canopywhore

r-max vs pd126

Are you sure it's a 132. Maybe I'm misinformed but most of the R-maxes are 118,128, 138, etc...

I've got a few jumps on R-maxes set up as mains, and they have a lot of power in the flare and fly quite well. Both are great reserves. I've got a ride on a PD143, & PD126, and they also fly great. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I have a personal aversion to precision reserves due to well known customer service issues.

As an alternative to PD, I have heard the Aerodyne Smart reserves are very nice, and very affordable, too.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

As a jumper and a rigger, I hear a lot of the bias agaisnt Ravens(particuarly -M's), and some of that seems to have transfered onto the R-Max just by the fact that both are PA products. I tend to trust the word of those with more experience than me, but this is a poitn where I must disagree. I've got two reserve rides on a R-Max and wouldn't change reserves if given a free one.

One my rides, the R-Max flew rock solid and had excellent flare at a 1.1 WL. As a rigger, I've had a chance to become familiar with the construction of the canopy. The best way to desribe it would be that PA looked at the excellent reenforcement on the PD-R's and then took it a step farther.

Don't get me wrong, PD-R's are excellent reserves. It is just that, contrary to popular bias, the R-Max
line is as good if not better. I feel that the canopies are equal enough that the buying decision should come down to three factors: cost, delivery time and container size(R-Max's pack just a hair bulkier than PD-R's, which can make a difference in tight containers).

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I watched some of the drop tests for the r-max, I would get one and not ever worry about my reserve blowing up. I was impressed by how overloaded the reserves were and how they were still opening fine when being dropped at very high speeds.

I have a tempo in my rig now, but only because I inherited it from a friend. My preferences would be r-max or pd-r.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

i have 4 reserve rides on a RAVEN M1. the last one was pretty dicey... had a built-in turn. i was wondering all the way down how it would flare. it was fine on landing, but i retired the old bitch and went PDR.

the RAVEN was 15 years old, so that is one factor worth considering when bad-mouthing the beast.

the greatest selling point with PD is their incredible service. they sold me new brake lines for my spectre, installed, test flight with video, all for $10, and returned it in short order. it don't get much better than that.

After 18 rides on many different makes or reserve as a result of malfunction, wrap or entanglement, I've settled on PD reserves. I have PD 126R's in both my rigs. Dispite having some experience in the cutaway dept, I'm going no further than PD.

t
It's the year of the Pig.