RastaRicanAir

Do you base your real life opinions of people on what they post in a B***S*** forum?

I was recently reading a thread in which a few of the posts were deliberately written to insult certain friends of mine. The writers were claiming that my friends' reputations, and even their value as jump-buddies could be logically determined just from the content of the frivolous threads they've started

I was just about to respond with: "Anyone who formulates their opinions of another jumper based on what they post in a
[REDUNDANCY ALERT] pointless internet forum is someone I wouldn't want to jump with anyway."

Then I realized that THAT would make me guilty of the same type of thread-based character assessment, and therefore, a hypocrite.

Instead, I turned to this VERY scientific method to find out:
How many of you are actually using these forums as a basis for deciding who's worthy of your jumping company someday?
And how many of you actually have a more bona-fide grasp of reality?

Are there people you would avoid, disdain or maybe gravitate toward at a bonfire, just based on the "Bonfire?"

(And yes, I know this "Poll" is biased as HELL. This ain't science, it's the internet.)
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

Like who?

BESIDES the Rodriguez Brothers, you mean? :P:D:)

There's always going to be people that act like assholes behind the curtain of anonymity. Some are undoubtedly assholes in real life, and some aren't - simple statistics.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Shit, I am screwed because some of you actually know who I am.

Dammit....

I am NOT screwed because nobody cares who I am.

but... pertinent to thread title... of course I wouldn't jump with anyone who posts here .... they are ALL too opinionated and self-absorbed (unlike myself)

except for that SLYDE guy .... jump with that dude in a second flat ....

I would not base their jump worthiness on their internet persona.
But I do base whether or not they are someone i will go out of my way to meet based on it.
I have little else to guide me.
and also I believe that their internet personage is rooted in their own persona to at least some extent
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

While I agree with you that forming one’s opinion of another based on “frivolous Internet posts” will not give a complete image, who are you kidding? (Other than yourself.)

What and how a person writes gives you an idea of their intelligence, their principles, their way of thinking, their “fun factor”, their openness, their friendliness … do you want me to go on?

Would I gravitate more to some people around the bonfire based on my online interactions with them? Absolutely! Would I choose who I jump with and who I don’t based on that same principle? Absolutely not – don’t be ridiculous!!! Case in point … I couldn’t stand this guy (I don’t know why), but he was the freefly coach at my DZ. I wanted to learn to freefly and do it the right way (with coaching). I went to his tunnel camp and hired him for in the air coaching – he thought me how to sit fly … and grew to like him in the process.

O

My sole criteria for friendships is how good a speller someone is. You're one of the few here that can spell 'ridiculous' correctly, so I'd jump with you anytime.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Sort of but not really.

There is someone here who is really obnoxious- writes posts that are insulting, prejudicial, and clearly intended (has stated so) to piss people off.

But many, many posters have stated how great this person is in real life, and clearly admire and like this person.

And FWIW, most of the skydivers that I have met are really cool.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Sort of but not really.

There is someone here who is really obnoxious- writes posts that are insulting, prejudicial, and clearly intended (has stated so) to piss people off.

But many, many posters have stated how great this person is in real life, and clearly admire and like this person.

Screw you too.:P
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

My sole criteria for friendships is how good a speller someone is. You're one of the few here that can spell 'ridiculous' correctly, so I'd jump with you anytime.

Don

:D
Classic! Nice to finally be recognized for my linguistic compulsiveness.
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

Anyone who has met me in person knows that I'm not the same person as I am online (for the most part ;)). I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels like they can let their hair down online. Yes, I am the #1 Smutsketeer. I have no shame in that because I know who I am. Ever since I moved to a new DZ and have gone to several different boogies I've met alot of people. Typically after the person gets to know me they'll ask if I'm on dz.com. When I tell them my screen name 99.9999% of the time the reaction I get is, "Holy Shit!! That's you? I never would have guessed." So that just goes to show that you can't truly judge a person by their online persona.

Sort of but not really.

Finally a post worth my 10,000 post.

Thanks!!

Sort of but not really.

Thanks!!

You're welcome. I'm honored.

And you aren't mad. What's up with that?:D And no, it wasn't referring to you.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Sort of but not really.

Thanks!!

What the fuck do you mean it wasn't about me????

Sort of but not really.

Thanks!!

What the fuck do you mean it wasn't about me????

I think that he was talking about Skymama... but just didn't want to be banned.

[please note... that was dry sardonic humor.... please don't ban me!!! See... it's funny cuz you're not really obnoxious... have I mentioned "please don't ban me"]

I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels like they can let their hair down online.

If anything I'm the opposite. In the real world I've got a very dry sense of humour that I don't think comes across well on here. Knowing how easily things get misread online, I'm actually more reserved on the forums than I would be if you met me face-to-face.