skymama

Open Caskets

Lost my dad two months ago, my mom, Paul and I were with him when he died and were able to sit with him for quite some time in the hospital after he'd passed. We decided to have a very private viewing the next day at the funeral home before he was cremated, this allowed my sister and two close friends to say good bye and bring reality to their loss. Other then being washed nothing else was done, for my mom and I it was important to see him calm and peaceful the exact opposite of the hospital.

Before this I would have said, nope no need.

At 8:30 p.m. tonight a friend lost her life. Florence lived three houses from me. She had been diagnosed with cancer four years ago and although she lived in pain from it, I never heard her once complain. Her husband, Kenny, waited to call the funeral home so her friends could come by and say "good-bye" to her and he asked for us all to help him celebrate her life, not to morn her passing. There will be a closed casket funeral at our little country church in a few days. I think this was pretty hard on Kenny but at the same time, it (in my mind and heart) showed courage and strength on his part to allow us to have an opportunity to say good-bye to a wonderful lady without the pressure of being in a public forum; i.e. funeral home.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."