skymama

Issues with starting a car

Besides the battery (which was checked) what are the main reasons why one would have trouble getting a car to start? My son has started having trouble with his car, a '98 Taurus. It sounds like it's trying to turn over, then it does a little chug and stops. It will do that on a few trys but when he lets the engine sit a minute or so, it will finally start.

Thoughts? I'm trying not to put a lot of money in this car since it is such a clunker, I'm just not ready to get him a new one yet so I'm hoping this is something cheap.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hard to trouble shoot a car problem from over the net!!1
Is the battery holding a full charge?
Starter?
Fuel Pressure??

Don't really know what to tell you from here other then have it looked at by a tech you trust...sorry...maybe someone else can help ya better:|

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

We have a mechanic we trust, he's on vacation!

What about the spark plugs? Can they affect starting the car?
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I can actually think of a few things that would explain what you are describing. But if you have to ask, you are unable to repair any of them yourself. You are still left going to a mechanic. I don't know about your mechanic, but mine typically diagnoses a problem for no charge and tells me what it will cost before beginning work. Someone who can actually hear, see, touch the car is in a much better position to diagnose the problem.

Sorry.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Terminology problem here...

It sounds like it's trying to turn over or does it sound like it's trying to start? Trying to turn over would indicate a starter or battery problem. Trying to start would indicate fuel, air, or spark problem.

It will do that on a few trys but when he lets the engine sit a minute or so, it will finally start. Does it run OK once it starts?

Sounds like fuel to me, but it's hard to say. Fuel issues can run from a plugged fuel filter or bad fuel pump to bad injectors, and everything in between. Your mechanic will most likely start by measuring fuel pressure at the injector rail. Either way you need a qualified pro to figure it out.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Since you probably can't identify the starter - get a 3lb hammer and hit everything inside the hood couple of times. NO breaking please!

It scares the shit out of parts and they listen then.

On the other hand - I don't think you should beleive to a "typical ranter" half way across the world.
What goes around, comes later.

On the other hand - I don't think you should beleive to a "typical ranter" half way across the world.

and i think its YOU thats half way across the world; and the whiny post identifies you as a "typical ranter"..

dayum, some people.. :S

on the other hand: you cant be famous if you dont have haters!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

It sounds like it's trying to turn over or does it sound like it's trying to start? Trying to turn over would indicate a starter or battery problem. Trying to start would indicate fuel, air, or spark problem.

Ah...well I would say it's trying to start then. Once started, it runs ok....it kind of has that low chug, chug, chug sound but it doesn't turn off. Well, it hasn't yet!

Ah...well I would say it's trying to start then. Once started, it runs ok....it kind of has that low chug, chug, chug sound but it doesn't turn off. Well, it hasn't yet!

I'm still thinking fuel then.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

sounds like the battery to me; or the alternator.. ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

hey :)
I wasn't trying to sound whiny, a "typical ranter" thing was directed personally to he_knows_who.

Anyway, you should grab hammer too

edit: gotta jump, you may pray for tripple mal, no EP etc.

What goes around, comes later.

I drive a "Broke More than Working" (BMW) and recently had issues with it. I left my iPod charger plugged in while I was gone for a week, skiing in Utah.

First, I had to replace the battery, that was drained and couldn't hold the charge anymore. Than I had to replace the alternator, which got ruined in the process of me figuring out the battery is "kaput". The next thing I was going for was the alternator :)
A mechanic will be able to test all this stuff for you ... you're better off taking it to a shop.

O

Besides the battery (which was checked) what are the main reasons why one would have trouble getting a car to start? My son has started having trouble with his car, a '98 Taurus. It sounds like it's trying to turn over, then it does a little chug and stops. It will do that on a few trys but when he lets the engine sit a minute or so, it will finally start.

Thoughts? I'm trying not to put a lot of money in this car since it is such a clunker, I'm just not ready to get him a new one yet so I'm hoping this is something cheap.

First, clarify some terms for me.

When you say "trying to turn over" do you really mean "trying to fire"?

