RkyMtnHigh

The "thEn/thAn" confusion

Bugs me that so many STILL dont get this. grrr.

[Laugh]

Your first post on here in some time and it is about than and then. I love it....[Laugh]
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I saw a picture of a guy who got a tattoo of "Your Mine" along with a picture of the Grim Reaper pointing towards you. It wasn't a small tattoo either- it covered his ENTIRE back.

Exactly why I hand the baker a piece of paper with what I want written on the cake. :S

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I saw a picture of a guy who got a tattoo of "Your Mine" along with a picture of the Grim Reaper pointing towards you. It wasn't a small tattoo either- it covered his ENTIRE back.

Exactly why I hand the baker a piece of paper with what I want written on the cake. :S

That doesn't even guarantee it will be correct. Just bought a full sheet cake last week. They gave it to me with my very large and very specific instructions (only 4 words long) but still managed to spell two words incorrectly. Worked out in the end though, because I got the cake for half price and we all got a laugh out of it at the party.
Killing threads since 2004.

The one that drives me up the wall is: "Be careful you don't loose your keys"

ARGH

"Where did you lose them?"

Aggggghhh If I knew that, they wouldn;t be lost not would they?

well that too, but I was referring to people who cant tell the difference between "loose" and "lose"

Kelel01 (Ms Grammar) can certainly help dz.commers with this one....but it's bugging me when I see posts with:
"it's better thEn this/that'" vs
"it's better thAn this/that"
ThEn is to demonstrate a space in time; ThAn is to demonstrate a differentiation between two things.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Elaborate if you feel it is appropriate as well.

Some of these bug me too. I made a page to point people to when they make errors, but so many people make so many errors that if I did that, I would soon be known as the grammar Nazi or something.

Now see, you've made me invoke Godwin's Law. Thread's over!

http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/misused.htm

Kelel01 (Ms Grammar) can certainly help dz.commers with this one....but it's bugging me when I see posts with:
ThEn is to demonstrate a space in time; ThAn is to demonstrate a differentiation between two things.

Some of these bug me too. I made a page to point people to when they make errors, but so many people make so many errors that if I did that, I would soon be known as the grammar Nazi or something.

Now see, you've made me invoke Godwin's Law. Thread's over!

http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/misused.htm

Peak, I mean Peek...:D That is a good compilation of words that are often misused.

[pat on the head] They're there, now Sweetie. Calm down.
And be SURE to avoid Page 16 of the August issue of Parachutist.
Yep.
No offence just to the writers. I know they have proofreaders over there because I sent them an article once, and they rewrote it so that it was LESS grammatically correct.
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

One of my peeves is the ubiquitous use of pronouns that do not reference the previous noun.

My daughter once brought a note home from her teacher. It recommended sending a snack to school with my daughter due to a late lunch period. It said that drinks could be part of the snack. It then said there was a water fountain in the room if we chose not to send one. I wrote back asking why I would send a water fountain to school. The teacher never spoke to me again. In all fairness, that comment was in red and was only one of many grammatical corrections I made to the document before returning it to the teacher.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Peak, I mean Peek...:D That is a good compilation of words that are often misused.

well, there a 3 misuses of Cypres/ess/us (but there are only 2 versions of the Airtec device). On the contrary, AAD's device has 3 versions (or they will soon have V3), and the only misspelling I have spotted yet is the ViRgil :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

To all the grammar/spelling nazis on here, I got one thing to say – I’d love to see how well you write in your 2nd or 3rd language :|.

“Than” versus “then” is one of the things that I get confused about often … I’ve learned English by watching TV and listening to music, so I never had the benefit of sitting in a classroom and learn the proper use of all the grammar rules. Spell-check is sometimes my friend and many times my enemy … My boss trusts me to write and send out company wide memos, so I think I’m alright :)
O

My daughter once brought a note home from her teacher. . . . I wrote back asking why I would send a water fountain to school. The teacher never spoke to me again. In all fairness, that comment was in red and was only one of many grammatical corrections I made to the document before returning it to the teacher.

I'm going to be an English teacher pretty soon and am appalled at how many teachers of all subjects can't get a sentence out properly.

I have had to argue with instructors about my grammar and track down grammar books to bring in to said instructors to prove that they were wrong. Presently, I have an instructor who claims that she takes points off for grammatical errors. I've saved up every single assignment, memo, PowerPoint presentation, etc. she's given us. Every single one of those has multiple errors. I can't wait until I type "own" instead of "won" and don't have time to catch it. I'm going to pull out a huge stack of red-blotched papers and hand them to her.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

Just seems so odd that a petty thing would bug you so much.

But it's not petty. It's the way we communicate with the rest of the world; we should do so clearly.

Wouldn't you correct someone who constantly figured that 3+8=15? People don't seem to have a problem correcting others or being corrected about things like that, but when it comes to our native language (I make exceptions for E.S.L. people) people get all uppity about it.

Nobody's perfect, I'm just saying that your language is worth knowing.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

To all the grammar/spelling nazis on here, I got one thing to say – I’d love to see how well you write in your 2nd or 3rd language :|.

I cut people some slack if English isn't their first language, but also find that most of them are doing better than a lot of people for whom English is the first/only language.[:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My daughter once brought a note home from her teacher. . . . I wrote back asking why I would send a water fountain to school. The teacher never spoke to me again. In all fairness, that comment was in red and was only one of many grammatical corrections I made to the document before returning it to the teacher.

I'm going to be an English teacher pretty soon and am appalled at how many teachers of all subjects can't get a sentence out properly.

I have had to argue with instructors about my grammar and track down grammar books to bring in to said instructors to prove that they were wrong. Presently, I have an instructor who claims that she takes points off for grammatical errors. I've saved up every single assignment, memo, PowerPoint presentation, etc. she's given us. Every single one of those has multiple errors. I can't wait until I type "own" instead of "won" and don't have time to catch it. I'm going to pull out a huge stack of red-blotched papers and hand them to her.

Human nature being what it is, I'd do so only after graduation if I were you.
Present it as 'A token to remember me by' perhaps..
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom