R6F4orR1

WL Opinion: 190 or 210+ canopy?

Okay,
I am in Afghanistan right now and dz.com is about the only resource I can access for information/opinions. Before I left to come over here I was jumping a 240 Navigator student rig with a WL of about 1.0-1.04. I am 6'3" about 210 lb right now and still losing weight. By the time I get back to jumping at West Point I should be around 200-205, so I have an exit weight of around 230-240. If I remember correctly I have 34 jumps under my belt. I have also taken the PD beginner canopy course Ian Bobo taught. I plan to take another one since I am a pretty safety conscious person.

I have been browsing the classifieds for over a year now looking to buy a used rig. I was looking for something with a large harness that could hold a 230/240 main for a decent price. From what I have seen, finding a decent rig to fit a 230 is tough. I have seen a few 210's, but alot more 190's. Comparing the WL of the different canopies, if my exit weight is 230, a 190 would be 1.21 WL, a 210 would be 1.095 WL. If my exit weight is 240, a 190 would be 1.26 WL, a 210 would be 1.14 WL.

Obviously, the lower the WL the better off I will be. I teach motorcycle safety, it's the same idea. Just like I recommend people start on the smallest motorcycle they can, I'm not trying to hop on the equivalent of a 1000cc bike.

So, here is my question: would I be pushing too much to go from the 1.04 WL I was previously jumping to a 1.21 WL of a 190?

Oh yeah, yes, I have searched and read the different WL threads and I plan to talk to more experienced jumpers when I get back in October. Also, this is not something I am going to buy right now. I have to get current again since I haven't jumped in several months. I'm looking to buy my rig around New Year.

Thanks!

I have an exit weight of around 230-240. If I remember correctly I have 34 jumps under my belt.

would I be pushing too much to go from the 1.04 WL I was previously jumping to a 1.21 WL of a 190?

I'm a low timer myself but I can tell you that you should not increase your wing loading for quite a while. Check out this chart.

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO

I would recommend the 210. I am roughly the same weight as you and I started out with a 210 and loved it. I just downsized to a 190 about a month ago and the difference was surprisingly a lot more than I expected it to be going from the 210 at 1.1:1 to 190 1.25:1. I'm by no means an expert and am new myself, but I would recommend the 210 until you get more canopy time. Just my opinion, have fun.

R6F4orR1

R6! R1 if you don't mind your ass roasted during town riding. F4 if you can afford it. When you ride Agusta, who cares about roasted ass. ;)B|

PS. Undertail exhaust is a bitch! :)
As for the canopy, i don't know. I got Sabre 2 170 WL 1.2 at similar jump #. :S

facebook.com/trig78

I will tell you what I would do...

I would stop thinking about what size to buy for now and would get current on the 240. If everything goes well after 50+ jumps doing downsizing drills, I would start jumping the 210 and eventually buy a used one and stay there for hundreds of jumps. Then a 190 when I get bored of the 210, at about 400 jumps :P. So a container sized for 190-210 will last me many years.
I wouldnt downsize from a 240 to a 190.
Thats what I would do

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

R6F4orR1

R6! R1 if you don't mind your ass roasted during town riding. F4 if you can afford it. When you ride Agusta, who cares about roasted ass. ;)B|

PS. Undertail exhaust is a bitch! :)
As for the canopy, i don't know. I got Sabre 2 170 WL 1.2 at similar jump #. :S

Hahaha, most people never understand what that means. I started using this as a screenname in 1999, been using it ever since. Now I ride a 2008 Honda CBR 1000RR. Had a 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R for 4 years before I bought the 1000. And yes, I agree with you about the undertail exahaust, I can't stand them!

I would stop thinking about what size to buy for now and would get current on the 240. If everything goes well after 50+ jumps doing downsizing drills, I would start jumping the 210 and eventually buy a used one and stay there for hundreds of jumps. Then a 190 when I get bored of the 210, at about 400 jumps :P. So a container sized for 190-210 will last me many years.
Thats what I would do

Thanks for the info. I plan to get current as soon as I can (hoping I'll be back in the States by mid-September). Before I left I had been doing most of the drills on the 240, I just needed to work on the downwind landings.

One of the reasons I'm asking is because I'm having a hard time finding a container to fit my body and fit the canopy I want to fly. Being military I'm looking at buying new since the discounts are pretty good. Any suggestions about that?

One of the reasons I'm asking is because I'm having a hard time finding a container to fit my body and fit the canopy I want to fly. Being military I'm looking at buying new since the discounts are pretty good. Any suggestions about that?

The rule of thumb is to only buy what you can fit into and fly right now. You plan to lose weight, but that may or may not work. You plan to get current on a 240 and make 'X' number of jumps byu 'Y' date, but that might not happen. You plan to be right back where you left off before your deployment (military, not canopy) but that might not happen.

Here's what you do - get back, get current and see what's what. Make 10 jumps and see how you're doing. move forward accordingly.

Also, keep in mind that a harness resize can be done for $200 to $400 depending on the type of container, and any container can hold at least 3 sizes of canopy. You can easily save $1500 or $2000 buying a used container over a new one, even with a military discount.

Maybe you can find a used rig that can hold a 210 or 220. Resize the harness for your body type, and squeeze in a 220 for a while. Get up to speed on that, and sell it and use the cash for a 210. Repeat and end up with a 190 that's easy to pack in a rig that fits you like a glove.

I would stop thinking about what size to buy for now and would get current on the 240. If everything goes well after 50+ jumps doing downsizing drills, I would start jumping the 210 and eventually buy a used one and stay there for hundreds of jumps. Then a 190 when I get bored of the 210, at about 400 jumps . So a container sized for 190-210 will last me many years.
Thats what I would do

+1 big time.

From one low jumper to another... make sure you come home safe, get back into currency, and work back down from that 240.
...And I'm not gonna not get Randy Jackson's autograph...
Did we just become best friends?

D.S. #1000000

I have a fusion 210 that I will be looking to sell around the time you get home. I think its DOM is JUL 2008 ish and has approx 150 jumps on it. It is in great shape and ill cut you a deal. Send me a PM if interested. Also I got a wings container with a 40% military discount on base price. Might want to check them out as well. I will be here in the states (FT Rucker) until mid Oct.

Stay safe man.
Team Dirty Sanchez #455,
Muff Brother #4197,
SCR #14847, DPH -8,
Dude #5150