flyingwallop

insurance puzzle UK - AFF training

I am posting this here after an ongoing but fruitless (for the moment) email exchange with the BPA.

SITUATION
I am an Italian resident and will be working to get a BPA A License via AFF training starting on the 14th of April in the UK.

I believe that enrolment will require a temporary BPA membership which under normal circumstances (UK residents) includes a third party liability insurance, a mandatory condition for any skydiving in the UK.

QUESTIONS
Is this insurance policy valid for an Italian citizen resident in Italy?
I know at least some skydiving specific insurance policies such as SkyCover do not cover non UK residents. Which company does the BPA use?

If I do have to buy independent insurance, could you give me specific details of the type of coverage I will need to contract in Italy to satisfy the BPA requirements?

See here regarding BPA insurance
http://www.bpa.org.uk/member/insurance-and-travel/

Specifically
"3.BPA insurance cover for non-UK residents and/or citizens performing activities outside the UK applies only at a BPA Affiliated Parachute Training Organisation or as part of a BPA-Registered Display Team."

I read that as non-uk residents are covered but only at UK (or BPA) dropzones.

One further point is if you are the EU (and not UK resident) I believe the BPA have to recognize equivalent insurance, so if you already have local cover it may apply.

Although I understand from the BPA manual that the insurance included with membership will cover me...

some alarming responses by 2 skydiving specific insurance companies (Sky Cover & AIB-Insurance) are making me doubt the validity of the BPA's policy.
Both these companies will not insure me as a NON UK resident.

Now my question is: what company does the BPA use?

I would like to at least speak to said company to verify first hand.

flyingwallop

Although I understand from the BPA manual that the insurance included with membership will cover me...

some alarming responses by 2 skydiving specific insurance companies (Sky Cover & AIB-Insurance) are making me doubt the validity of the BPA's policy.
Both these companies will not insure me as a NON UK resident.

Now my question is: what company does the BPA use?

I would like to at least speak to said company to verify first hand.

Hello, my name is Craig. I'm the chair of the Development committee at the BPA, which also includes the Insurance sub-committee (although the vast majority of the work is done by the office) and I can assure you that you will be covered under the third-party aspect of the insurance. We require 3rd party to skydive in this country and it would be a bit odd if the insurance we sold you didn't cover you :-)

In case you wish to check, the broker is Romero Sport and Leisure and the underwrite is Liberty Mutual.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

The problem you're encountering is in relation to personal accident insurance, not third party liability insurance.

You need third party liability insurance in order to skydive in the UK. The bpa membership includes this and you will be covered under that policy.

You do not need personal accident insurance. It's an optional extra through a separate company which will pay out a certain defined sum in the event certain specified injuries are sustained. The vast majority of UK jumpers do not pay for this cover.

If you want this cover you should probably look to extreme sports travel insurance from a company in your home country which offers cover for skydiving, including repatriation costs.

flyingwallop

Although, today, one of them has offered me a life insurance policy which would include personal accidents.

Make sure skydiving is specifically called out in that policy. Many life insurance policies specifically exclude 'extreme sports' in the fine print.