iluvtofly

Guys: Does a strong, independent woman scare you?

Firstly. I need a little work done in the garage. Could you pop around this weekend?
Seriously though, I have mostly dated strong independant women, but there is a difference between independant and domineering, and I think thats what guys are afraid of. We all know that a womans influence slowly increases over time and I am a little concerned of how the relationship might develop.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

You can always tell when a discussion turns into an argument. You start off on the same side, in the pursuit of greater knowledge or what have you, and end up countering each others comments in a more and more aggressive manner. Women who resort to borderline insult once they realize they cannot win because of a lack of info on their part, or ability to comprehend, are the ones who are no longer strong but known in the majority of the world as a "bitch".

Women who keep a smile on their face and look sexy as they counter your statements, are the ones you wanna keep around.

She beats you because she loves you...

I'll concede that fact!

Hey, stand by for some linkage to the week long vacation to Glacier National Park we just returned to. I'm about 1/2 through the picture upload to Picasa.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

She beats you because she loves you...

I'll concede that fact!

Hey, stand by for some linkage to the week long vacation to Glacier National Park we just returned to. I'm about 1/2 through the picture upload to Picasa.

Sounds wonderful.. I loved Banff when I visited there. B|

Independent? No. Awesome. :)
Refuses to ask for or accept help ever, feeling they always have to "prove" themselves? Can be maddening. [:/]

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

So what do you look for as far as level of independence?

It depends what you mean by "independent". If by "independent" one means a woman who is capable of fending for herself in her career, financially, and in traditionally male-dominated aspects of life--then that is really great to see.

I've sometimes noticed, however, that the "independent" type of woman sometimes likes to surround herself with a pack of guys, with whom she may or may not be sleeping, and who she plays off against each other in subtle ways. Eventually (sometimes after several years) she picks one and pushes the others out of her life rather harshly. This sort of behavior can be a bit of a turnoff. I'm interested in the kind of woman who is ready for a committed relationship right now and whose idea of independence won't hold her back from a serious relationship.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I sometimes send people running :S I would say I'm *fiercely* independent (ie: I could do with being more "quietly" assertive). My brother is a lot like me, except he never puts people off, because he's never defensive about the way he is - he's just confident without being in your face about it. I really admire that about him - my feistiness is something I have to consciously tame sometimes!!!

I respectfully disagree. That's years of patriarchal conditioning talking (all of us have been touched by it.) So, its OK to be strong and independent, as long as we're doing it "quietly" ...

Have you ever noticed how a confident, independent, business savvy man is deemed as being successful? Attach those same attributes to a woman and she becomes a "frigid bitch".

Be yourself pretty sky girl, without second guessing yourself. Follow on your brother's footsteps and don't feel the need to defend who you are ... In doing so, be prepared to turn off some potential "suitors", but you should be OK with it -- you don't want the weak ones anyway.

O

You know there is nothing worse than a girl who just wants to argue her point.
I was in Montreal this pas week. Meet up with this gorgeous girl at one of the local bars we get to talking about life and work and what not and she goes off on engineers and how they hate "mother earth". So I just sit there and keep drinking as she goes on and on and I'm thinking...."Thank god you are cute hunny because with that attitude he better be def!" Any how so she's done and I politely indicate my current job is to act as the interface between engineers / scientists and the rest of the community including the environmental office and that over the past year I've come to realize that both sides really do want the same thing but they speak the same language and that perhaps that's a great metaphor for the world we live in....I had a deep moment. But nope.....engineers were the scum of the earth but I didn't suck but I was wrong. I made her buy me a shot and I left her at the bar.
Strong is beautiful.
Independent is elegant.
Opinionated and angry....not my cup of tea....but perhaps it's because maybe it reminds me too much of me.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I sometimes send people running :S I would say I'm *fiercely* independent (ie: I could do with being more "quietly" assertive). My brother is a lot like me, except he never puts people off, because he's never defensive about the way he is - he's just confident without being in your face about it. I really admire that about him - my feistiness is something I have to consciously tame sometimes!!!

I respectfully disagree. That's years of patriarchal conditioning talking (all of us have been touched by it.) So, its OK to be strong and independent, as long as we're doing it "quietly" ...

Have you ever noticed how a confident, independent, business savvy man is deemed as being successful? Attach those same attributes to a woman and she becomes a "frigid bitch".

Be yourself pretty sky girl, without second guessing yourself. Follow on your brother's footsteps and don't feel the need to defend who you are ... In doing so, be prepared to turn off some potential "suitors", but you should be OK with it -- you don't want the weak ones anyway.

O

Exactly. Whoever you are, just be that person and don't hide it. Be unique. :)
Sure you may scare or put some people off that supposedly like you, but if they only like you when you act a certain way, is that really you?

Just realized I didn't really answer the ? :$

I do want someone who's strong and independent but I still want someone who wants me and isn't afraid to show it and realizes we choose to be together, we don't "have" to be.

This is not to be confused with someone who thinks they need me because they really don't nor do I "need" them. Not one single thing one does can't be done by someone(s) or something(s) else. It may not be the same but all is available.

Um, no. They're the only kind I'm attracted to. And they're few and far between, I've all but given up looking. I know they're out there, but the rule seems to be, if they're badass enough to attract me, they're already attached, usually to some schmoe who doesn't appreciate just how badass his woman is. I LIKE intimidating women. Since I don't intimidate easily, if I find her to BE intimidating, thats a MAJOR attraction. Starts the relationship off with excitement and respect.
The lace curtains makeup and fashion obsessed types just leave me bored. I'll take the ferocious, bold, intelligent go-forth-and-conquer warrior chick anyday. One who does not demand that I provide for her needs, because she was providing em for herself just fine before I came along anyway, but doesn't mind if I open doors for her and give her stuff from time to time just because gallantry is a thing a guy ought to practice with women who appreciate it. I'll know her when I find her because she'll be a friend who just falls into place by my side like she'd always been there, more interested in being with me than getting stuff from me.
Oh, and theres no such thing as "overly independent." Guys who reject women for that characteristic are way too insecure to deserve the woman they're rejecting. If shes independent as hell it means shes probably NOT the clingy needy type who would demand that I account for my time for every minute I wasn't around her. A friend of mine married a girl like that...she uses his phone like a leash to keep track of him. Ugh. I'd rather be alone.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

And too the women...would you consider your self more or less independent?

I don't know if I'm the only one or the only honest one - but the answer to that question varies.

It depends on what part of my life you're asking about: work, family, social, love. Work - fairly independent, but not so arrogant that I won't ask for a second opinion when I have concerns. Family - VERY INDEPENDENT. I will give help to them but RARELY require my mom or sisters to sacrifice for my sake. Social - rather independent, but willing to be flexible on plans. Love - I'd like to consider that INTERdependent

It depends on other factors ongoing at that time. It depends on sleep/diet/general health/ and yes... even cycle timing. (Yes, a woman is saying that cycle timing DOES matter... there ARE times that you feel less emotionally strong)

I made it through medical school and residency. I've proven myself on written and oral boards. I skydive. I have a Harley... but I still cry and appreciate a shoulder when it feels like the world is against me. Most of the time, I consider myself to be rather strong and independent, but honestly, there are times that I'm sure that I'm thought of as too clingy or needy.

CAN I stand on my own? HELL YEAH. Doesn't mean that I don't want someone standing next to me holding my hand sometimes.

And ya know what? Guys are the same too. They just are conditioned not to admit it. :P