Remster

Lance is out

After yesterday's stage at the Tour De France, its pretty obvious Lance is in no shape to challenge Contador. While part of me was rooting for him, I had doubts from the start, especially with Contador on the same team, but his acceleration up Verbier yesterday was mindblowing...

Still, not bad at all for a 37 year old! My guess is he may finish in the top 5, but that's about it.

Edit: out of the race for the win, but he hasn't dropped out.
Remster

I would never count Lance out, but Contador seems the stronger one on the team and I think Lance is man enough to let him win because he deserves it, and well it might not really be up to Lance.

I'd put Lance in top 3 if he pushes it, but if not top 5.

For 37 not bad at all indeed.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

If he was running his own race with the support of a team, maybe top 3. But with Contador clearly the team's captain, Lance will have to push hard on the start of the climbs to push and break the peloton, and that will not help him finish well. Especially with Levi out, it will be up to him and Kloden.
Remster

Let's see 37, out for almost 4 years, broken shoulder a few months ago, and still holding 2nd with his specialty a time trial up to come.
Yea not bad is an understatement

Contador and Lance are both benefiting from being on the same team. Contador is a stud for sure whines a bit much to the media for me to really root for him.

Watching the race in HD has been great the scenery is amazing

Contador very well may be the team captain but I'd be willing to bet that Lance is calling a lot of the shots regarding strategy and such...

but like others have said I wouldn't count Lance out yet... and for all we know getting Contador and subsiquently the team the yellow jersey may be precisely why he is in the tour anyhow...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

and still holding 2nd with his specialty a time trial up to come.

You realize that Contador is Spain's TT champion, right?

Don't get me wrong. What Lance is doing is remarkable! But he is being out-raced by Alberto.

And I really dont think Lance is calling the shots within Astana. Bruyneel is no rookie.
Remster

I don't think I said he was going to win it. I just said how amazing what he is doing is. Coming in second to Contador his teammate is freaking great and nothing to hold your head down about. And again they are both pushing each other into a 1-2 finish, If Levi hadn't gone down Astana could have easily finished 1,2,3 has any team EVER done that before.

I don't think I said he was going to win it. I just said how amazing what he is doing is. Coming in second to Contador his teammate is freaking great and nothing to hold your head down about. And again they are both pushing each other into a 1-2 finish, If Levi hadn't gone down Astana could have easily finished 1,2,3 has any team EVER done that before.

He wont be able to hold on to 2nd IMO. His job will now be to lead Contador into the Pyrenees.
Remster

Extremely doubtful you'd ever see a 1, 2, 3 finish, or even a 1-2 finish. Like someone else mentioned, as they move into the big hills every member of the team aside from the "leader" will have to give all they've got to get the leader where they need to be. Look at people like Hincapie. He's a stronger all around rider than many other teams leaders, but for 7 tours his job was getting lance where he needed to be. There aren't enough members on the team (especially with LL gone) to have either lance or Alberto holding anything back for themselves. If the team wants to take the yellow into Paris, then the team will have to make a tough decision very soon, if they haven't already. Lance is obviously a sentimental favorite, but i hope if it is him that needs to step up as a domestique that he'll stand by the comments he's been making about "someone" needing to realize what will be necessary when the time comes.
Killing threads since 2004.