Nataly

USPA Skydive Music Video challenge..

Oh. My. God.

Has anyone else received an email from USPA telling them about the Skydive Music Video challenge?

Am I the only one who thinks the song is *totally* crap??

http://www.uspa.org/Parachutist/SkydivingMusicVideoChallenge/tabid/492/Default.aspx

Can't believe this guy hopes it's gonna become "the official skydiving anthem worldwide"!! HA!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I just went and read the rules for this contest..

* explicitly profane or obscene material;
* endorsement (or condoning) of illegal drug use, alcohol abuse or other illegal activity;
* nudity, profanity, extreme or gratuitous violence;
* any express or implied commercial endorsement; any derogatory characterization of any person or group based on age, race, color, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, marital status, mental or physical disability, citizenship, creed, national origin, physical appearance, political affiliation, union membership, or other ethical or unlawful factors;
* any unauthorized use of copyrighted or proprietary material; or
* depictions of any conduct, language or other context deemed inappropriate by the Sponsors or any of the judges selected by the Sponsors.
* videos with footage of clear BSR (Basic Safety Rules) violations.
* footage of fatalities will also not be accepted into the challenge.

Sounds anything that actually represents this sport would be disqualified.:P:D

I just went and read the rules for this contest..

* explicitly profane or obscene material;
* endorsement (or condoning) of illegal drug use, alcohol abuse or other illegal activity;
* nudity, profanity, extreme or gratuitous violence;
* any express or implied commercial endorsement; any derogatory characterization of any person or group based on age, race, color, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, marital status, mental or physical disability, citizenship, creed, national origin, physical appearance, political affiliation, union membership, or other ethical or unlawful factors;
* any unauthorized use of copyrighted or proprietary material; or
* depictions of any conduct, language or other context deemed inappropriate by the Sponsors or any of the judges selected by the Sponsors.
* videos with footage of clear BSR (Basic Safety Rules) violations.
* footage of fatalities will also not be accepted into the challenge.

Sounds anything that actually represents this sport would be disqualified.:P:D

Ah ha ha!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Well, basically, I think the song is totally wrong for a skydiving video - so technically, to make it work *would* be quite a challenge!!! :D:D

Dunno.. If they had picked a good song, it would be an interesting proposition, but I just can't imagine listening to that track more than once without going completely mad! :S

Edit - obviously, there is NO WAY that I could produce anything better.. Which is why I don't waste my time making my own music (being a musician myself as well)!! :P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Yep.. That makes it impossible for most at my DZ to make a Video.:P:D:D

Oh. My. God.

Has anyone else received an email from USPA telling them about the Skydive Music Video challenge?

http://www.uspa.org/Parachutist/SkydivingMusicVideoChallenge/tabid/492/Default.aspx

Can't believe this guy hopes it's gonna become "the official skydiving anthem worldwide"!! HA!

OMG is right ?!??!

WTF!?

I couldn't even listen to the whole song.
I had to turn it off.

It's nice to know our dues monies are going for something useful in the sport??????????

I am starting a new organization:
United
Skydivers and
Parachutists
Association

See details here.

Oh I forgot to mention that you must be on a special 'good guys' list.
I did not get an email from them - and I know for sure they know my email addy.
And... there is nothing on the home page of the web site about it
What's that about???

But they did post who got D-30000.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I think it's pretty obvious what's going on. The guy is looking for some free publicity and the USPA is looking for a free recruitment video for newbies (mostly the youth market). Certainly the video will be used to promote the sport on the USPA web site, YouTube and elsewhere.

With that in mind I think you could make a fairly literal story about a guy going in for his AFF jumps, toss in a few tandem shots too. Show the possible excitement and thrills yet to come with freefly and swooping, but keep the emphasis on the newbies. Show lots of people's faces having a good time on the ground and in the plane and obviously the most beautiful people you can find enjoying themselves in air.

Make the video a "commercial" for newbies and you'll probably win.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

One other thing,the song is for free so you can use it however you want to.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3582293

OMG! Someone creates something and lets you use it for free, lets all bitch about it :P

I'm not bitching about it, or about the fact that it's pretty clearly an effort to promote himself. I'm not objecting to a free song, nor am I objecting to USPA's obvious attempt to shed (positive) light on the sport.. I'm just objecting to how bad the song is!!

Anyway, maybe I'm wrong.. Maybe it *will* become the world-wide anthem for all us skydivers out there :ph34r::ph34r::P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Oh. My. God.

Does the USPA supply earplugs with that song???
Sure am glad that my delete key works!!:|B|
Arizona only has two seasons, Hot and HOTTER!

HAHAHAHAHAHA thats funny as hell!!!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D...what a terrible song!!!:S...

Oh shit they're serious?:o

Briles

Why not?
My direction in life is up...then down again REALLY REALLY FAST!!!
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
D.S. #55

One other thing,the song is for free so you can use it however you want to.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3582293

OMG! Someone creates something and lets you use it for free, lets all bitch about it :P

Dude - I did not say that above quote nor did I complain about free songs.
I said I did not like the song and that USPA has better things to do than promote some stupid music video contest.
BTW, I did force myself to listen to the whole thing while I was writing the last post.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

There was a post that led to this song a week or two ago ... maybe in "general" forum?? ... I didn't like it then, and still don't. Of course, I'm an old fart ... different tastes. The way I see it, if USPA wants to run a contest like this, it should also be open to use of other original music, and not confine people to something they may dislike!!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

There was a post that led to this song a week or two ago ... maybe in "general" forum?? ... I didn't like it then, and still don't. Of course, I'm an old fart ... different tastes. The way I see it, if USPA wants to run a contest like this, it should also be open to use of other original music, and not confine people to something they may dislike!!

So, Who wants to send a link of this thread to the USPA?
They might learn something!:PB|
Arizona only has two seasons, Hot and HOTTER!

So, Who wants to send a link of this thread to the USPA?
They might learn something!:PB|

Yeah.. But to be honest, I think Quade had it spot on.. We're not really the target audience for the "winning" video..

Still don't like the song!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

He did a way better job than I could have.. so good on him in my book. I like the hook on the song... I have used it on some tandem videos when the person seemed to fit that kind of music.

So he has tried to find a niche, what is wrong with that?

I think the guy's taking some flak because of this quote, which itself is probably taken out of context. We don't need an official worldwide skydiving anthem, but I'm guessing he wasn't completely serious.

As for the song, it's not really to my taste but it's well produced and he's obviously put a lot of effort in. And I don't blame him at all for trying to get maximum exposure - it's a songwriter's dream to have their work reach a huge audience. He comes across as a nice guy, and credited people on here for the input they gave him.

I say good luck to him.

The producer of the song will probably read this so here it is:

I hate songs that have that electronic vocal reverse echo stutter effect. It's totally gay and retarded.

Hire a vocalist that actually sings. Songs that sound like a flunky "trying to read" are not songs.

Make a jump or 20 if you really want to put your heart soul into it.

Thanks for trying. Better than just talking about it.

Now go fly.