shah269

Well it was good fun but the sky gods have asked me to go

The time away is perfect to get a copy of Brian Germain's The parachute and its pilot. Really read and understand the material and you will probably understand what happened to cause your injury.

If you have questions, ask in the CP forum or your instructors. You will come back with a wealth of understanding that someone with your numbers does not have and a better canopy pilot.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Fuck, sorry to hear that. You'll heal. Jump again! Even if you don't, there's no rule against continuing to post.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

People in this thread will say the sky will always be there. Don't believe them.

That's why I say...

"The sky will always be there, if ever it's not, we've got WAY bigger problems than skydiving..."

Heal fast and heal full Shah.

Come back when you're ready and try it, but only continue if it's still fun. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Dude - take some time for YOU! You won't be of any use to anyone if you don't! Heal fast and best of luck to you! :)

Some people around here would say he's not of any use to anyone anyways. :D:D

I don't know why I'm feeling mean today, (anyways, he knows I've backed him up before)
:P

Will I every fly again? If I can drive in 4 weeks and walk in 6 then hell yeah! If it's one of those 4 month things....i'll have to think about it.

Mine is one of those "four month things" and I'm not thinking about it at all. Can't wait to hit the air, and bawl at the site of pretty puffies and my friends flocking. Lotsa metal, lotsa broken bones, lotsa pain...can't wait to fly.:P

My best advice to survive the next 8 weeks or so is this ........

1) Try to stay on top of/ ahead of the pain. Pain management is an important part of the healing process- energy your body spends fighting pain could be used healing bones, etc. Don't overdue it, but recognize that trying to "tough it out" is counterproductive.

2) Waterproof cast cover, shower stool and a hand held shower head are essential items, IMO! There's just something about taking a proper shower that makes you feel more human. Being able to do stuff like washing your hair by yourself also helps you feel more independent.

3) Get some fiber in your diet if you are taking any type of codeine.

4) elevate, elevate, elevate. If you are at a restaurant, grab an extra chair so you can keep your leg elevated. The swelling is brutal enough, no reason to make it any worse than it has to be.

5) your first few days weightbearing will probably be worse than what you are feeling now- stash a few pain pills away for 6 weeks from now. You will need them.

6) don't blame a fluke down draft or "skygods" for your accident. Ask someone who watched your landing (an instructor) for an honest opinion of what happened- flared too high, flared too late, didn't flare all the way, didn't flare evenly? If you want to return to the sport and don't want to get hurt again, being honest with yourself is a good place to start. If not, disregard this and you'll have some great stories to tell all your whuffo friends.

We all know I can't stand you but I hate to see *anyone* get injured.

So.... sincerely, I hope you heal well, heal fast and get back to jumping when/if you're ever mentally prepared again.

BTW - The hop n pop statement makes absolutely no sense. Take a canopy control course if your woman allows you to come back and read Brian Germain's books while you're down. :)

Always be kinder than you feel.

This is a no bullshit post!!! I was on the stuff after some dental surgery and I got so backed up it fooking hurt. So what does my clever self do? Took twice the regular dose of exlax. 2 hrs went by and nothing so I took twice the dose again. At about hour 6 into this regimen the FIRST dose hit. Suffice it to say if I so much as thought I had to fart I was running for the crapper.

Point is if you keep up with the fiber this should't be any problem. Heal up quick.
Muff #5048

This is a no bullshit post!!! I was on the stuff after some dental surgery and I got so backed up it fooking hurt. So what does my clever self do? Took twice the regular dose of exlax. 2 hrs went by and nothing so I took twice the dose again. At about hour 6 into this regimen the FIRST dose hit. Suffice it to say if I so much as thought I had to fart I was running for the crapper.

Point is if you keep up with the fiber this should't be any problem. Heal up quick.

Yeah- exlax is NOT a good idea when you are on crutches and RUNNING to the bathroom isn't an option!

I took 2 xlax 8 hours ago, thus far nothing.
But then again I haven't each much since sunday.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Dont fuck around with that stuff. Just take the reccomended doses at their time intervals and it will start working. If you take too much you're going to regret it.
Muff #5048

Dont fuck around with that stuff. Just take the reccomended doses at their time intervals and it will start working. If you take too much you're going to regret it.

