mdrejhon

Need to buy my own rubber bands. Also, I need an easy "broken rubberband remover" technique.

What tool? I didn't see your original message...

Anyway, I can't even fit my closing pin into the rubber band. My loops are too tight, and rubber bands are too tight.

I may try the friction method first and see if it works, but not with my rigger power tool (which I just ordered too), so I don't want to wear that tool out. I'll probably test using the freebie pull up cords by Performance Designs that they give out at the dropzone. My hands are already sore from packing, so I'm not too keen on the friction method.

One can argue that one can learn to use any method safely...

I tried the yank method once, never again. Blah!

that tool thing that was linked to earlier, the silver bar with a string.. I tried to use one once, it pissed me off, and I went back to the free trusty pull up cord :D

But some people think they are easier I guess...

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I almost got blisters trying to close my container and double-stowing tandem rubber bands. (It's a lot easier to single stow with the smaller bands) So anything that avoids wear and tear on my hands would be nice (which is why I am not too keen on the friction method) I suspect that I'm squeezing a 170 into a container designed for a 150, or that it may be the canopy is very new-looking and loves to fluff up, even while it's already inside the bag. I balance all my weight on my knees on the bag, yet I still have to pull with considerable force to close the container.

I'm happy to experiment with tools. I actually ordered two different brands of cheap goggles before I decided I preferred SORZ. I'll try the rigger power tool and see if I like it. If not, it'll collect dust, wear it, keep it as a spare, or I'll give it as a gift ;)

Would not a temporary locking pin be just the ticket? I've used one for removing broken rubber bands for years. Works just fine and can't damage your bag/canopy.

Better yet...for ham handed half blind OLD guys,

LIKE ME!:$

I use one of those old can opener thingies, It's not sharp enough to do any damage, has a decent size handle for leverage, just put the triangle point at the underside of the knot cover the top side with your thumb and pull....INSTANT success!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Would not a temporary locking pin be just the ticket? I've used one for removing broken rubber bands for years. Works just fine and can't damage your bag/canopy.

Better yet...for ham handed half blind OLD guys,

LIKE ME!:$

I use one of those old can opener thingies, It's not sharp enough to do any damage, has a decent size handle for leverage, just put the triangle point at the underside of the knot cover the top side with your thumb and pull....INSTANT success!B|

You know, you could put your eye out with one of those things. You don't wanna get your eye poked out now do you? ;)

You know, you could put your eye out with one of those things. You don't wanna get your eye poked out now do you?

Small price to pay for having an excuse to have a BEER opener on ya when yer jumpin'!:)

So anything that avoids wear and tear on my hands would be nice (which is why I am not too keen on the friction method)

Like first guy said. Pull-up cord's just 3 quick swipes and you're done. Free. No "wear and tear" on the hands. And no fiddling with tools that probably won't, but can snip your loops. That's just from my experience anyway. (Which isn't worth much)

"My favorite manuever is passing out, and waking up on the ground."

That tool from Germany looks interesting. Is that tool sold anywhere in a store?

No, its not sold anywhere in a store, i believe my friend is the only one that makes and sells them. PM me if you want his email adress, i think he has mailed other rigging stuff to the US before.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

Blatz? Wow! they still brew that? I tried it once, a long time ago and recall, it wasn't bad. That's gotta be a pretty old church key.:D

In regard to removing broken rubber-bands, I use a pair of small surgical scissors. If, they are on really tight, I'll snip the broken ends as close to the knot as I can. I then, peel the remainder from the retainer loop with my thumb.
One thing I've found to help lengthen the life of rubber-bands is, not dragging the band across the inner edge of the grommet for the locking stoes. I pull the rubber-band straight-up through the hole of the grommet, taking care to not drag it across the grommet.

Chuck

I almost got blisters trying to close my container and double-stowing tandem rubber bands.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Careful which rubber bands you use on sport gear.
I was under the impression that Gananoque was a Vector tandem DZ.
Vector and Sigma tandems use some mighty wide rubber bands specially made for tandems. Double-wide bands (made for Vector tandems) are probably too tight for hop and pops and the super heavy duty rubber bands (made for military tandems) should never be used on sport gear.

