kallend

$300 to change spark plugs!

And that's just labor, the plugs are extra.

Jeez!

Do you want to know how much it is to change them on my subaru?It is $600-800:S
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Auto repair labor should be charged on an hourly basis. For non-specialty repair shops, I'd think the $70-$90/hr range is fairly typical. For specialty shops, higher. Some plugs are easy to access, while others are a bitch. My feeling is: whatever time the job takes, it takes. As long as the time-on-task isn't being padded (like charging a "standard" 3.5 hours on a job that only takes 2 to complete), and the hourly rate is fair, then the charge is fair.

My kid just dealt with this on her car. To get to the rear set of plugs and wires on her engine, you have to disconnect the engine dog-bone tie-downs up front, then rock the engine forward and prop it in place to get it clear enough of the firewall to get access. Takes a long time, which adds up in a shop. So, we did it ourselves.

Jeez!

Do you want to know how much it is to change them on my subaru?It is $600-800:S

The Subaru engines are a bitch to work on! You have to get under and reach around and well it's a pain....or remove a bunch of stuff from the top.
Either way its a lot of work. But $600 is nuts! Hell $300 is nuts!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

This is but one reason I have a garage over flowing with tools.
;)

So if I buy you beer and make sammiches you will work on my car? :P

(it needs a tune up and brakes)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Jeez!

Ask them what the price will be if you don't watch/supervise.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What kind of vehicle/engine?

That just don't seem right, Hoss.>:(

Mercury Sable, 3 litre V6.

I think there is a bunch of stuff over the engine as I recall. And getting to the plugs isn't easy.
You could do it if you want but you may have to undo the airbox and maybe move the battery.
Before you dish out that kind of cash, open the hood of the car, invite your local mechanical engineer buddy (don't forget to set him up on a blind date) and start working.
Should take no more than an hour, and you would get to know your car.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

It started when they began making these cars that don't need an engine tune for 100,000 miles. Sounded like a great idea. What they didn't tell you, is when you finally need a tune, you will pay the same amount as if you had been doing it all along.

I just got a quote of $89 to replace a fuel filter on a Ford truck. I'm pretty sure I can do it myself for about $6.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Jeez!

No, that is NOT just the Labor.. It is the Labor (Payroll, Health Insurance, FICA, Unemployment Insurance, 401K program), The Overhead (The Building, The Utilities, The Shop Supplies, Uniforms, Service Writer, Service Manager, Liability Insurance, Advertising Costs, Tools) the Taxes and HOPEFULLY/Possibly a little profit for the business owner after all the above is paid.

$300 isn`t so bad after you add up the REAL cost of doing business.

TANSTAAFL.

Now you could shop around and possibly find the Work done cheaper or do it yourself. That is what is so great about this country. The Choice is yours.:)