As they say ...... Shit happens:o

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

eh...6 months and you'll be back at it! I jumped 6 months to the day..with same issues. No worries. Ya may run kinda funny now, but..someday, you'll have the rod pulled out and you'll be as good as new!
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

speaking from experience, in this sport its not a matter of if your gona get hurt, but when...i have had three surgeries from injuries sustained in the sport, will i ever stop? prolly not unless i get hurt so bad that i am physically unable to jump.

Define "hurt"? Do you mean broken bones or something requiring surgery to fix?

:D:D:D

I was wondering that too John!

I've been 'hurt' as far as cuts and bruises from shitty exits...
(last one was the Kitty Hawk demo---split lip)B|

But never broke anything, or been unable to jump because of a skydiving related injury!
~then again 'eventually' is a long time, who knows what's ahead?! :ph34r:

& to the O.P.~

Told ya it was harder than it looks! :)

Heal quick, see ya in the funny papers! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Very sorry to hear that you got hurt. Focus on what you have to do at the moment and don't make any decisions about your future as a jumper.

By all means, find out what happened so you can learn from your accident. Most likely "skygods" had nothing to do with it. What did your instructors say about your landing? Other witnesses? No PLF?

Best wishes and heal fast!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Sorry to hear you got hurt!
There is a old saying Pain is weakness leaving your body! Ditch the meds they are just poison anyways, let the pain flow and enjoy it! :)

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

speaking from experience, in this sport its not a matter of if your gona get hurt, but when...i have had three surgeries from injuries sustained in the sport, will i ever stop? prolly not unless i get hurt so bad that i am physically unable to jump.

Define "hurt"? Do you mean broken bones or something requiring surgery to fix?

I was wondering that too John!

I've been 'hurt' as far as cuts and bruises from shitty exits...
(last one was the Kitty Hawk demo---split lip)B|

But never broke anything, or been unable to jump because of a skydiving related injury!
~then again 'eventually' is a long time, who knows what's ahead?! :ph34r:

Yes, lots of people get minor "hurts", but that's true in just about any sport. Golf, tennis, bike riding, you name it. So I don't think that should count.

Therefore, I would define "hurt" in this sense as broken bones, or injuries requiring surgery.

And there's no fate that dictates that every skydiver will get hurt that badly at some point. Lots of people jump for decades without receiving any such major injuries.

So I disagree with the original statement.

Thank you so mcuh every one!
The wife helped me take a shower this evening which was great! Not only did I get clean but the view was nice!
As for what happend, well as a total n00b I most likely jumped into winds that were too strong for my abilities and totally got freaked out and did not flare not PLF.
My instructor Sim has been great! He calls me more than my mother making sure I haven't died or anything! And I think I will be jumping again if he decides to stay at our DZ. Not only is he an amazing instructor but a hell of a guy.
I've yet to get a total debrief yet but as soon as I can drive I'll head up and have a chat.
If I had to guess, I would say I jumped in winds that were just way too much for my ability and totally half assed the flare and forgot about the PFL.
So as McSwervy indicated I will need to take a canopy control course with hopes of being as comfertable under the silk as I was in the air.
I just hope I recover quickly and with out too many issues.
and in a way......I think this horrible accident may have saved my marrage. You know who really loves you when they don't scream at you for being a moron and getting hurt.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

A few things. Rod or Plate? I could be wrong but I thought rods were only for bones that got real fucked up in which case they had to be hollowed out to put a rod in them.

Like someone else said to each their own. What is right for one person may not be right for others. To give you some perspective though I know 3 people that have broken their ankle in the last year including myself. Mine being the worst requiring a plate and 8 screws in the fib and 2 screws in the tib (taking about 14 weeks to heal btw in case you were curious). However each person worked as hard as they could to get back as soon as possible. I was working out 5 days a week to get my calf back to where it needed to be once the bone was fully healed. Point being, if you want it bad enough you'll make it happen as soon as possible.

Oh yeah, and Oxy is awesome. Are you sure they don't have you on hydro? Its also a codone but it sucks balls.

Advice: START PHYSICAL THERAPY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Do everything the doctors and PT's say but push yourself (just not too far) as much as you can to get better. In the end it's worth it. I also thought like you. I was super nervous for my first jump back but I managed to not get broken.

Heal well my friend.

I could be wrong but I thought rods were only for bones that got real fucked up in which case they had to be hollowed out to put a rod in them.

I have two 9inch rods holding my lower back together...I sure HOPE they didn't hollow out my SPINE! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~