ajmclean

ANOTHER BIG GUY GEAR QUESTION

Brothers and sisters,
I'm heading back to Virginia and most probably Skydive Suffolk so I'll be talking to Larry. Anyhow, I'm 6'1' and 235 lbs. I have about 80 jumps. What would be a good ZP main canopy for me given my size and low number of jumps? 7 cell, 9 cell? I will probably go used vice new as that seems to be the most popular opinion.
I've heard good and bad about Sabre2's but mostly good as a first canopy. What about Spectre's? Appreciate any and all advice.
Mack The Knife
"IT IS SAID THAT THE WARRIOR'S IS THE TWOFOLD WAY OF PEN AND SWORD, AND HE SHOULD HAVE A TASTE FOR BOTH WAYS." MIYAMOTO MUSASHI, A BOOK OF FIVE RINGS.

Just guesstimating by weight and jump numbers, I'm thinking you would probably be suited well by something in the 260+ range. In that range, there's the Triathalon, Sabre 2, Navigator, and Manata ZP to name a few.

You mentioned used, but it's also worth noting that Icarus and Precision Aerodynamics(and a few others) can also "upsize" a canopy to meet the needs of larger jumpers.

Personally, I'd encourage you to sit down with your S&TA or canopy coach and discuss your skill level and what direction you want to move in this sport, in regards to canopy flight. That will give you a good idea of what you are looking for in a canopy, which will make you selection process a little easier. Also, while it's harder for larger jumpers, you can occasionally find demo canopies in larger sizes. This will give you a chance to try before you buy.

Good luck,

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I'm a 100 jump wonder so talk to someone higher on the food chain before you go by me...

I am your size almost exactly. I jump a Spectre and love it. Great openings for the faster faller. I have jumped a Sabre2 and liked it as well. I still prefer my Spectre for now. I load a little heavy (1.26) but its still pretty docile. It can scare you if you push it also. I jumped a bunch of stuff before I bought my current rig. I bought a custom container to fit me and a used main / new reserve. Just my 0.02

edit cause I cant type
Oz

Give PD a call and get a demo - personally I think the Silhouette 260 or 240 is your best choice! But then again its your choice;)
You are a big guy so ensure you choose wisely!

Cheers
Egon

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

For whatever my two cents is worth, I'm 6'2" and right at 225. I was heavier when I was at your stage of the game, and from #24 till about 250 I was on a Sabre II 210 loaded right around 1.3. I found this canopy to be very comfortable and predictable, good for getting back from long spots and sporty enough to segway into more aggresive flying (with coaching).

Definately consult with your S&TA and more experenced canopy pilots, but I'd throw my vote up to demo a Sabre II 230.

The reason I'd give the Sabre II a try is that if it does suit your skill level and flying style at lighter wing loadings it is a great canopy to learn everyting from the very basics all the way to more aggresive flying.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

I've got a few jumps on a Spectre 230 at about the same exit weight as you, and it was a really great canopy overall! Great openings, very good flare, and still responsive enough to be a lot of fun, even at that size...

That said, the only way to really know which canopy is best for you is to talk to instructors that know you, and have seen you fly canopies, and let them help you develop a short list of candidates... then demo them all... but honestly, I don't see how you can go wrong with any of the suggestions made so far!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

1) Talking with Larry will be good. He's a fellow Anvil Brother.
2) What Chuck and Egons said.
3) My personal suggestion for a ZP main would be the Sabre or Safire in the 230 range and focus on Billvon's downsizing checklist while at higher altitudes under canopy. For a hybrid or F-111 would recommend 260 or larger.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

For a hybrid or F-111 would recommend 260 or larger.

I wondered if anybody was even going to suggest an F-111 canopy... F-111, it's like a dirty word these days!

I do understand that ZP is superior to F-111 (though technically F-111 was a low porosity fabric developed and sold by Harris Corp., and hasn't actually been manufactured for many years!), and why, but it would would still seem to be a viable choice for someone on a budget (F-111 canopies can be purchased for next to nothing!), or someone with a plan to downsize not wanting to committ big dollars to a canopy they know they won't be jumping very long...

That said, it's getting harder and harder to find F-111 canopies that aren't at the end of their life spans, as most canopy mfg's aren't making them anymore, and their life span is considerably shorter than that of their ZP counterparts... but I recently picked up a 2001 PD 260 with 50ish jumps on it for $350!

Maybe I'm just old school (well, old too!), I do have over 500 jumps on F-111 canopies, but as long as the stigma of jumping something a little bigger doesn't bother you, they're still a viable option...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I know, I wish I could have found one! I don't have the budget for a new canopy now, and Silhouttes are scarce on the used gear market...

I figure I'll just jump the PD 260 for a while, and keep a lookout for a good used 230 Silhoutte!

Contact PD - you never know what they may have in their closet full of canopies... maybe old demo they are willing to pass on!

Have fun;)

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

I would just add the Solo by Aerodyne to that list. But good advise.

GG,
On your used gear page, is that tallguy modelling that container? It looks like him from the back.

Yes, it's TallGuy. And he is not modeling it. I snapped a shot after he landed. That's his rig.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I would just add the Solo by Aerodyne to that list. But good advise.

GG,
On your used gear page, is that tallguy modelling that container? It looks like him from the back.

Yes, it's TallGuy. And he is not modeling it. I snapped a shot after he landed. That's his rig.

[anal comment]Well, since he is in a photo displaying the container, he is in fact modeling it even if unintentionally/inadvertently.[/anal comment];)

He probably doesn't remember me, but I've met him briefly a couple of times at Skydance.

He probably doesn't remember me, but I've met him briefly a couple of times at Skydance.

You know I'm terrible with names and "Elisha" isn't ringing a bell. It's definately a general flaw in my character but I'm working on it.

Next time we meet you should do something memorable like biting my leg. Then you can at least say something like "You remember me... I bit your leg!!!" Soon you'll have a cool initial nickname like LB and everyone will know who you are.

You know I'm terrible with names and "Elisha" isn't ringing a bell. It's definately a general flaw in my character but I'm working on it.

Next time we meet you should do something memorable like biting my leg. Then you can at least say something like "You remember me... I bit your leg!!!" Soon you'll have a cool initial nickname like LB and everyone will know who you are.

Well, I'm probably only about as high as your leg....

No, I'm only around 5'6" - so rather short for a guy. If you read the nicknames thread in Bonfire, you can get probably more personal info about me than you really care.

I was at the American Boogie this year Friday afternoon until early Saturday afternoon and hanging out with a late 40's blond. She's a total whuffo (never seen skydiving before), but after hanging out, was willing to do a tandem sometime. I think she said she talked to you briefly. She was wearing a long skirt.

Oh, and I plan to be at the B & B at Davis tomorrow.

Hi ajm I'll go with bigun with this one im 6 foot 2 tall 240lbs 1000 jumps started on a saifire 229 from 30 jumps now on two saifire 189's one i bought off Bigun sometime ago (full rig thnx again bigun) a relined saifire 1 to saifire 2 linetrim and other one is a saifire 2 both canopies fly real well both in wings containers with pd 235 reserves. Love em been jumping saifires since they first came out. Ive got a saifire 229 with 200 jumps on it for sale if your interested drop me a line.
Grant a.k.a "The Wookster"
Euphoria freefly
http://www.freeflyeuphoria.com