I use a fixed blade utility knife, being left handed ;)I find the retractable knife are just an accident waiting to happen, been there, done that, seen it happen.

also I check all the stows before starting to pack my canopy, this way there is no chance of ever nicking the canopy if I was to slip.Cois the bands are all changed before the canopy gets near the Bag.
Fly like an aardvark

I'm really surprised how many people use tools/knives to get rubber bands off. I always used to just break them off by hand. It's really not very hard. But every once in a while I'd have one that just wouldn't break so I'd have to find another way. Never ever used a sharp tool to get one off though. I finally realized that if you just don't tighten the knot so much either when putting a new band on or when trying to get it off, the closing pin will slide in easily and get the job done painlessly in a few seconds. Never done the pullup cord trick... it's all the way over at my container. The pin is right next to me. My gear bag is even farther. And I'm lazy.

Dave

Just use your teeth if your fingers cant do the job !!

Are you crazy? It already hurts your fingers if one of those rubber bands snaps the wrong way when you pull it off. I'm sure as hell not going to let those little bastards snap me on my lips like that. I might end up with swollen lips like Angeline Jolie...

The tandem rubber bands they use are about the same width as the small rubber bands, and double-stow had approximately the same tightness as single stow of small bands (approximately...not exactly) -- it's merely stretching it to doublestow that was the pesky challenge, I really hate doing that. However, I will be heeding warnings and going to the small bands when I receive them.

I don't doublestow the locking stows or the first two stows though (where the steering line branches out to multiple lines), because I'm using the slightly thicker older lines - Vector 2 had only 175 jumps and probably using original lines. Canopy is almost mint condition. Openings of my Sabre 1 have been predictably brisk, not painful, just plain "brisk", over my last several packings - it's simply the heading of the opening that's unpredictable (this still appears to happen no matter whether I pack or someone else does).

My opening speed appeared to remain unaffected (approximately 700-800 feet from actual throw to open canopy, or about 1000 feet from the waveoff before the actual throw), but I will definitely be monitoring this more accurately by glancing my altimeter during the waveoff before and after I replace all the bands at once (out of sheer curiousity).

During a hop-n-pop, I open within 500 feet. Out at 3500, under canopy at 3000. So I seem to snivel for a much shorter period during a hop and pop. (I still usually use the standard stable relative wind exit for hop-n-pop, and pull immediately as soon as I am square to Earth)

I have been hearing 700-800 feet is quite normal for a non-hard Sabre 1 opening. Is this correct?

Mark, I have a pretty large bag of the small rubber band stows that probably would take me 10 more years to go through at my current jumping rate, and I obviously bought way too many of them (ordered them 6 years ago). I'll give you a good sized portion of them. Just PM me an address.

As for removing the stubborn broken pieces, my hook knife does the trick easily, if you're careful. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One thing I've found to help lengthen the life of rubber-bands is, not dragging the band across the inner edge of the grommet for the locking stoes. I pull the rubber-band straight-up through the hole of the grommet, taking care to not drag it across the grommet.

Another quick tip to lengthen the life...

Silicone Spray the little buggers before you put them on...makes 'em last 4-5 times longer, been doing that for YEARS and no... it's never hurt the lines.

Another quick tip to lengthen the life...

Silicone Spray the little buggers before you put them on...makes 'em last 4-5 times longer, been doing that for YEARS and no... it's never hurt the lines.

That is a heckuva good idea! The Silicone also acts as a lubricant, reducing friction between the rubber-band and the grommet.
Also, I don't know of one good reason why the Silicone would hurt anything. It is what is used on Cypres closing loops.

Chuck

Billy, thanks for the offer but too late! I ordered a a full pound of them already, and I heard that the bands become somewhat weak after a few years anyway!

However, I could certainly use a new lineset, a helmet (medium size), and my own jumpsuit (5'9", average build). ;) Just kidding!

I'm scrambling to finish paying off my rig debt (70% paid off, probably by the end of the month) before I buy those. Have my own rig, altimeter, goggles, hook knife, rigger tool, bands, gloves, gear bag now. Then I have to get a helmet and a jumpsuit. My dropzone's been graciously letting me use the dropzone helmet/jumpsuits for free until then. Oh boy, how am I ever going to pay for an October Florida trip... (windtunnel, Scott Miller, and DWR all rolled into one vacation!) :S ;)