Thanatos340

Craigslist/Haggling Rant...

I have been cleaning out the garage and selling a few things on Craigslist lately.

The responses have reaffirmed my belief that people really are getting dumber every day.

My Favorite (NOT) response is the obligatory "What is your bottom Dollar CASH price?" that I get about 6 times for every item posted for sale.

My Response is always "Read the ad, It lists the price. Cash is the only thing I will accept."
If I would take less, I would have asked for less.:S
And what the hell is "Cash price?" I listed the item in US Dollars. That usually means CASH.:S
Now I guess if they wanted to pay in Gold Krugerrands, of Diamonds or Bizarre sexual favors there would have to be an exchange rate figured out.. But generally If I ask for Cash, I want cash. What is so complicated about that??:S:P

Then there the ones that always call up and give a sob story and somehow that is supposed to make you take less. Hey, I am sorry you have a fucked up life but I do not. Much of that has to do with not giving shit away for less than it is worth or if I do, I DONATE it to a worthy charity and get the tax write off.

One old guy wanted to talk for 20 minutes about how he was wanting to buy something for his crack addict daughter who was trying to get her children back from DEFACS so I should take half of what I was asking.:S

No matter how great of price you offer something for, people feel they have to haggle you down further. It is nuts. [:/]

I personally think artificially inflating your price just because you know you have to come down is pretty stupid myself. Why not just be honest. This is how much I want, You want the item are not.

/rant over

Just went through the same shit myself!!
I listed my whitewater kayak for sale.....basically new and listed it for half of retail.
Got 3 people wanting me to donate it for this shit and that shit....and all but one other tried to give me thses sob stories and get it for 1/4 of my listed price.
Hell,it a kayak!! Not a nescessity of life,not food or water it's a sport...if you can't afford the sport then do something else like get a better paying job...fuck....

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

It's the businesses that offer deals on "cash" payments that have made people ask that question. Now why they think that they should get a "cash" discount on something that you're only asking "cash" for is beyond my comprehension. :S

I run a business at a nearby flea market. I sell new items and have very fair prices. Every now and then, I'll have someone try to offer me less for something. Sunday, I had someone offer me $1 for a $1.50 item. Come on people....get a life! >:(

Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

I prefer to give things awya when I am done with them. makes me feel good to give something to a person who may otherwise not be able to afford it. I always figure that by the time I am done with it, the item is paid for and doesn't "owe" me anything. Would rather make somebody happy with it than sell it for money.

I prefer to give things awya when I am done with them. makes me feel good to give something to a person who may otherwise not be able to afford it. I always figure that by the time I am done with it, the item is paid for and doesn't "owe" me anything. Would rather make somebody happy with it than sell it for money.

Same here ... I never sold anything and that's probably because I anticipated having to deal with this kind of crap ... and I didn't want to.

O

I've found that if you're giving stuff away, it's better to use freecycle (or give to charities or people you already know) rather than Craiglist. For the most part, it seems there's this "perceived value" thing on Craigslist - that if you're giving it away for free it must be total crap. When I bought new furniture two years ago I wanted to get rid of my old sofabed and was happy to give it to anyone who would just take it away. It was still totally functional and fairly clean - a couple of tears and stains, but not total crap.

But in the free listings I had NO takers; once I put it out there for $100ish, I had plenty of responses, and I ended up selling it to some kids from the college down the road who were happy to have it to furnish their first apartment.

Freecycle doesn't have that problem because the whole concept is about paying it forward and keeping things out of landfills.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I know what you mean.
As a buyer, I've found when those girls want 100 roses, they just won't settle for 50.[:/]

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The problem is you don't know how to negotiate.

Read this book and it will be a lot more fun!

[url "http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1564144984?ie=UTF8&tag=skydivincamer-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1564144984"]Secrets of Power Negotiating[/URL]

It's a great read and everybody should have at least basic knowledge.

Makes haggling lots of fun!

Let's see...........to someone I didn't know, I'd have to say, "Umm.....no."

But for you? Since I know and like you, if you want to drive ALL the way over here JUST to buy that thing for $1.25....sure I'll take $1.25 for it! ;)

Nina

............My Favorite (NOT) response is the obligatory "What is your bottom Dollar CASH price?" that I get about 6 times for every item posted for sale.

My Response is always "Read the ad, It lists the price. Cash is the only thing I will accept."
If I would take less, I would have asked for less.:S...............

I usually reply with one of two responses.

(1) "What is the most you would pay?" I've already quoted a price and it's the prospective buyer's turn to either buy the item, make a counter offer, or walk.

or (2) "I'll be happy to seriously consider any offer you may make."

Either way the BS is cleared quickly. A serious buyer would have already made an offer before asking such a dumb question.

My Favorite (NOT) response is the obligatory "What is your bottom Dollar CASH price?" that I get about 6 times for every item posted for sale.

I don't know. Make me a reasonable offer. Not enough; $1, $100, $1000 less as a counter depending on selling price; or the same asking price are all reasonable responses to whatever they suggest. The point is that you're a reasonable person (you don't want to warehouse your crap) but they're not being reasonable yet.

The first party to name a price when negotiating always looses but as a seller you need to start someplace.

If I would take less, I would have asked for less.:S

My wife (mostly) and I have sold three homes. The smart strategy is to start at a realistic price (buyers need to take you seriously) beyond where you'd settle. They always want to win a little.

I sold left overs from my vacuum tube video hobby starting at a higher realistic price and settling for a good deal to me with free shipping (world wide. USPS does not charge dimensional weight) included. People want to get a "good deal"

Then there the ones that always call up and give a sob story and somehow that is supposed to make you take less. Hey, I am sorry you have a fucked up life but I do not. Much of that has to do with not giving shit away for less than it is worth or if I do, I DONATE it to a worthy charity and get the tax write off.

Right. It's business. The buyer's personal situation is irrelevant. If anything they should pay more since you're acting as bar tender/psychiatrist.

I personally think artificially inflating your price just because you know you have to come down is pretty stupid myself. Why not just be honest. This is how much I want, You want the item are not.

You can't inflate it because buyers won't take you seriously, but you can start a little above average "reasonable" prices plus add real and perceived buyer value which in and of itself turns a profit.

Little details like new wall plates, cabinet hardware, towel racks and new non-rental carpet do wonders for home selling prices. "Free" shipping even for international buyers works.

I run a business at a nearby flea market. I sell new items and have very fair prices. Every now and then, I'll have someone try to offer me less for something. Sunday, I had someone offer me $1 for a $1.50 item. Come on people....get a life! >:(

When your cost on it may have been under $1 that's entirely reasonable. When your cost was $1 and $1.25 is the middle ground that's fine too.

Once inflation and local costs of living are factored in I don't make more than I did in 2001. The kids can't get unpaid internships because those are going to people with graduate degrees that can't get paying jobs. Times are tight and everybody is suffering. It's smart to see what you can squeeze out especially on discretionary spending where a "no" answer means you might go elsewhere.

Valid points.

But when I told them "no." They paid the $1.50.

It wasn't a hardship issue. It was that need to haggle....which my prices aren't really structured to do. I keep fair prices and most of them are lower than anything you could pick up at most public stores.
Nina