cocheese

Who is pissed that you jump?

My mom asked me if i'm still jumping.:D I said hell yea. "For $24 i can be Super Man for a minute." She gave me a dirty look and said "Why are you still into that? I thought you were slowing down.":|

I had no idea she was still not happy about jumping.
Moms...:S :D

Who is pissed that you're still jumping?:D

No one was ever pissed about my jumping. My motorcycle on the other hand....

One weekend I decided to make the three hour ride to my folks' place. When I walked in the door in my riding gear she gave me a dirty look and said," it's too far to ride." I replied," what are you talking about? It only took me an hour to get here."

She slapped me. :D

www.FourWheelerHB.com

My parents have always hated that I jump. Being a parent myself, I understand completely - the fear for one's own child's safety gets hard-wired into a parent's brain, and remains there forever. I find that most people who don't understand a parent's intractable fear of their child's skydiving (or motorcycle-riding, etc.) have not yet become parents themselves.

Actually, my mom is almost ok with it. She agreed not to try to convince me to quit if I agreed to always jump with an AAD (yes, she understands it isn't a guarantee) and to not Base.

If I have to go to the DZ to pack leftover student rigs, she likes to come out to see the airport and the hangar - it's really peaceful mid-week.

She hasn't seen me jump yet, but last week I had to fly, and she came out to watch me fly.
She really liked seeing the other guys jump, and said she might be willing to come out and watch me jump sometime this summer.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It could be worse... how would you feel if no one cared one way or another?

Hi Jen,
That would be great as then they would be secure in their own personality!! It's the insecure bastards that when they find out that you jump they go into this big defensive trip about,"WHY THEY DON'T JUMP!!" Oh Brother! I want to just walk away.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

My wife HATES that I skydive, hates that I talk to skydivers online, hates anything to do with skydiving. My mum thinks it's stupid to put your life at risk. I just had a baby, 4 months ago which makes it even worse. My friends think it's naff. The only people who like it are the people I speak to on here and at the DZ (other skydivers).
Unfortunately I can't share that I managed my first sitfly today, which is kind of a shame, having said that I totally understand why they don't like it - it IS putting your life in danger, that's the reality, the only problem is that I became kind of obsessed with the whole thing. I always think - just one more jump and I'll leave it at that...

mom's not really pissed, rather worried. but after a serious talk, she seems to be ok tough. dad thinks its a waste of money, and he's not even wrong with it.. :D
then there was the nagging GF that once said: "as soon as its nice weather or the weekend, you're at the dropzone!". also she wasnt wrong with it. i'm much rather hang around at an airport than to listen to her nagging..

i'm a much more happy person tough! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

My Mum hated it at first probably more through ignorance. She's used to hearing on these WW2 documentaries that 5% of all drops are fatal or whatever the figure is. Once I talked her round she even bought me an audible as it was her little way of making it a bit safer for me. The deal is that I don't get a motorbike, something I've been crazy about since I was a nipper

It could be worse... how would you feel if no one cared one way or another?

that's where i sit:D:D:D
those who have known me for a long time probably think it's a better way to go than drugs or booze :D:D:D:D

My epitaph will look way cooler with "Died Skydiving" than died of an OD or Died of Alcohol poisoning
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

WTF? Did they think this was all just a "phase"?

Come on it's been 20 years... you mean you aren't going haven't grown out of it yet?

I don't know of anyone that's "pissed" that I jump... she certainly wants me to be safe when I do it but she knows I enjoy it and accepts that I'm going to continue... (she has implied that the next time she comes out to the dz shes going to ride in the plane... B|

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

My mom hates it. I understand her fear, but I wish she'd be a little more open to my doing something that makes me really happy.

I'm going home next week for the first time in two and a half years (I was going to go straight home, but now it looks like there'll be a detour to Skydive San Marcos and then to Skydive Houston:)

I got nuthin

My mom hates it.

To my utter and complete shock, my old fashion, traditional, coming from a developing country, mom thinks it's is the coolest thing ever ... even after my injury. She can't believe that the sensitive, timid, frail child that was always bullied growing up, has the balls to skydive ...

O