dmetz

Paypal or not?

Been a long time since I've needed it, but do people still use Paypal? I've heard several horror stories that lead me to believe that its not the way to go anymore, but has there been any changes in the way they handle things? Or are there better alternatives? I'm selling some gear and want to do it right. If you have some relevant insight, please post. I'd rather not have this turn into a complaint thread, I really don't have the time to read through all the bs. Thanks.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

Been a long time since I've needed it, but do people still use Paypal? I've heard several horror stories that lead me to believe that its not the way to go anymore, but has there been any changes in the way they handle things? Or are there better alternatives? I'm selling some gear and want to do it right. If you have some relevant insight, please post. I'd rather not have this turn into a complaint thread, I really don't have the time to read through all the bs. Thanks.

I still use it on occasion, mostly for purchases when direct payment is not available or allowed. I've never had any issues with them and have no reservations about continuing to use them.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It's seems quite common these days to specify Paypal deals to add a percentage to cover the fees since they are extortionate. It is worth noting that eBay (who own and force you to use Paypal) do not allow this practice. As always, cash is still king.

It's seems quite common these days to specify Paypal deals to add a percentage to cover the fees since they are extortionate. It is worth noting that eBay (who own and force you to use Paypal) do not allow this practice. As always, cash is still king.

Funny - If you receive money by paypal as a private user, you get charged less than a 1% more than a business that will take your credit card.

Paypal works well. The charges are reasonable (unless of course you think all businesses should work for free).

Send a regular check - wait 2-4 days for the mail, and up to 2 weeks for it to clear.
Send a Money order - pay $3-$7 to make it, wait 2-4 days for the mail, and then wait for it to clear.
Send a wire transfer- pay $10-$30 to send it, the recipient will pay $10-$20 to receive it, but it's instant .
Send Western Union - pay a certain percentage to send, it's instant.
Somehow get to where the gear is and pay cash - cost of gas/airfaire.

All those transactions also involve opportunity cost, with paypal having the lowest, unless you have the person meet you somewhere where you are already going.

Paypal let some a$$h0le into my son's account, changed the password, and emptied his account over the phone. They still haven't fixed their mistake and my son is out hundreds of dollars. How good is that?

How exactly did paypal "let" someone into your sons account ? And how (and where) did the account get "emptied" into, especially how was it done over the phone ?

Something is not adding up in your story, or in the way you tell it.

also, from their User Agreement :

2.1 Eligibility. To be eligible for our Services, you must be at least 18 years old and a resident of the United States or one of the countries listed...

whole agreement here :
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/ua_pop-outside&popup=1

how exactly does your 17 year old have an account ?

Do both your banks allow email money transfers?

My bank does. As long as both our banks participate in the program, I put in a person's name and email address as the payee, put in a password for them, put in the amount I want to transfer.

They receive an email from me saying there's a transfer waiting, they have to login to their online banking, follow the instructions and the money gets transferred to their account.

It costs me $1.50 to do. Check into it.
'Shell

Paypal let some a$$h0le into my son's account, changed the password, and emptied his account over the phone. They still haven't fixed their mistake and my son is out hundreds of dollars. How good is that?

I had an a**hole sell me a piece of network gear with an unrecoverable password, which made it a large paperweight. I even contacted the mfgr, but since the SN tag was gone, there was nothing they could do. The seller ignored all my emails, and a week later his eBay account was gone.

I contacted eBay; They said "contact PayPal".

I contacted PayPal: They asked if I had received anything. When I said I had, they informed me that IF THE SELLER SHIPPED ME *SOMETHING*, *ANYTHING*, THEN THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO.

i.e. their "buyer protection" doesn't mean squat.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I had an a**hole sell me a piece of network gear with an unrecoverable password, which made it a large paperweight. I even contacted the mfgr, but since the SN tag was gone, there was nothing they could do. The seller ignored all my emails, and a week later his eBay account was gone.

I contacted eBay; They said "contact PayPal".

I contacted PayPal: They asked if I had received anything. When I said I had, they informed me that IF THE SELLER SHIPPED ME *SOMETHING*, *ANYTHING*, THEN THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO.

i.e. their "buyer protection" doesn't mean squat.

And how long ago was this ? I have had numerous successful chargebacks for items I received that were not as stated. Keep in mind there's a big difference for pre-eBay acquired paypal.

Paypal was good for the few times that I used it, until they put me in a Catch 22...

I originally registered with an email address that later became obsolete. When I logged into PayPal to change the email address, it said that I first had to confirm my identity or ownership of the account by using the code or link that would be sent to the currently registered email address (now obsolete), which of course I could no longer access because the mailbox no longer exists.
I sent 2 emails to Paypal support explaining the problem and received no reply.
I had no other choice but to cancel the account and re-register.[:/]
Oddly enough, I did not need a confirmed email to cancel the account.

I haven't had any problems with them but I don't use the service that often. I think they charge a bit too much when you sell on eBay but then again, I looked at it as the cost of doing a good business. I never would have gotten the price that I did for my last sale if I hadn't had eBay and Paypal. The auction ended late in the evening, I was paid within a half hour and my item was in the mail by 7:30 the next morning. You look at the what you're charged and think "damn, that seems like a lot" but I don't know of a more efficient option.