skybill

"Well" or "City" water??

"Whiskey is for drinkin' water is for fightin' over!! I think John Wayne said that!! Anyway, go turn on the fawcett, great!, hot and cold "running" water for most of us till???? This morning. Peggy made coffee then a while later I turned on the sink tap and a trickle to nothing!!! "ARGH!!" The pump sucked a bubble and was pumping dry!! Turned off the pump switch and went out to prime the pump, it had H20!! but still had the bubble!! Finally got my wife's cousin, our pump man< and he turned on the pump with the prime cap off and between spurts we got it working!! YEAH!! Makes ya' appreciate daze gone by when hand pumps in the yard were the rule, not the exception around here. What's at your "house?"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I'm on well water. Made me sick for a week when I first switched to well water from city. :( Good to the last drop now, though.

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I'm in Fernandina Beach Florida and the city water is worse than engine coolant. It's destroyed the elements in my dishwasher, hot water tank, and I've replaced 3 shower heads. I am now getting a softening system but I would say a lot has to do with what part of the country you live in. My dad lives in Ohio and his tap water is better than Dasani water.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Sounds yummy!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

I grew up on delicious well water.. Needless to say the stuff you get in London is not quite as nice.. :S

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Should be treated, tested, reliable supply versus untreated, individually pumped. Many communities city water IS well water. But it is treated to ensure potability, tested to ensure potability and distributed usually with back up utilities. In addition it's piped to the fire hydrant outside your house.

Also, city water NOW has to meet even lower arsenic standards than ever, necessitating spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on arsenic removal facitlities for a city of 45,000.

I'd rather have the convenience of a water utility than the hassle of pump maintenance and an unsure supply, both in quantitiy and quality.

The best scam in the world is bottled water that is simply well water from a bottling plant put somewhere there is lots of ground water. We have a few in MI. And a single company will have many plants. So what water is in the bottle depends on which plant it came from.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The water here in the city is so soft that they put out a newsletter every so often to aleviate the calls where people complain that the soap won't rinse out of their hair.:S

Good stuff really. And a brita makes it REALLY tasty!

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

on occasion this happens here, too. I have a small pump attachment for my hand/power drill that allows me to reverse-pump down the line. remove the prime cap, attach the drill pump with the ingest end in a bucket/bottle of water. Turn on drill for about 15 seconds pumping bottled water back down the line. Put prime cap back on, re-prime, and you're good to go. A neighbor swears that backwashing this way is better for the system anyway, but I don't accept his logic. Other than "popping" the air bubble at the intake, the only other accomplishment is moving anything that might be on the mesh at the intake. We have a lime plant after the stop/waste and a britta under the kitchen sink and a britta on the fridge. Better than most bottled water, IMO.

Hey, Bill
When I moved to DeLand in '83, the house I lived in had a well. The water tasted a LOT better than Jacksonville where I had grown up and had been living. The quality seemed to go down over the years though and no one seemed to notece much less exp;ain it. Then in '87 or '88 we had a real cold spell, (for Florida anyway) below freezing for most of the night. That morning, I'm taking a shower and I feel SAND in the bottom of the shower. I got a mouthful and found that the water was bringing the sand in. I thought I must have a pump problem but later I learned that the ferneries around Volusia County had sucked up all the water from the aquifer to spray the plants to protect them from freezing. The DeLand Aquifer has never been the same since. With more developement, there is less recharge area to let water to filter back into the aquifer. So now the city water, which comes from the same source but is treated, tastes better that the well water. In '95 or so I moved in and started sharring a house with Sue Lebchruker (sp, sorry Sue) and she told me that I should consider drinking only bottled water. I held up my beer and said, "Most of what I drink is bottled." :)

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

We're on Tacoma city water in our house. I believe it comes mountain fresh down from Mt. Rainier. The other week it was tasting pretty earthy, though, so I put a call into the water company. They came down and flushed the mains. Ahh, good water again.B|

I remember living in Utah, that the East side of the Salt Lake valley had great tasting water from the canyon streams coming down into the valley. The West side had that god awful Magna well water that tasted like %$#@. I felt sorry for those West siders.:S

Spring water all the way. My first house, we had a spring up on the hill that we tapped into and ran the line down to the house. Had to leave it running all winter to keep it from freezing. Had the BEST water EVER. Nothing has come close.

Easy Does It

I grew up on well water. After moving to a city, I found the water didn't agree with my system. Even thought I got used to it, I still buy bottled water for drinking and only use the city water for showers and cooking.
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

City water here. Although my town won a contest for best-tasting tap water in the state a few years back, I still use the filter in the refrigerator to give me clean water to drink.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban