ltdiver

Stopped paying for MCI!

Finally started cutting the string to my home phone today! Verizon is my area's local service company. MCI was my chosen long distance carrier for years.

What gripped me was that with not even making any long distance calls they still charged a "Program Fee" that, with taxes and such, added up to about $12/month! >:(

Don't know why I waited so long. I've made all my long distance calls on my cell phone for the past many years.

Feels nice to know that the $150 I'd have thrown away per year has stopped.

Next will be the home phone's local service. It is used for incoming calls mostly (to not use up all my cell phone minutes). No charge for those. :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The next step would be to go voip. If you work it right you can get free inbound calls the only investment would be a $40 analog telephone adapter. (Grandstream HT-286)

Look at Gizmo5, SipGate, Inphonex, IPkall, MagicJack, voip.ms, and things like that.

Example, I have a Gizmo5 account attached to an ipkall number (425 area code) that is my Fax line.

I have a Sipgate account attached to a sipgate one number (415 area code) that my Magic jack (614 area code) number is forwarded to.

Result, Free inbound calls and faxes, outbound for a pretty cheap rate when I use outbound.
But I'm a geek and have a free software based IP-PBX installed at home, softphones on our laptops and the ATA at home running all of the phones. www.elastix.org

I haven't had a land line in about 6 years now. Great decision, especially since the last year of the land line it was used exclusively for telemarketers and pizza orders.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."