masterblaster72

Today's 500-lb Gorilla in the Room (USA beats Spain 2-0)

Okay, I know many here think soccer sucks, that's fairly well established...

...but today the USA beat record-holding, European Champions Spain today in the Confederations Cup and will be in the final this weekend. That's no small feat.

A few days ago, the USA was all but out of the tournament after a 3-1 loss to Italy and a 3-0 loss to Brazil in the group stages. Then, with some help from Brazil winning 3-0 on Sunday and the USA beating Egypt 3-0, they made it through to the semifinals.

Today they faced 35-games in-a-row undefeated, on a 15-game winning streak (this is a record), 2008 European champions Spain, and beat them handily 2-0. Not by luck, but by playing a very solid game from beginning to end.

I call this a 500-lb gorilla because I'm surprised to see no mention of it here. It's huge news because USA pretty much never makes it to the final of an intercontinental soccer tournament.

Even for those not that interested in the sport, you may want to have a look at USA play (likely Brazil again) in the final, because they're playing very well. And you might actually get turned on to the game.

Not to mention this bodes well for the team in next year's world cup.

Viva el futbol! :)

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Back here in South Africa (where the Confed Cup is being played) no one took the USA for a serious contender.

A few days ago they whipped Egypt and everyone sat up and took notice.

Honest truth is no one expected them to have a chance against Spain, given the huge stakes.

You lot back in the States should pay attention, your football team might be making history here ;)

As we in Africa know - "If you're going to be dumb - you'd better be tough."
- Tonto

Back here in South Africa (where the Confed Cup is being played) no one took the USA for a serious contender.

Honest truth is no one expected them to have a chance against Spain, given the huge stakes.

You lot back in the States should pay attention, your football team might be making history here ;)

Problem is, now everyone expects us to do the same against Brazil!B|

I'm just not sure that without Bradley they can really do it...but then, no one expected the Spain game either!!

p.s. The Azzuri are still wimps. [Sly]

You're right. I was disgusted with how they played in this tourney. Italy are world champs but they're in the wilderness, and they ain't gonna do squat in the WC next year with a coach that has become stubborn and arrogant, insisting on very lame call-ups, " aging veterans & no new blood, and a 4-3-3 formation that doesn't suit Italy's style of play.

I can just imagine the smile on your face. :P

@Erroll:

Problem is, now everyone expects us to do the same against Brazil!

If we beat the best team in the world, we can beat the second best team in the world! Our defense played out of its mind yesterday -- it was a pleasure to watch. If we can keep that up, we can win.

Go USA!

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Soccer?? You mean that Boring ass game where a Bunch of Sissy boys run back and forth chasing a ball for a couple hours and hardly anyone ever manages to get it in the net? And then when one of them gets even a Hang nail, They roll around on the ground writhing in agony untill some washed up former sissy boy with a whistle runs up and sticks a card in someones face?:P:D

Sorry, I would rather watch the paint dry. Much more exciting.

Soccer?? You mean that Boring ass game where a Bunch of Sissy boys run back and forth chasing a ball for a couple hours and hardly anyone ever manages to get it in the net? And then when one of them gets even a Hang nail, They roll around on the ground writhing in agony untill some washed up former sissy boy with a whistle runs up and sticks a card in someones face?:P:D

You're right. What we need are more sports with countless time outs and commercial breaks while men in tights slap each other on the ass during their respite. Those are the games that real men play.

By the way, haven't you made that same post at least a couple times before? Y'all postwhores are way too predictable.

Try this entertaining video on for size, perhaps this may be your inroad to liking the game. :P

You're right. What we need are more sports with countless time outs and commercial breaks while men in tights slap each other on the ass during their respite. Those are the games that real men play.

Which is why Rugby in it's various formats and Aussie rules football are the sports for real men to play. Well real men with good health insurance that isB|

And we played like champions last night, even though we lost in the end i am proud of Bafana today

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

And we played like champions last night, even though we lost in the end i am proud of Bafana today

RSA played an inspired game against Brazil......it was a shame to lose it in the last minutes like that.

I don't think the USA will get past Brazil, but at least they finally made a Confed Cup final, and that confidence will help them next year in the WC.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

USA didnt do bad in the last world cup and no one took interest. But like all Americans, if they win suddenly they will own the shirts and go nuts with chants of USA USA USA! like they have been loyal fans forever :D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

For all of you who don't like soccer, the semi-final game has had a lot of exciting twists and turns to it!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

We (the USA) played well in spurts in the first half today, but the Brazilians took us to school in the second half. Disappointing.

This does bode well for us, however. Looks like we might actually be getting better.

:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

A very good game, and showed why Brasil is Brasil.

Americans: "just hang on."

Brasil: "we'll do it."

I found the commentators on ESPN to be outrageously bias. Sure, I'd want my team to win, but to say that the 1st 1/2 belonged to the US was a bit OTT. They did outscore them, in the 1st 45, but the game was mostly controlled by Brazil all the way through. With an overall possession of about 60/40, and shots on goal 31/9, it was only a matter of time till they scored.

That being said, it was a fun game to watch, and quite unbelievable till the 46 minute!
Remster