Ragnarok

Noobie rig questions and thoughts

I am only 2 jumps into the AFF. I am thinking a 190 canopy would a good first buy for me. I am looking at either the Sabre2 or the Triathalon. There are 5 rigs for sale in the classifieds that I am looking at. Would it really be that stupid of me to buy new for my first rig? I am really not interested in an AAD, but if the rig comes with one, I won't mind. If I do not have to have one, I won't get one. It is a nice 'thought' but I want to develop good altitude awareness and discipline before I go trusting a gadget to do what good habits can prevent.

If I get new, I will get a complete Areodyne rig, Icon container, Tri 190, and a Smart reserve. Otherwise, I may end up with one that is for sale in the classifieds.

I am 190lbs (fit) and stand 69" (5'9").

I really want to start out right. Thanks for any advice.

Steve

Talk to your instructors.

General things:

Buying new first off is probably a bad idea, unless you're abnormally tall or short or something.

You need to factor in the weight of the gear. Your 190 plus the gear's ~25 = 215. So you're looking at a ~220 for your first canopy.

Wait until you've finished your AFF. I didn't buy my rig until jump ~70. That way, you've done your initial canopy progression, and you're probably going to keep your rig for longer.

Take all advice on here with a grain of salt.

--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Start with your instructors.

But if you want to know more or have some informed questions to ask them, start here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=43

and here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=46

Still want more? Go here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/page.cgi?g=safety%2FGear_and_Equipment%2Findex.shtml
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Darn. From all my research was leading to a 190. Looks like a 220 or so would be more appropriate. Well, cool. Thank you for the links - alot of info there (spent the last 45 minutes reading them) I need to print some of those out.

I can still buy a chute now if a great deal comes my way, use it to learn how to pack, and wait to jump it until after I have 70 or so jumps behind me?

Maybe I will just wait, talk to the instructors and see what comes AFTER I finish the AFF.......

Thanks,
Steve

Be honest to yourself - if you buy a rig now, will you be ready to wait for 70 jumps before you try to jump it? ;-) It's always better to jump a system before you buy it and after 70 jumps you might find out that you need something different than the system you just bought. Better ask your instructors and then buy a rig which you are comfortable with right after your hand deploy instruction.

Relax - there's no hurry to buy kit! spend the money doing some jumps instead and then when you DO buy, you will have a much better idea of what you want and what is appropriate...:)
and definitely ask the senior guys at your DZ because the wrong gear could kill you. :S

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

in an AAD, but if the rig comes with one, I won't mind. If I do not have to have one, I won't get one. It is a nice 'thought' but I want to develop good altitude awareness and discipline before I go trusting a gadget to do what good habits can prevent.

(beware: noob response) I think your reason for not wanting an AAD is actually a good reason for not using an audible altimeter for a while. I sent you a PM re the AAD. Other than dumping your reserve, and you being aware that it may do so, the AAD isn't going to give you much feedback during a skydive. ;)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I am only 2 jumps into the AFF.

I really want to start out right. Thanks for any advice.

Steve

If you want to start out right then wait until you finish, or are within a few jumps of finishing your “A” license to think about buying gear. Honestly, you don’t know enough now to even start asking the right questions, as your post showed. Moreover, you may well never make it through to your license. You may be hooked and driven to get your license, as are many people with 2 jumps, but most don’t get through to finishing. Your time and money are best spent devoted to finishing your license and learning more about the sport before you buy gear.

Best of luck on your license let us know how you are progressing! :)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Moreover, you may well never make it through to your license. You may be hooked and driven to get your license, as are many people with 2 jumps, but most don’t get through to finishing.

How much higher does the retention rate get after two jumps as opposed to just one? Is it still a minority that complete?

The most dangerous bit about buying a rig you can't jump for another 6 months is the second guessng you'll do later. Your best option today may not still be the best for the buck then.

Wait until you've finished your AFF. I didn't buy my rig until jump ~70. That way, you've done your initial canopy progression, and you're probably going to keep your rig for longer.

I didn't get mine till jump #60. (Test jumped it on #59).

I do agree that it will allow me to keep the rig longer, since I felt ready to try test jumping the 170 size (WL 1.1), and everybody at the dropzone thought it was OK for me. Buying a rig too early, I would be better off with a 210 or 190 and I would have been flying backwards in strong wind days, being grounded more often. So I am sorta glad I waited. The rig is relatively light (compared to student rigs) and not noticeably bigger than the other rigs of regulars.

Now it's the size I am going to stick with to learn everything I can on it over the next few hundred jumps, up to at least straight-in double front riser landings (possibly 90's too) without needing to downsize first. (Since I am interested in swooping eventually.) I'll take canopy coaching for that.

Well, as the adage goes - I don't know enough to be dangerous , yet.

I got ahead of myself. I did budget a full rig and setup BRAND NEW - and that is after I paid for AFF and the jumps needed for an "A" license.

I will wait, like it was said - I don't even know enough to ask the right questions. My eyes hurt from all the reading I have been doing lately. And it is looking like anyone can read all they want and have a wealth of knowledge, but not the necessary experience that this sport requires.

For the first time, I have not felt like a noobie, but more like a student. There is not the stigma attached to skydiving students like there is in other hobbies and trades. I am definately impressed with all the answers, good, straight, honest answers I have heard to my questions.

By far this is DEFINATELY the BEST community to be a noobie/student in. I am glad I finally started skydiving - best thing I could have done for myself.

I plan on finishing the AFF this weekend (and being broke for a week until payday - but that is what is about, right?) and taking a week break to let it all sink in, do more homework, before I continue on toward the "A" license.

Thank you all for all your help........Blue Skies

Take some time to rent/demo the different canopies/rigs. As a student, you are bound to have some not so pretty landings as you progress. Don't scuff up a nice new pretty container. I am about the same size as you and there are lots of available used rigs for sell. They hold their value when ready to resell and once you have figured out what you like, then splurge. I plan to put one more season on mine learning all it has to offer before I go new.

Save some time in having to go to the bank/ATM on payday. Direct deposit your check right to your account at the DZ. Save one step.;)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity