Mostly_Harmless

Spectre v. Sabre

>It was a beautiful May morning and I did a 120 carve to final, and
> went from 20ft short of one side of the pit, clear across and out
> about 10ft the other side, low enough to hit the mattress with my
> foot as I went past... and no... I didn't stand it up!

Dude! Landing safely is mandatory, the hook is optional. If you're not standing it up, you're not ready for hooking it. You have to be able to stand it up every single time before you start adding new stuff - and if you don't stand it up _then_, go back a level.

During student status, rented a Spectre 190 and then went to a Sabre 190. I enjoyed the difference in flight characteristics of the Sabre immediately. Other students renting at the same time preferred the Spectre. I was able to stand up both right off the bat, just had more fun on the Sabre. I now have my own Sabre 1 170 and have not been slammed after 80 jumps. I realize that is not many on a canopy, but I get a nice consistant 800' snivel and only a few off heading openings that were most likely due to body position. If you give it a try, learn how to pack it and pay attention to body position when you pitch the PC. Mine has treated me just fine. My $.02.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Damn....I love my Spincter....as my beloved packer calls it!

My first jump on a Spectre (demo) ka'od my azz and I woke up see the stars...kind of like the cartoon dudes.

So what the hell...I bought one & have about 600 junps on it.

It's great rag.

Don't go away mad....just go away!

My first jump on a Spectre (demo) ka'od my azz and I woke up see the stars...kind of like the cartoon dudes.

Same here.
When I got my "new" Spectre I was very very impressed by the countless reviews available on dropzone.com, so I was hot to see a 600-foot-sniveler on my first jump.
When I dumped the shit I saw a ball of zero-p for a 1/100 of a second and then the perfect fine inflated canopy.
The chute slammed me so hard that I thought my head kicked my ass out of the pants. :P
After this jump I hadn't any complaints but only sooooft openings.

Don't be a Lutz!

Well this weekend I got 1 jump on the 170 Sabre before the winds got nasty. The opening was very quick. Normally with the Spectre I can look up and see the canopy snivel for a fwe seconds, but with the sabre there was a canopy over my head before I even had a chance to look up. The opening did really hurt it was just very fast (although I have some neck and lower back pains today). I am going to try to roll the nose and tail (the pack job I jumped was from the rigger and he only rolled the tail). Hopefully this will help to slow the opening down slightly. Other then that it flew real nice.

From reading I understand the Sabre 1 has a history of hard openings.

want to make sure I will enjoy the Sabre also

If you want to make sure you will enjoy a notoriously hard opening canopy, pack your Spectre with slider collapsed and go jump it. If you live, tell us if you enjoyed it.

(hope you won't take my 'advice' literally)

on my Spectre I actually have my slider down the inside of my canopy - not quartered at all. This way my openings are 600 - 800' rather than the 1200+ I got when quartering the slider - not for everyone or every canopy, but what works for me.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Hey Mo'Fo! ;) It was a beautiful May morning and I did a 120 carve to final, and went from 20ft short of one side of the pit, clear across and out about 10ft the other side, low enough to hit the mattress with my foot as I went past... and no... I didn't stand it up! I was too busy being pleased with it!! :P

Hey, be careful, i know your hot, but...
Besides, its not just about the t-shirt, as you can see, he's very pretty too ;)