RkyMtnHigh

The "thEn/thAn" confusion

Kelel01 (Ms Grammar) can certainly help dz.commers with this one....but it's bugging me when I see posts with:
"it's better thEn this/that'" vs
"it's better thAn this/that"
ThEn is to demonstrate a space in time; ThAn is to demonstrate a differentiation between two things.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Elaborate if you feel it is appropriate as well.

I can tolerate that one, but it's the "Your funny" "Your an idiot" epidemic that makes me want to put a gun to my head.
It's fucking YOU'RE !

You're funny
You're a moron.
Your brain is on drugs.

:DYOU'RE Right!:P however your dog is just a Poochie;)

:DClarification accepted...YOUR parent's dog is named "Poochie". There...satisfied J?:D

Okay, if we're being picky... [dot dot dot] ;)

the period goes inside the quote.

..."Poochie."

that's one of my 'pet' peeves... [dot dot dot] along with the lose/loose confusion. :D
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

wow, gues what i read was true. haha... I got an old book from the library; Dan Poynter's 'parachuting the skydiver's handbook. 5th edition. .. copyright '89..according to this book, 90% divers have high school diploma, 40% divers finished college, over 20% have attended graduate school. .. my conclusion... too many smart people in skydiving!! oh, and its fun reading this book and seeing how much has changed, and how much is still the same. .. God bless the public libraries and highly outdated books.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

How can people that jump out of planes for shits and giggles worry about spelling and grammar?

Because skydivers come in all flavors. ;)

I've heard it said that some people at the DZ went to M.I.T., others can't spell it.
ones? -- Monday.

This is very true. Just seems so odd that a petty thing would bug you so much. I'd say if anything, the little annoying things in life bother me less now I've started skydiving. I'd hate to think what you were like before! ;):D

I'd hate to think what you were like before! ;):D

My hobbies were gardening and cake decorating. I've never read a book where I didn't circle the errors. The bible is the only book that I've never found one.
ones? -- Monday.

I'm with RockyMtn on this.

I saw a picture of a guy who got a tattoo of "Your Mine" along with a picture of the Grim Reaper pointing towards you. It wasn't a small tattoo either- it covered his ENTIRE back.

What about the "there" or "their" confusion? People hardly ever seem to get that one right!
http://3ringnecklace.com/

So many of these things annoy me... But then I suppose that's because English isn't my native tongue, and I really want to "get it right." (Or maybe I'm just anal-retentive and feel an unnaturally strong urge to see the world through the eyes of a perfectionist...)

In principle, I don't mind the basic errors, so long as the person manages to communicate their message across. Where I get really annoyed is when the jumble of words don't follow any kind of logical thought process.. When I just don't fucking *understand* what the person means.

My *biggest* pet peeve is when someone is so keen to look "intelligent" that he or she uses a bunch of fancy words (often incorrectly) to express the most basic thoughts. For fuck's sake.. Big words do not mean you're clever!!

Fiew!! *That* was good to get off my chest!!! :D:D:D

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

The one that drives me up the wall is: "Be careful you don't loose your keys"

ARGH

"Where did you lose them?"

Aggggghhh If I knew that, they wouldn;t be lost not would they?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome