thegreekone

Lotus/Samurai and availability/viability

Called a major rig manufacturer about viability of Lotus in a certain size container and their response was "gee, I dunno...but I would guess it would pack FAT". Well, duh, even I could have told him that. That said, I am wondering just how "cult" Brian's canopies are? They aren't listed on Sq1, paragear's, or many other dealer websites.

Also, aside from rave reviews from owners (which I totally understand and is at least part of the reason I am looking at a Lotus being my next canopy), I have not seen to many qualitative reviews.

Qs....

1) how much bigger does an airlocked canopy pack (how much bigger does a Lotus pack, than say a like sized stilleto/sabre2, and how does it fit in your rig?

2) Where did you buy your Sam/Lotus and how was the service?

3) Long-term reviews and impression of whole experience

Lotus is compairable to a SaberII not a stiletto, Brian would be very upset if a 125jump newer jumper got his hands on a Sam, (thats a guess) because he recomends a MINIMUM of 300 jumps to fly twitchier mains. PM brian on here (see manufactuer contacts at top of list) I find that once you have the air out of it a Lotus packs up almost the same size as a saberII ... maybe I'm just getting better at packing. after 80+ jumps (I know thats not alot) on my lotus I still love it

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Lotus is compairable to a SaberII not a stiletto, Brian would be very upset if a 125jump newer jumper got his hands on a Sam,

I was referring to availability of his canopies in general and how they packed. I am a long way off from a Samurai, etc.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

I have owned a Sabre 2 230, Lotus 190, Vengeance 170, and just received a Samurai 170. I would say the difference in pack volume is not very noticeable with the larger sizes. I have been told you do notice it more with the smaller canopys. With mine I have just noticed a bit more bulk to the nose.
I purchased my Lotus from a local dealer and the service was excellent. As you probably know the canopys are built by PD. Since Big Air has this relationship with PD the quality is excellent and the build times are, relatively speaking, very reasonable. Brian did offer the Signature Series of the Lotus and Samurai that he built himself but I believe he is no longer offering them. They do have a dealer list on their website. As mentioned earlier you could also send Brian a pm with any questions you have. I have always found Brian to be very friendly and enjoyable to talk about canopies with.
As for impressions I really like the more rigid feel that airlocks give a canopy. My Lotus was a very solid canopy that was predictable but still very fun to fly. It is in the same class as the Sabre 2, Safire 2 and Pilot.

I'm up to probally 450-550 (have'nt logged in a while :$) jumps on Brians canopies. First on the Jedei and now on the Sam. Brian has always been just a phone call away for my support needs. He talked to me for probally 25 minutes out of the blue one day when I called him about different things on my Sam. I am at a point where I'm starting to think about a reline on my canopy and Brian instead told me some stuff I could do to make the openings nicer and postponed the reline by at least 200 more jumps for me. He does relines as soon as he can. In the summer its a bit longer, in the winter its a bit faster. The jumpers that fly airlocks tend to like them a bit more then other people like their canopies. My first Jedei was up to about 1300 jumps and was needing a second reline when I sold it. My current Sam is at probally 500-600 jumps and is flying great still.

I can't wait to get the Swoop line set on it at the reline this fall.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

1) how much bigger does an airlocked canopy pack (how much bigger does a Lotus pack, than say a like sized stilleto/sabre2, and how does it fit in your rig

I think of them as packing one size larger.

My Samurai 136 packs similarly, but a bit smaller than my Stiletto 150.

You order directly from Brian. www.bigairsportz.com. I don't know of any official dealers for his canopies.

Long-term reviews and impression of whole experience

I don't have a lot of jumps on my new Samurai, but I've always been very impressed with every one I've jumped.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

My progression; 500 jumps on Safire 209 (1.2:1), 75 jumps on Safire 190 (1.3:1), and I just bought a Samurai 170 (1.4:1).

Looked at everything out there; read all the reviews, bought Brian's book "The Parachute and it's Pilot", which has a bunch of canopy flight theory. The concept of airlocks just made too much sense to me. Looked for used, but couldn't find one, possible indication of how much people like them and hold on to them. I ordered direct through Brian. Custom made, took 12 weeks for delivery, which is exactly what I was quoted. As previously posted, they are made by PD.

Had many emails and conversations with Brian, to help me make the decision. He was always very helpful, though a bit tough to reach during the summer when he's on the seminar circuit. Might take a few days for him to get back to you.

So far I've only got about 10 jumps on it, so still trying to figure it out, but there isn't anything I don't like and have already found a couple I love. Flying in turbulance used to give me the willies, but the Samurai is solid as a rock, as I'm sure the Lotus would be.

Qs....

1) how much bigger does an airlocked canopy pack (how much bigger does a Lotus pack, than say a like sized stilleto/sabre2, and how does it fit in your rig?

From the Big Air Sportz Owners Manual (can be found online):

The pack volume of our canopies is approx 5% larger than that of a similar sized canopy without an airlock system. Choose your container based on the standard for the size canopy, and adjust your closing loop accordingly.

From my experience with the Samurai 105 this is correct.

I was lucky enough to get, after a long wait, my hands on a second hand Samurai. Contacted Brian about somethings, got excellent replies.

3) Long-term reviews and impression of whole experience

In short: very good. B|
Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done

I think of them as packing one size larger.

Interesting.

So if someone were downsizing, and had already reached the loose-ish end of their container's range, they might consider trying an airlocked main as a way of extending their container's life just a little bit?

(Not that this applies to me - I've just picked a main at the manufacturer's maximum recommended size for the container, and won't be downsizing for oh... a year or two anyway :)
[edit: Never mind. Read the preceding post, and this would appear not to be the case if you can simply adjust your closing loop a tad.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

So if someone were downsizing, and had already reached the loose-ish end of their container's range, they might consider trying an airlocked main as a way of extending their container's life just a little bit?

[edit: Never mind. Read the preceding post, and this would appear not to be the case if you can simply adjust your closing loop a tad.]

It's a fair question, so I'll answer.

Keep in mind that the objective is NOT to jump the smallest canopy possible. The objective is always to jump an appropriate canopy.

If you get to the point where you really want to downsize, but think your container won't hold a smaller main - then yeah, choosing an airlocked canopy might help.

That said, it's a pretty silly reason to buy one of these canopies. There are far better reasons for buying an airlocked main, a good place to start reading is here: http://www.bigairsportz.com/airlocks.php

Airlocked canopies are not "by definition" more high performance than their "standard" competition. At the proper wingloading the Big Air Sportz Lotus is perfectly acceptable for newer jumpers. The Samurai or PD Vengence is not.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.