Nataly

Day One: Dropped my bike :(

I just moved to DC from SoCal, I don't know what it is; maybe it's the water, but I hardly ever see east coast sport bike riders wearing any protection other than a helmet! Tank tops and helmets, maybe a sweater. She may be hot now with a spaghetti stap shirt and booty shorts riding backseat, but it's only a matter of timeB|

In Cali the standard was a leather jacket, regardless of temperature, with armoured shoulders, elbows and most likely a back piece. Gauntlets and boots were very common and most weekend riders wore full leathers. I wear jacket, back pice, helmet, armoured gloves, and boots at a minimum.

Hmm.. I don't think it's such a bad thing that no big burly person helped you to even out the damage!!!

Thanks everyone for sharing your drop stories - makes me feel just a little less stoopid. :D

Now I have to bring the bike in tomorrow so they can see if they can fix it. Because the cover is gone (on BOTH sides), I'm not sure what they're gonna do.. I know what I would do: confiscate the bike, tell me to piss off, and keep my deposit.. [:/]

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I'm no longer worried about you...very much. I think you're going to be fine on a bike. Stay current and wrapped up in leather etc.

Glad you are ok.:)

Awww - thanks :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Don't worry about it. There are two types of riders, those who have dumped and those who will. Hell you got to pick you bike up and ride away. Mine are usually picked up with a broom to push all the pieces off to the side of the road. Glad no injuries but keep your head up and keep on ridin.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

In Cali the standard was a leather jacket, regardless of temperature, with armoured shoulders, elbows and most likely a back piece.

Most of the guys I ride with have to same setup. When we know we are going to be riding hard we throw on the boots and some other stuff. I would rather tear up a jacket and pants than have road rash.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I only dropped my bike 1 time, I was being inattentive, and ended up on the lawn of a funeral home. That got my attention!

No worries Nataly, you'll be great, just practice!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Been there, done that.:D
Sorry to laugh, but that guy dropping it on the other side? :D I bet he feels reeeeealy stupid.

Keep riding, get some lessons. Anything with just 2 wheels is going to lie down every now and then.:)

Who here is thinking "That is why girls shouldn't ride."

Who here is thinking shut the heck up! :)

Ok Turtle, lets point out what may be completely obvious to others...

There's nothing sexier than a beautiful woman (enter Nataly) straddled over a motorcycle!

Nataly... You go girl! Lesson learned, move on. If you're ever up north, pick me up and lets go ridingB|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

All who wish to see a pic of Nat in leather say I!

IIIIII!!!!! :)
Riding is easy! You'll get the hang of it.

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

ATGATT for sure. I almost think that riders should kick their bikes over as soon as they get them, just to get the heart ache out of the way, because it WILL happen eventually. Then again my bikes are equal parts electrical tape and black spray paint. YMMV.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

ATGATT! All the gear, all the time! Good Job Nataly! Keep at it, it's not always a catastrophe when you ride! Just for reference, google "road rash queen".

I've seen that dumb ass bimbo for years. Even after all that she STILL rides with shitty gear. It's basically a matter of time till she's hamburger again.
~Bones Knit, blood clots, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars.~

Ha! when I was 17 I had a Yamaha RD350 Powervalve, I was quite small at 17 and dropped it on its side when wheeling it out of the garage all the time, I have memories of hanging on to one handlebar the bike and me at opposing 45 degree angles desperately trying to stop it going all the way to the floor.

Thank god for bare bikes! It never got noticeably damaged!

Don't sweat dropping it! :D
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!

Been there, done that.:D
Sorry to laugh, but that guy dropping it on the other side? :D I bet he feels reeeeealy stupid.

Keep riding, get some lessons. Anything with just 2 wheels is going to lie down every now and then.:)

Let me get this straight.. Girls shouldn't ride because random men incompetently try to come to their rescue??!! :D:D

She DOES catch the irony . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Best kind of accident to have -
#1 Slow speed.

#2 Proper gear.

#3 Minor damage

#4 RENTAL BIKE

You learned a lot - don't watch the bike watch where you're going, wear proper gear, all that.

YOU DIDN'T GET HURT!!!

It wasn't yours. And you had the insurance.
I would bet heavy that the rental place buys turn signals by the case (or even truckload). ;)
You might ask them how many they replace per month.

Oh yeah, most importantly...

You are riding. And riding a "real" motorcycle. One with a real transmission. Not one of those silly scooter thingys.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

First off, it's not your bike, it's a rental.

Second, you mentioned a tight, slow corner, and you said you were afraid to stall the bike. In those situations, pull in the clutch, and you won't stall the bike. You can ease out a little clutch, and then pull it back in any time you need to move the bike just a little, or negotiate a slow manuver.

Also, keep your feet off the pegs until you're ready to accelerate up to speed. Let them slide along the ground to provide extra support if you need it. This only applies to slow speed riding, in parking lots and such.

Last, watch this, and learn how to do it -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkBN1ENtWz8&feature=related