RALFFERS

I had the strangest experience with a cop last night....

So, I'm driving in the ritzy suburbs, headed home from my sister's house - mind you it's 11:30 at night. The street I was driving had a 30 mph speed limit...I was driving 45-50. :) Suddenly....I see the front-end of a cop's car sticking out of a side street; my 1st thought is "oh shit!" of course. I firmly put on the brakes & roll passed him (or her) - I know I was speeding, they know I was speeding, & as expected, the cop pulls out behind me. By this point I'm thinking: "well, I might as well open up the glove box & get the insurance & registration out" - I was positive I was going to get pulled over. To my surprise however, cop doesn't flip on the read & blue, instead he/she follows me. Now however, I've had a complete change of heart & am going a perfect 30mph. :):P:ph34r: So cop proceeds to roll up on my right side, I presume to see if I had my seat belt on, & I did - so no hook for them there either... Now, here's where it gets interesting... Cop speeds passed me at about 70mph & hangs a right into another side street, & as I pass that side street I see that they are doing a u-turn (obviously not seeing that I see them doing the u-turn). They get back out on the road &begin following me once again... (They probably thought that I didn't see them doing the u-turn & would have been speeding again).

I'm followed for a while yet again, but after some time cop again passes me at what looked like 70mph, goes to the next light about 500-1000 ft away, does another u-turn, passes me & rides off into the night.

I think what was happening here is they needed me on radar to be able to issue a ticket, but gave up after a while once they realized that wasn't happening.

My 8 year ticketless streak continues... :)B|

Edited for grammar.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I think you had a close experience with aliens who were scanning you to decide whether you were worth the anal probe.

This explanation makes more sense. Did the cop car look 'normal'? Was it actually touching the ground? Was Tommy Lee Jones driving?
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

I was a cop once. I followed people like that to see if they were drunk. If you weren't drunk and corrected the problem (speeding in this case), I wasn't going to write a ticket anyhow. So, no traffic stop. Just keep an eye on them. Now, the cop should not have exceeded the speed limit. They might have thought there was a call to go on and then found out there was not, but that's a bit thin. Probably just checking you out.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I got pulled over the other day on my way to work, 35 in a 25, talking on my cell phone. I just handed over the paper work and waited for my ticket. He came back later with "slow down, and have a nice day." Amazing.B| He also saw my air traffic controller ID sitting on the passenger seat, and told me thanks for what I do. I told him thanks for keeping the streets safe ( from cell phone yakking speeders like me.):S:D

It varies by department, but most cops make fun of other cops who write silly tickets. If I took the time to write a ticket, you either had two or more things wrong or you were a jerk. For simple stuff, run the license and tell them to fix it. Of course, one day the license came back to a murderer from Texas. I would have let him go otherwise. :)
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

It varies by department, but most cops make fun of other cops who write silly tickets. If I took the time to write a ticket, you either had two or more things wrong or you were a jerk. For simple stuff, run the license and tell them to fix it. Of course, one day the license came back to a murderer from Texas. I would have let him go otherwise. :)

If that is the case, I bet the cop who wrote me a ticket for running a stop sign in the mall parking lot last month caught hell for it :D
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

I think what was happening here is they needed me on radar to be able to issue a ticket, but gave up after a while once they realized that wasn't happening.

You're most likely completely wrong.

You were SPO in regards to the time, location and speed. The cop was probably seeing if you continued on or tried to shuck and jive. Shuck and jive would have gotten you stopped, they already had PC to stop you, so its that easy. If you stop a burglary too soon, you may not have built the PC needed to search the car and find burglary tools and/or stolen items.

I know it must be a surprise to people, but there is more to police work than just tickets.

I highly suggest you call your local PD and try a ride along one night. Then you can see what real police work is about.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

OR... the whole thing had nothing to do with you, and he got a call... turned on the wrong street maybe? Maybe he/she got another call? Police do more than pull us over for speeding. Going to traffic court is always a hoot though. Last time I was in line behind a manlady who claimed the officer harassed her/him...

Sorry folks, but you are all WRONG. The cop obviously though they saw a bag of donuts on the dash board and were just trying to verify it. When it turned out to be an illusion, they sped off to Dunkin Donuts
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

So why didn't you mess with him?

He speeds past, goes down a few blocks and turns in...you make a quick left, pull over with lights off and wait for him to come back searching..."Where the hell did he go? Must have been an alien or something."
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You were SPO in regards to the time, location and speed. The cop was probably seeing if you continued on or tried to shuck and jive. Shuck and jive would have gotten you stopped, they already had PC to stop you, so its that easy.

That would look great in court if the cop plowed into a pedestrian speeding through a residential neighbourhood, to see if somebody would "shuck and jive".

Sorry your honour, we were on very important shuck and jive business, that poor lady was just unfortunate collateral damage during our utmost important shuck and jive investigation.....