agentsmith413

skydiver jumping with no goggles? wtf?

I thought that was very nice of him too... or he didnt have a hook knife...

He was a licensed jumper in the UK, so he almost certainly did (unless someone missed it during his kit check).
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I've done a few goggleless jumps - the first one was my first student jump from 4000m, the goggles blew off my face during climbout. I didn't notice, and just thought it was supposed to be windier at full altitude (I was also jumping Pac instead of the usual Cessna Turbine). A few other times I've forgotten to put the goggles on, and the last time the goggles disintegrated when I was entering the plane. It's no big deal, I cans ee just fine even though the wind blows in around my eyeballs (my RW partner said it looked "funny"). I didn't tear up until after landing, when my body caught up with my eyes being "dry".
I wouldn't do it on purpose, and if I had to I think I'd remove my contacts first (cheap dailies), but otherwise it's no biggie.

I've been told that freefall without eye protection is bad for your eyes - don't know how true that is, but it's very uncomfortable at terminal and does nothing for your vision or concentration.

Of course it happens to most of us eventually through some mishap. I did it once when my girlfriend's goggles broke on run-in, and I gave her mine to use - which was kind of cool because it made me look noble. :)
These days I wear a full face helmet, so no goggle elastic worries. But a well-placed kick from a team mate can still let the wind in!

You CAN jump without eye protection, but why would you intentionally take the risk? It's one thing to happen accidentally, but to do it intentionally seems like a dumb risk with no upside potential!

You can say the same thing about all of skydiving. Why risk your life, limbs, sight, money, etc. with no upside.

I jump regularly without goggles. It is not a big deal. I can see just fine.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

You can say the same thing about all of skydiving. Why risk your life, limbs, sight, money, etc. with no upside.

We get your point but that is taking it way too broad.
A bug hits your arm, stomach, foot, it's not going to affect you.
That same bug hits your eye while you're in freefall, that might suck.
Stay high pull low

We get your point but that is taking it way too broad.
A bug hits your arm, stomach, foot, it's not going to affect you.
That same bug hits your eye while you're in freefall, that might suck.

Or worse, a bird! ;)

Bugs don't fly that high, or you pull really low!

WOW.....jumping with no goggles. THAT is dangerous.

I cannot believe he would do that on purpose....he must have just forgot them.

My goodness.....some people will give skydivers a bad name....jumping without goggles.

VERY Dangerous.

That has got to be the funniest post I have ever read on DZ.com. To the original poster, if you do not get this joke, do some research on Mr chuteless, then it will make more sense. Hint: the screen name has meaning.

Yeah, I'm not a safety expert or anything, but I speak from experience when I say that I think that going without goggles is a bad idea. Mine flew off before I even jumped out (right as my feet where at the door, a gust of wind swept in at just the right angle to pull them off my face and out the door). Even though I tried to keep my eyes shut, they were still bloodshot for almost a week afterward.

I don't think Roger Ponce ever wore shoes either....

He still doesn't.;)

And when you look at a picture of a large formation that he organized. He's real easy to find. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

After posting that last bit about not wearing goggles, I got to thinking about it and had a laugh.because......

I have jumped without goggles for almost all of my jumps

I have jumped without a reserve...many times

I have jumped without a main twice..

I have jumped without a jumpsuit many times, even wore a suit and tie on at least one.

I have jumped without shoes or footwear a couple of times.

I have jumped without an altimeter many times

I see absolutely no need for goggles on a jump, unless you are ( like me now) getting old and the eye muscles don't want to keep the eyeball where they should be.

I have jumped without an AAD on all my jumps except a dozen or so because I was using Ecuadorian military rigs on which they had been installed.

I would never use one otherwise.

Bill Cole D-41