jcd11235

Cyclists, is your front brake lever on your left or your right?

When I bought my most recent bicycle, the first thing I did was to put my front brake lever on the right and my rear brake lever on the left. This configuration makes more sense to me (personally), since most of my stopping power comes from the front brake and I'm right handed. I rarely even use my rear brake.

I know that in the US, it's most common to have the rear brake on the right and the front brake on the left. I also realize that in some countries, the opposite configuration is typical. What is your preference, and why?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Left.

The power you need on the lever is minimal in my opinion.

One big use of the rear brake is when in a pack or paceline, if you do need to slow down very very slightly, you would keep on pedaling while applying very low level and precise amount of break in the back. I think having a setup that allows you more precision to the rear is better.

EDIT: besides, its alot more mucking around to switch the sides now with integrated brake/shifters :ph34r:

Remster

Left.

The power you need on the lever is minimal in my opinion.

One big use of the rear brake is when in a pack or paceline, if you do need to slow down very very slightly, you would keep on pedaling while applying very low level and precise amount of break in the back. I think having a setup that allows you more precision to the rear is better.

That makes sense. I tend to ride alone or with only one other person, so I never considered that.

EDIT: besides, its alot more mucking around to switch the sides now with integrated brake/shifters :ph34r:

Shifters? You must have one of them newfangled fancy bikes with more than one gear!
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

When I bought my most recent bicycle, the first thing I did was to put my front brake lever on the right and my rear brake lever on the left. This configuration makes more sense to me, since most of my stopping power comes from the front brake and I'm right handed. I rarely even use my rear brake.

Right. You have better dexterity in your right hand, braking forces go up when the rims get wet, and it's consistent with motorcycles.

Every bike I have had since I was 10 has had the front brake moved to the right handlebar. I learned to ride motorcycles when I was 10. I HATE riding other peoples bikes with the brake on the left.

I would surely endo if I rode your bike.B|
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

Every bike I have had since I was 10 has had the front brake moved to the right handlebar. I learned to ride motorcycles when I was 10. I HATE riding other peoples bikes with the brake on the left.

I would surely endo if I rode your bike.B|

I did that a few years back after riding a dirtbike all day.

Was coming up on a driveway pretty quick and grabbed a fistfull of brake to slide the back tire. Grabbed the wrong one. B|

Im not sure what is more shocking, that little rhyme or that the police actually have a bike school.

I thought it was standard to have it on the left, at least in the US.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

It is weird, because I ride a dirt bike that has been converted to an auto clutch (rekluse) so that there is no clutch lever, only brakes. I still am ingrained such that when I am on a bicycle, I expect rear wheel lock up with right lever, so when I get on my dirt bike I have to remember it for a second. But riding a normal street bike is no problem, clutch on left. I guess my brain is ok with remembering when I am on a bike or BIKE.

The rear brake is on the right... and for that matter... it is the brake I'm more likely to go for first... because if I apply too much braking power on my front brakes (without applying the rear brakes) I'm more likely to go flip the bike in just about any situation...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...