Ketia0

tomtom under canopy?

Before i get flamed, i tried the search for GPS under canopy! ;)

Has anyone ever used a car tomtom under canopy? would this even work??

i was just wondering if by accident i pull at 14,000 :S and conviently have my GPS with me:)

i could anvigate to the nearest.... baseball feild or walmart parking lot.. something cool. ;);)
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Before i get flamed, i tried the search for GPS under canopy! ;)

Has anyone ever used a car tomtom under canopy? would this even work??

i was just wondering if by accident i pull at 14,000 :S and conviently have my GPS with me:)

i could anvigate to the nearest.... baseball feild or walmart parking lot.. something cool. ;);)

Accidentally?

Hell get a group of people together and have some fun with it!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You should still be able to find the dropzone without your GPS, even with pulling high. That just gives you more time to figure it out!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

wanna come with turtle?? :D:D

The GPS helps in NOT finding a DZ ;)

walmart parking lot.. here we come! :ph34r::ph34r:

I'll go where the wind takes me - i ain't skeered - but i would never "Intentionally land off":)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

NEVER!!! i would never intentionally land off...

i just bring my TOMTOM with me jsut incase for good safety practice!!! :)

so... back to OP... will a tomtom work under canopy? ;);)

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

NEVER!!! i would never intentionally land off...

i just bring my TOMTOM with me jsut incase for good safety practice!!! :)

so... back to OP... will a tomtom work under canopy? ;);)

Good - safety is #1

GPS does work under canopy.

If you have to land off - it is better to be near a tiki bar on the beach. Not that anyone has ever done that or anything.

at 11 jumps i wouldn't even bring M&M's with me...B|;)

no, not anytime soon!!! not until AT LEAST i have my B- License.. :)

or 100 jumps.. actually.. im really excited for that.. NAKED JUMP!!!!!!

how about a HOOTERS parking lot!?

At 11 jumps I had all the experience I wanted in landing on pavement:SB|:D

kida hard to leave a divot in Asphalt.:D

Yes, it would work. We (Bonehead) sell navigational boards to the military. They contain a compass and the end user puts in their own GPS.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

no nice beaches to land on around here... maybe i need to go somewhere else and jump! anyone have a nice dropzone i can come visit? i need freinds!!!!

im cool.. i promise... :)B|

Well I've seen drinking beer under canopy (not me I was just the jump pilot who let em out on a long cross country), cell ph calls under canopy, taking pics with handheld cameras........so....guess it would be ok.

Again though, you shouldn't ever really "need" a gps.....like Skymama said.B|

To answer the question...yes and no. The tomtom will work, but it is a bit bulky and will be hard to handle. Plus, it is not usually set up to handle elevations as great as what you will be working in. A marine GPS, however, will give you your elevation, location and even glide ratio. I use one when flying my hang glider as do most hang glider pilots. If you check around, you will find rigs to attach a GPS to your thigh for use by pilots and paraglider pilots. Should pretty much fit the bill.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Yeah that's kinda stupid to even think about it right now. Even if you don't plan to do it for awhile. B license or 100 jumps don't make a difference you can still screw it up. There is a reason you have to have a PRO rating to jump into places. I'm speaking out of experience.

... although if you don't mind the increased potential to get $60K worth of medical bills go for it. :ph34r:

Yeah that's kinda stupid to even think about it right now. Even if you don't plan to do it for awhile. B license or 100 jumps don't make a difference you can still screw it up. There is a reason you have to have a PRO rating to jump into places. I'm speaking out of experience.

... although if you don't mind the increased potential to get $60K worth of medical bills go for it. :ph34r:

LOL why the fuck do you have that sig?

Hi KTO,
At first I thought you were going to break out an Indian "tom-tom drum" (aka, pre-historic boom-box) and start banging on it!! GPS's wow, what ever happened to the gas station road map?? Oh the wonders of modern technology!! Just incase yer batteries go dead, try looking outside the airplane on the way up and notice the terain from the DZ out and away N-S-E and W!! Get a good look and "Know Where You Are!!" One thing for sure, you are always directly above the center of the earth!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

The answer to your question is yes. GPS works under canopy. While I have not used a TomTom, I have used a Garmin Nuvi under canopy from 18k ft AGL. You have to mark the DZ/peas as a waypoint beforehand and then input it as your endpoint. It still tries to guide you as if you were in a car but you can see the checkered flag (endpoint) on the display and orient yourself on it.

Now it doesn't take into account if you got out upwind or if you will actually make it back to the endpoint/DZ as it assumes you are in a vehicle.

As Hottamally stated, we use Navboards on HAHOs with GPS receivers,some specifically made for this purpose, as high as 25k feet AGL.

Would I recommend you use a TomTom/Nuvi under canopy? The answer is no as is my answer to "accidently" deploying at 14k.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Tom Tom (and any car-oriented GPS) would be impractical because its directions are expressed in road terms, and you are not on one.

But in any case, I'd say the unlikely benefit of any GPS system under canopy would generally be outweighed by the distraction. You really shouldn't need one. I mean, whatever next - a gadget that tells you it's time to pull?

Oh. ;)

But in any case, I'd say the unlikely benefit of any GPS system under canopy would generally be outweighed by the distraction.

In a civilian skydiving setting where you aren't intentionally getting out miles away from the DZ, at night, I would agree. However for a military application it is a HUGE benefit to have this capability.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

But in any case, I'd say the unlikely benefit of any GPS system under canopy would generally be outweighed by the distraction.

In a civilian skydiving setting where you aren't intentionally getting out miles away from the DZ, at night, I would agree. However for a military application it is a HUGE benefit to have this capability.

Yep, I should have qualified that better - I meant in the context of the original post. And I'm guessing any system you've used isn't telling you to take the exit, then stay in the right hand lane! :)