Turning over means (to me) when the starter is cranking the motor - turning it over to get it to start.

If it's behaving normally other than not starting when you turn the key, then the battery and starter are ok.

If it's sort of firing, but not staying running (runs just a little bit while cranking, or runs for just a second then quits) then the first thing would be fuel or spark.

If it runs fine after it starts then I would check the plugs first. If it stumbles when it's running (especially under hard acceleration), then I would think fuel filter.

How long has it been since the plugs and fuel filter were changed (last tune up)?

Spark plugs are usually easy (as long as you can reach them).

Fuel filters can be easy, medium or mechanic only depending on where they are.

A good investment is a shop manual. Haynes or Chilton are the most popular. The factory book is best, but those aren't cheap.

Knowing a bit about how the car works is always a good idea, even if you don't want to do the work yourself. And for a poor 18 year old, it can be priceless.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A girl popping into the guy zone of cars.....:P

It can be the battery cables. Check to see any gunk has built up on the terminal and if no look at the cable all the way from the terminal to the other end. Easiest problem to be fix. But depends on the car and which cable, can be a few hundred.

Next problem can be clogged fuel filter but if that is it you'd notice it while driving the car too. You'd feel a serge every now and then. But little surges can also be a clutch issue, so can a starting the car.(If it is a standard car)

The altinator was brought up and you can ck that with a simple trick. Start the car and then disconnect the positive battery cable. If the car dies it is the altinator if it doesn't it is not.

If you want a good honest shop to take his car to a friend of my sisters is great. He is who my car sees...[Laugh].

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

If you want a good honest shop to take his car to a friend of my sisters is great. He is who my car sees...

We do have an honest mechanic, a friend of my husband's, but he's on vacation. The nerve to go away on a holiday weekend! :ph34r:

The car is pretty crappy, (the kind of car all kids should have for their first car!), so if this repair is more than $100, I'm probably not even going to bother with it and will look for something better. He needs a reliable car so he can come home and see his Mommy every weekend when he goes off to college anyway. :P

I'm still thinking fuel then.

I am no mechanic, and I did not stay in a holday inn express last night. However i'm gonna say fuel or spark plugs are suspect here. You could possibly even have a bad o2 sensor, but that would probably cause the check engine light to come on.

If it runs once you get it started, I'd say deal with it till your mechanic gets back. As long as the thing has oil in it and the engine light isn't on, and it's not over heating, I'd lean towards you are ok. I would drive it as little as possible till the mechanic could look at it though.

Hi skymama!!!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Oh, is this the kid you're sending off to that monastery? Do they really allow them furloughs off-campus?

Only if they're going home to see their mothers. :ph34r:

That says to me the problem is ignition of fuel.

If it starts rough & gets smoother, I suspect 10 year old spark plug wires, if they were never changed, would be the first thing I throw away & replace. Plugs also.

If the fuel pump was weak the engine wouldn't pull under heavy load. If it was really bad injectors it would never smooth out. I keep coming back to the ignition system.

Decades ago, when I was desperately poor, I had a car that had bad plug wires. When it started cold, it ran on about 4 cylinders. I'd nurse the car down the street to the stop sigh & about there it would start to run on 5 cylinders. About a half mile down the road the wires would warm enough that the engine would finally run on all 6 cylinders. When I finally scraped together the extra $4 & replace the wires it ran like new again (it was a 68 Falcon 170 inch 75 horsepower, 3-on-the-tree, stripped basic transportation).
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Try this web site. You may have heard the radio show. They're funny but they both have PhDs for MIT and run an auto repair shop in Boston.

http://cartalk.com/
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

There is one single thing to try first before you spend a lot of money on all the other things people are telling you to do.

It could be as simple as the starter not getting a good electrical connection from the battery.

Remove the battery cables where they connect to the battery. If there is a lot of corrosion and build-up of crusty stuff there, that's probably the problem. Clean 'em down to shiny metal with a wire brush, and screw 'em back into place.

Costs nothing. Has a dramatic effect.

I have to do this about once a year on my Blazer when it gets sluggish to start.