riggerrob

Vortex 2 secrets?

Does anyone have any advice about packing Vortex 2 reserve pilotchutes so that they sit pretty and no pilot chute fabric gets exposed?

Yes, I have tried all the tricks in the manual and it still took me three tries before the customer was satisfied. If I tighten the closing loop any more, I will start bending the ripcord pin. Tolerances are ridiculously tight on Vortex 2 closing loops.

Vortex 2 seems to suffer from the same problem as recent Wings containers: in an effort to make them look "pretty" designers have made the side flaps so tight that it requires "God's gift to rigging" to conceal pilot chute fabric.
This is a step backwards in the evolution of container design.

Grumble, grumble!

If the canopy is packed up neatly and flat, it's rather difficult to hide the PC material and seat the PC properly.

The design of the rig seems to lean toward the sloppier or bulkier pack job rather than a neat tidy flat one.

Try to pack the parachute a skinnier than you are used to, so there is more bulk in the middle rather than to the sides. Try to Create an S-fold that is bulky toward the bottom. The top needs to be full enough to look ok.. but not so full the riser covers are pushed open just like the old Javelin.

After the parachute is in the freebag, don't waste too much time pushing the canopy out to the sides with the packing paddle. Just push enough out so the pilot chute will sit low enough.

I suspect you know this one but after the freebag is in the container, be sure to reach under the freebag and push the lines (in the pouch) out of the way of the closing loop.

I pack flat and neatly and have had to go against common sense to make that type of rig look good.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I think there is value in having a rig that a rigger can look forward to as easy to pack.

These comments from very experienced riggers reinforces my opinion that there is no value in a partially exposed PC.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

*bump*

I'm stuck with a Vortex 2 and I've got no reserve packing manual to guide me.

Does it exists? ....or do you just pack it like a jav?
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no