NealFitz

any Metallica friends here?

Yea bro i love them...
was gona go to there concert in NC but im saving the $$$$$ for the dz.

Amazing band though.

Briles
Why not?
My direction in life is up...then down again REALLY REALLY FAST!!!
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
D.S. #55

Metallica will always have a place in my heart but they are just not relevant in music anymore. Death Magnetic is a great CD but these guys have been over the hill for a very long time.

I saw them in '94, the last tour they played in standard E tuning. It was all downhill from that point on.

I've watched recent U-tube videos of them. The lasers are tacky. The black beach balls that come down during Seek & Destroy are so bad[:/]

These guys are just old and boring now.

If you want to watch a good Met vid, here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yHJBDeshPA&feature=related

Metallica will always have a place in my heart but they are just not relevant in music anymore. Death Magnetic is a great CD but these guys have been over the hill for a very long time.

I saw them in '94, the last tour they played in standard E tuning. It was all downhill from that point on.

I've watched recent U-tube videos of them. The lasers are tacky. The black beach balls that come down during Seek & Destroy are so bad[:/]

I never agree with you. Sounds like this is a good place to start. "Death Magnetic" is likely the death knell.

+1 If you want some good progressive metal that will never bore you, listen to some Opeth or Dream Theater.

The resent music has lost it but Metallica has been putting out Great (and occasionally, Not so great Music) for longer than many of the posters on here have been alive. Kill em all, Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets are some of the best albums ever in my opinion.

A couple years ago, Several Regulars posters here and myself ran into 3 of the guys from Metallica (Kirk, Lars and Trujillo) at a Strip Club in San Francisco. Somehow we ended up talking Hammett and one of the guys at our table told him "Love your Music. I have everything you ever recorded. I Downloaded it all of Napster". Kirk just laughed it off.

The may not be what they once were but they did put out some GREAT music over the years.

Alot of todays rock bands have experimented with detuning their guitars,(lowering the notes of the strings when plucked without pushing any frets). By detuning just the largest string(E string) down, it makes playing power chords, (common in rock) easier to play. By detuning all the strings you can lower the overall sound. The problem is that you can lose alot of tone and sustain. Used properly, it is another tool in the musical shed. By following the trend of many of todays rock bands, you run the risk of sounding just like every one else. Some guitarists look at detuning as cheating. Clear as mud, right?:P

Edited to add: You asked what Standard E tuning is. The notes that ring out on a guitar tuned to Standard E are as follows, from largest string to smallest: E, A, D, G, B, E. This is considered the standard tuning for a guitar. By tightening or loosening each individual string, you can change the note that the string produces when struck.

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Not the fan i used to be! but i still love Metallica! seen them 4 times here in Norway!

But sadly it seems they are growing old and away from what they were 20 years ago. I have all their new albums too, but i rarely listen to anything pre load and re-load!

Nonetheless. Greatest Metal band ever!B|

What is standard E tuning ? and why is that bad ? not a musician here....

Basically standard E is the traditional way to tune a guitar. 90's grunge music changed all that. Bands began tuning their guitars down to D or even lower. This gave grunge it's muddy dark sound.

Down tuning for a heavier sound in itself isn't bad at all.

The problem with Metallica was that after their '94 Live Binge & Purge tour, they began performing their entire back catalog (Kill Em' all through the Black album) in E flat. The songs were originally recorded in standard tuning. This caused a very noticeable change in their live performance. The songs don't sound right anymore. They sound sloppy and dark instead of tight.

The reason for this is because James Hetfeilds voice is shot to hell and he can no longer sing the songs the way he used to. He has to sing in a lower key, so the guitars & bass have to be tuned down also to match.

Many find this very annoying, especially since their latest album was recorded in standard E tuning!

The new songs sound bad live.

ya gotta remember james hetfield blew his voice singing a version of so what in the early nineties and thus all the songs have had to be tuned down in order to accomodate a different voice. im an absolute mega fan of them- st anger was shite to be honest but their new album is simialr to the black one and heard half the album a couple of nightd ago and it was awesome. i could never hate them regardless of napster etc and cant wait for them to play next year, and yes Jerry when I said Mtallica freinds i meant fans- we are all friends of metallica if you like them. metallica are the fans- they reiterate thsi during whiplash- "we never stop we never quit cuz YOU are Metallica!!" peace out brothers \m/
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again