JohnDeere

Gas main leak!

I live about 300 Yrds from a gas well. It had a leak this last Monday. From my understanding it was a pressure relief valve (on the main feed line that comes from the well) that blew off. It was sparying natural gas 100 ft in the air for about 3-4 hours. It basiclly cover my house, shop, yard, tree's, pool, spa, cars, trailers trucks and more. From what they are telling us it was a salt and water mixture. But it has a sticky feel to it even days later. So there has to be more to it than salt and water (I think some oil). Need some advice on what to expect with this crap on all my stuff. Also what is the best way to deal with the owner of the gas line. What i need to be asking them to fix/clean. Also any hidden thing that may be damaged (A/C unit., shop etc.). Already had a guy come look at my tree's (leaves curling). Just need some info on what else may have been coming out of that line, and how to deal with this.
Thanks for any info!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Nat gas is very corrisive to painted and powder coated items....the reason we ( I am a lic Plumber ) are not allowed to use galv pipe to run gas line in, it will peel the galv coating right off. I do not know how it will react with shingles and other normal outside items....good luck

Great thats one more thing to think about. Part of my yard has a galvinized pipe around it[:/] The other part is wood.

Sounds like an ugly mess. Watch out for kids and pets touching anything that was exposed to that stuff.
Curling leaves sounds really bad.
It would probably be good to document things. Take pictures & video.
Start a journal and list daily observations.
Try Erin Brockovich for info.
Randomly call contractors and ask them what they think or who to contact.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Call the governmental division that permitted the gas well site. Call your city council/county commissioner and talk to them. It may be the only way to get the gas well operator to clean up the mess is to get the people who permit them to make them. Also if you live in a city limit call the environmental management division to tell them. They may not know.

Good Luck and keep calling.
A man without a mustache is like a hamburger without a bun, Un-American.

Thanks yall i have called the railroad comition and have a meeting with the company officials that own the well in the morning. I just want to make sure im covering all my bases.

Thanks yall i have called the railroad comition and have a meeting with the company officials that own the well in the morning. I just want to make sure im covering all my bases.

Hi JD

If possiable take a recorder machine or friend (who can taake notes) with you to the meeting.

IMO the mtg may be premature until you know the extent of the damages and what your dealing with long term. I doubt the company people will be looking after your best interests.

Good luck:|
One Jump Wonder

No shit. Salt is going to kill all the plants and corrode everything else. And I mean everything, I believe even plastics will be affected but certainly any metal that is exposed to it.

Edit: Yesterday someone at the test stand had a bunch of pictures of a high pressure gas line that a farmer hit with an implement. Holy cow! I bet you can see the damage from the space station. A whole field and several homes were destroyed.

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Met with the company reps. and they pretty much blew us off when we said we want dirt samples and the stuff on everything else tested. Then talked to the inspector for the railroad comition and told him what they said. He called the main guy and told him they better get back over here and bring and independent tester to get and test samples. :D So we will see. I would still like some info on what this stuff will do long term.