LisaH

If you're in CA, don't get caught using a cell phone while driving

I just paid $452 for this mistake. B|

Sorry to hear about the fine, but be happy it didn't cost someone's life.. I think it ought to be illegal everywhere - it's very dangerous.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Lots of people say that, but it doesn't take long to get distracted and ram into the back of another vehicle, or hit a pedestrian..

I know I'll probably get some flak for this, but I really think it's dangerous.. Driving requires all your attention. It might take more time to find a suitable place to pull over & make a call, but IMO that is much better than putting people at risk.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Lots of people say that, but it doesn't take long to get distracted and ram into the back of another vehicle, or hit a pedestrian..

I know I'll probably get some flak for this, but I really think it's dangerous.. Driving requires all your attention. It might take more time to find a suitable place to pull over & make a call, but IMO that is much better than putting people at risk.

Excpecially since you don't get any points if you hit them and weren't aiming.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Excpecially since you don't get any points if you hit them and weren't aiming.[:/]

*exactly*.. If that doesn't put you off, then I don't know what would!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Mostly because you drive on the wrong side of the road.

I see it ALL the time. If California really wanted to make up its budget deficit it could stick CHiPies on the freeway and just pull people over at will. The thing would be paid off in a day. Same thing could be said for speeding, where the CHiPies will ignore and pass you while you're doing 80 to catch the guys that are really going fast.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Sorry to hear about the fine, but be happy it didn't cost someone's life.. I think it ought to be illegal everywhere - it's very dangerous.

Shouldn't the punishment be for killing someone? You could use the same thought process to outlaw anything...such as skydiving. You could die because its dangerous so it should be illegal, or you could damage someones property when you die or you could have a premature deployment and it destroy the tail of the aircraft and it will crash killing everyone on board and some people in a building the airplane crashed into so it should be illegal.
Its only supposed to be against the law if you infringe on someone elses rights, not if it possibly could at some point.

Shouldn't the punishment be for killing someone? You could use the same thought process to outlaw anything...such as skydiving. You could die because its dangerous so it should be illegal, or you could damage someones property when you die or you could have a premature deployment and it destroy the tail of the aircraft and it will crash killing everyone on board and some people in a building the airplane crashed into so it should be illegal.
Its only supposed to be against the law if you infringe on someone elses rights, not if it possibly could at some point.

So . . . drunk driving is fine as long as you haven't killed anybody . . . yet?

I don't think so.

Your theory makes perfect sense for people that are alone in their homes doing whatever and can't really affect other people at large on a moments notice. However, driving a car in California? That's insane to begin with. Adding in distractions is not a good idea.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I see it ALL the time. If California really wanted to make up its budget deficit it could stick CHiPies on the freeway and just pull people over at will. The thing would be paid off in a day. Same thing could be said for speeding, where the CHiPies will ignore and pass you while you're doing 80 to catch the guys that are really going fast.

I heard that they can't really pull you over for just using a cell phone, that there has to be another reason. Whatever. I don't have the time, energy or resources to try and fight it. OC needs money apparently. :P:D
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Mostly because you drive on the wrong side of the road.

I don't drive on the wrong side. I'm a Canadian living in the UK - I drive on whichever side is the correct side :P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Holy shit 452.00- the guy should have given you a warning[:/]

I did a no-no, was in the wrong and have paid for it.

Other lesson, don't wait till it goes to warrant. :P

Oh, so $452 wasn't the original amount? What was the original fine?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

$132

I forgot about it when I broke my foot and was concentrating on medical bills.

:$

Edited to add: Yes; I fucked up. Big time.

That seems like a more reasonable fine. I thought that's about what I'd heard from other friends who've gotten busted for the same offense. Bummer on the penalties - they really nail you on those! [:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Ouch! :| Can you do traffic school? ;) I just finished traffic school for a speeding ticket back in March. Attached is a page from the traffic school course.:)
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I could have done traffic school and community service had I not let it get to this point. It was beyond repair. DMV was going to suspend my license on the 17th. I had to pay it.

Ooops, guess I should have posted all of this at the beginning of the thread. :D

Remi - shuddup! :P

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo