kkeenan

Apollo 11 Aniversary

NASA PLAYS AUDIO "TIME CAPSULE" OF HISTORIC APOLLO 11 MISSION

NASA will provide a unique audio "time capsule" in observance of the 40th anniversary of the first human landing on the moon. Audio from the entire Apollo 11 mission will be replayed and streamed on the Internet at exactly the same time and date it was broadcast in 1969.

The audio retrospective will begin at 7:32 a.m. EDT Thursday, July 16, two hours before the spacecraft launched. The audio will continue through splashdown of the mission at 12:51 p.m. EDT Friday, July 24, and recovery of the crew shortly afterward. The Web stream will feature the communications between the astronauts and ground teams, and commentary from Mission Control at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

To listen to the replay, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/apollo11_radio

For historical information about Apollo 11, visit: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/history/apollo/apollo11

NASA's Apollo 40th anniversary Web site provides easy access to various agency resources and multimedia about the program and the history of human spaceflight, including a gallery of Apollo multimedia features. The site is online at: http://www.nasa.gov/apollo40th

My dad had just bought a new camera. A "Super 8mm film camera. I burned up a roll of film recording the live TV broadcast of the event. I still have the reel. Going now to click on your link and listen.....
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

To me, this is bittersweet. It was an amazing thing in an amazing time, but i look around today and wonder if we will ever accomplish anything like that ever again.

Back then we asked "How can we do this?"

Now all we ask is "How much does it cost?"

We've become this jaded, bitter, divided society that seems to be afraid to dream, derisive of dreamers, and more worried about the short term bottom line than what things mean in the long term.

Is there room in this country for a new Kelly Johnson or Werner Von Braun? Sadly, i have to say that i just don't see it. It's a damned shame.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

To me, this is bittersweet. It was an amazing thing in an amazing time, but i look around today and wonder if we will ever accomplish anything like that ever again.

Back then we asked "How can we do this?"

Now all we ask is "How much does it cost?"

We've become this jaded, bitter, divided society that seems to be afraid to dream, derisive of dreamers, and more worried about the short term bottom line than what things mean in the long term.

Is there room in this country for a new Kelly Johnson or Werner Von Braun? Sadly, i have to say that i just don't see it. It's a damned shame.

I totally understand. It seems now it's all about how much is spent on the program. Just last week I sat in a room with the crew that just launched. I was in awe of the talent. Research is where it's at and we've only scratched the surface. Go Endeavour!!

http://eaglelander3d.com/

I'm an Apollo 11 buff myself. I still remember seeing it on our b&w tv. The site above is a free download of a lunar lander that's very realistic. 25 bucks for the full version. Putting that tin can down on the moon with only a few seconds of fuel left was the gutsiest thing I've ever witnessed.
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

the Apollo program was a huge positive influence on many people of that era. People aspired to become pilots, engineers, and scientists. We believed that the United States could do anything of a scientific and technological nature, and it was true. That was the most difficult project ever done, and the United States was the country that did it.

I'm an Apollo 11 buff myself. I still remember seeing it on our b&w tv...

I was pretty young, but remember walking to the store a couple blocks away with my dad and getting submarine sandwiches for the family to eat while we watched the first step on the moon. The images were grainy and sucked, but they were perfect at the time. Something I'll never forget.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I share your feelings. Yesterday, I stood under the Saturn V rocket at Kennedy Space Ctr. listening to seven of the Appollo astronauts describe flying on top of one of these. This rocket is one of three Saturn Vs that were built for the Apollo Program, but never used. The last 3 missions of Apollo were cancelled, due to politicians losing interest in the program and the due to the rising costs of the Vietnam War.

Now, after having built the equipment and flown the missions 40 years ago, we are planning a new lunar program. It will take about 10 years of work and expense to re-accomplish these same missions, just because we squandered what we had once achieved.

Kevin K.

NASA's LRO just sent back images of the Apollo landing sites. Seems to be very appropriate that they released these during the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11!

I wasn't alive back then. But Dammit it would have been amazing to watch it live!

oh Yeah... Link http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/apollosites.html

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"

http://eaglelander3d.com/

I'm an Apollo 11 buff myself. I still remember seeing it on our b&w tv. The site above is a free download of a lunar lander that's very realistic. 25 bucks for the full version. Putting that tin can down on the moon with only a few seconds of fuel left was the gutsiest thing I've ever witnessed.

Very cool game; however, the Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator has an add-on (see Sourceforge NASSP) that is even more realistic than Eagle Lander 3D, and best of all, it's free.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I was at my Aunt and Uncles house (no electricity) about 20 miles from Takysie Lake, BC, we drove to "town" to see it on a black and white TV...amazing

Also had our viewing at a friend's house. I was very young, but I think my parents didn't have a tv at the time. What early childhood memories.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hi Lori,

What early childhood memories.

You sure do know how to make a man feel old. :S

OK, I am old. :P

I was out at the dz when they landed. I can still remember when Armstrong said "The Eagle has landed. Tranquility Base here." It was one of those moments where you just say to yourself "They did it."

Then over to my mother-in-law's house that evening to watch him step onto the moon.

What a moment!!!! Armstrong is still the one person on earth whose hand I would like to shake.

JerryBaumchen

PS) This week's TIME magazine has an entire cover feature on the Apollo program and the astronauts.

I built parts for the sesimograph on the moon now. We made 4 sets one remained like a suit case . it was for training walking up and down the lander steps. The second deployed the solar panels training. The third ended up at Neils museum on I-75 south of Lima in Wapwkeneta. The second time I was there 1986. It was strange to see somsthing you made in a museum. It also made it on a USPS stamp.