Frenchy68

Additional Alti for canopy ride...

I wear a ProTrack in my helmet, and an analog altimeter on my left wrist. I just purchased a Neptune, primarily to use as an "under canopy" altimeter. I don't like the idea of wearing it on my right wrist (I'd rather have only 1 wrist alti...). Where else can I wear it? Leg strap?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I've seen a couple people mount the neptune and an altimaster 3 on the same (custom made) hand mount. The neptune is toward the wrist, sideways... which makes it easy to read while holding your toggles/risers.

You can also get a wrist strap for the neptune and just have it farther up your arm or something.

Dave

Bonehead makes a VERY nice alti mount for the mudflap/ringcover on your rig. I've got them on each of my rigs, they work great, protect the alti, and avaid the posibilties of forgeting/loosing your alti.

They're about $20 to $25 and worth it IMO.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Bonehead makes a VERY nice alti mount for the mudflap/ringcover on your rig. I've got them on each of my rigs, they work great, protect the alti, and avaid the posibilties of forgeting/loosing your alti.

They're about $20 to $25 and worth it IMO.

And easily visible while under canopy?
Does Square 1 carry them?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Andy wears his Neptune on, as he likes to put it, an "Old-Skool-Style (tm)" chest strap mounted pillow wedge. He picked up the idea from Brian Germain. We also saw JP's Bonehead altimount, but he didn't like the idea that the inflexible carbon fiber wouldn't give during his more interesting landing techniques. :P When he takes off his rig, he ties a knot in the chest strap so that the wedge doesn't slide off.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

He wears it on all jumps. He's also got a Pro-Track in his helmet and a Suunto on his left wrist, but he doesn't really look at the Suunto much. Most of his jumps are camera jumps, and the Neptune is primarily for canopy.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Have any of you ever used the neptune on the aforementioned chest pillow? I wear the neptune on my wrist, but sometimes it's hard for me to see, and it's not very accurate when I have a grip on a student (Doing AFF Main side I get 1,000' differential). I mainly use the neptune as a logbook, and I like the visual needle on the altimasters. I'm just wondering if wearing the neptune on the chest would give it any errors in it's data logging.

I had my rigger build me a sturdy velcro strap so now my neptune sits on top of my left thigh. It's perfect for when my hands are in the dive loops and i can switch easily between eyeballing the ground and the screen.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

A lot of jumpsuit manufacturers have Neptune pocket options now. My Ouragan freefly pants have a Neptune pocket on the leg, just above the knee. I think Nancy's done this with some of her swoop pants, too. Majik and Synchronicity have Neptune pockets on their forearms, made by Tony Suits and Bev Suits, but that's obviously suited more for 4-way.

If your jumpsuit maker has any questions, send them our way and we'll give them some tips.

Edit to add: it's easy to forget your Neptune is in your jumpsuit this way, so be sure to take the Neptune out of the pocket before washing your suit (Doug :P), or throwing it on the concrete floor.

~Lara

Have any of you ever used the neptune on the aforementioned chest pillow?

I do.

I can't speak to its accuracy in freefall, I admit that I rarely look at it then. I use it primarily under canopy to help hone in my swoops. I've never noticed any problems with its accuracy, either as an altimeter or logbook.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.