dramatic. I don't want to offend anyone, but I find her statement abhorrent. Plus, why would you say this to the kids in the hybrid car, the boy with long hair and earrings and fire engine red hair?

Edited to add: I don't want this moved to S.C. I really do just want to know how prevalent this attitude is and if I'm naive or something. I don't want to start a debate.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

I don't want to offend anyone......

Don't worry about it, YOU are not being offensive, but SHE is. That certainly wouldn't be acceptable where I live and IMHO, it shouldn't be anywhere.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Having said that, please don't blame "Tennessee people" because of a few retards.

I definitely didn't take this woman as representative of the whole population. That's why I posted. I didn't know if it was just her or if that attitude is really common in the South like some Northerners told me it was.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

My sister lives in NC in kind of a hippie community but she rarely encounters such attitudes in town BUT, one day this dog showed up to crap in her yard and instead of her usual yankee accent she opened the door and shouted to the dog- "GIT- GIT OUT MY YAWRD ......GIT ON!!!

I was like- WTF did you talk to the dog like that for?? she said - "Sometimes the dogs here don't understand what northerners say, and they just look at you funny."

I laughed all day about that.:D

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

I'd not do that... which is why I singled out the lady, She was the one in error not her neighbours.

As you rightly say, There's good and bad everywhere. But I do think that it's up t the rest of us to let them know that they are behaving less than acceptably.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

So You're dating Trey?:P

Did he bust out "You Enjoy Myself" at the gig or what? is he using the Ross Compressor again on his leads these days....I hope so.

I don't really know that much Phish (shhh...don't tell). I went more for Nine Inch Nails, Beastie Boys, Dillinger Escape Plan, Public Enemy, Shadows Fall, Al Green, Elvis Costello, David Byrne, Girl Talk, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Mars Volta, Santigold, Government Mule, etc. But I did familiarize myself more with Phish and enjoyed it and do enjoy other bands of the genre.

We avoid several areas and times because of the black factor. We quit going to the state fair when they started having drive by shootings in the parking area. I know of several black clubs where the EMTs park just down the block because there IS going to be a shooting or stabbing on almost any weekend night.

If you tell me there is no where you would not go or there are not places you would be afraid to park your car with something of value in it I'm going to call you a liar.

Having said all that, if there was a festival going on that was full of white kids ages 18 to 23 I would probably avoid that too.

Like it or not there are some racial stereotypes that have been rightfully earned even if only by a small group of the population.
Very soon, an honest person will not be able to sing the last 2 lines of our National Anthem:::Practice safe dining....use condiments

Racism is alive and thriving in the South. It permeates everything and comes from both sides of the great divide.
I am a New England transplant and find it extremely uncomfortable living here. My choice would be to move back north but my family doesn't care for the winters in New England, so I try to put up with it as best I can. There is a constant palpable tension in the air that is absolutely stifling. Don't see it getting better any time soon.

back in the day (early 90's) when i was still in the commodity relocation engineering business, i had to make a delivery in north carolina. while waiting, i went to the lunch room for some food and a smoke. i noticed that there were two, one was bright and clean, the other one, not so much. i figured that was the smokers room so i went in, grabbed a paper and started reading. lunch time came and the place started filling up, but i wasn't paying attention. after awhile i looked up and noticed i was the only white guy in the room. it wasn't official, but segregation obviously still exists, or it did then. [unsure]

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

If you tell me there is no where you would not go or there are not places you would be afraid to park your car with something of value in it I'm going to call you a liar.

There are places I avoid, but because of violence or atmosphere. Not because of what you call "the black factor." Or the Hispanic or Asian factors. Places with white patronage have fights and shootings, too.

I call bullshit on this.

Well, here in Florida they say "if you want to go South, go North" and it is true. We moved from Orlando to Pensacola and what a difference. First of all most people talk like Forrest Gump... . Then of course it is obvious that in most cases the races co-exist but do not co-mingle and that is most sad. Then of course what do you expect from a bunch of Southern Baptists who just 30 years ago burnt crosses and still freely use the "N" word to describe their bretheren. Just a bunch of wankers B|
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

There ignorant and intolerant people everywhere. It is still very prevalent in the south.

Racism exists here but also exists everywhere else. Out west I have heard Disgusting comments like what you heard about the Native Americans out there (I heard Sand Niggers and many other such comments out there), When I lived in Connecticut many years ago (Early and Mid 80`s), People warned us not to go into the neighboring town (Bridgeport) because of all the Portuguese.

Stupid people are everywhere. And yes, The south has much more than their fair share of stupid people.

If you judge an entire region or group of people by the actions or comments of just a few, Are you not just as guilty as they are?

Holy frog lips! what an amazing lineup!!! Did you have fun at the show despite the racism?:P:D

No racism at the show B|, just a chick in a surrounding town.

The whole weekend (Thursday - Sunday night) was awesome!!

Actually, I think there may have been a recent incident for Public Enemy because they had everyone chanting, "Fuck racism!"

Then of course it is obvious that in most cases the races co-exist but do not co-mingle and that is most sad. Then of course what do you expect from a bunch of Southern Baptists who just 30 years ago burnt crosses and still freely use the "N" word to describe their bretheren. Just a bunch of wankers

You do realize you sound just like one of them? Judging all based on the actions of some.

There are places I avoid, but because of violence or atmosphere. Not because of what you call "the black factor." Or the Hispanic or Asian factors. Places with white patronage have fights and shootings, too.

And I'm sure you don't consider the demographics of those areas at all. Again, if you say no,I will call you a liar.

Would you rather go to downtown Atlanta during the Southern Baptist Convention or during Freaknic? (google it if you don't know what it is)
Very soon, an honest person will not be able to sing the last 2 lines of our National Anthem:::Practice safe dining....use condiments