Nataly

Day One: Dropped my bike :(

Awww MAN... I picked up the rental bike today - Honda CBF125. I deliberately rented from a shop that is really close to some quiet roads with lots of parking lots. I used to live around that area too, so I know it pretty well.

I took it easy, and spent the first hour just finding where the sweet spot is in first gear. Then I want on some really quiet roads and practised changing gears, turning, slowing to a stop and starting again. Felt fine.

Then I went on some small roads with traffic lights, etc.. No problem.

By this point, about 5 hours later, I felt pretty at ease on the bike. I decided to call it a day before rush hour got going, so I took the bike home. On the LAST CORNER, I dropped the friggin thing and broke the right indicator light.. :( Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, this big burly man ran to my rescue, picked up the bike, and it dropped on the OTHER SIDE, breaking the left indicator (the fairing, not the bulb). B|:(

I called the rental place and they were cool about it, but I'm still so upset.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Were you wearing your gear?
OK first off, everyone will drop their bike.

NO matter how good they think they are they will drop their bike once.

I dropped my bike for the first time in front of the garage right in front of my wife....she laughed.....and told me to pick it up.

Was it fun? NO! God no! But it happens. But unlike skydiving dropping your bike won't result in a broken leg. More like a broken bike part but not a leg....if you are wearing your gear!

So...WEAR YOUR GEAR!

Next, when you get a free moment or two walk back to where you dropped the bike, kind of work out in your head what went wrong. Things on bikes happen slowly for the most part. So walk through it in your mind and look at the tarmac and see what kind of skid marks you left. Figure out if you used too much from brake or too much rear brake or if you just stalled out.

Now, from my experience, slow corners are dangerous due to the simple fact that the bike is least stable in slow corners. And as such I highly recommend you utilize your rear break and not your front break. The tendency to over utilize your front break may cause you to fall over.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Been there, done that.:D
Sorry to laugh, but that guy dropping it on the other side? :D I bet he feels reeeeealy stupid.

Keep riding, get some lessons. Anything with just 2 wheels is going to lie down every now and then.:)

Who here is thinking "That is why girls shouldn't ride."
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'm a bit surprised how torn up my right glove is.. In a typical instinctive fashion, I put out my hands when I fell.. Glad the stuff that peeled off was the cow's skin and not mine!!! Hooray for gear!!!

I know (mostly) what happened.. I was stopped and waiting for the road to be clear to make a right turn.. (Bear in mind ppl drive on the left so I had to cut across oncoming traffic.) It was a tight corner and I was looking at the wheels instead of the road ahead (because it was a tight corner) [:/] I didn't think I would quite make it and fell over.

I reckon it was a combination of not wanting to stall, giving too much throttle, and looking too close ahead. Stupid, I know. And embarrassing. [:/]

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Riding is a lot like sex.
The first 100 times you get on the bike it's all off!
You have no clue what the hell you are doing and the bike feels like an object not an extension of you.
But after that....oh brother! It's allllllll goooooood!
The bike and your brain start talking, the road starts humming and the engine starts breathing and then you can feel that soul between your legs and then you know.
She loves you and will work with and will keep you alive and show you the world.
OR
She hates you and will kill you.
Either way it's good fun.

I think the same could be said about skydiving but I think you are looking at 1000 canopy rides?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

You grabbed the front break didn't you :)Been there done that lived to talk about it.
When pulling away just have one finger covering the front break, back straight and TURN YOUR HEAD.
You go where you look.
Don't worry we all do it. Wear your gear get on tke bike and go out again.

Been there, done that.:D
Sorry to laugh, but that guy dropping it on the other side? :D I bet he feels reeeeealy stupid.

Keep riding, get some lessons. Anything with just 2 wheels is going to lie down every now and then.:)

Who here is thinking "That is why girls shouldn't ride."

Let me get this straight.. Girls shouldn't ride because random men incompetently try to come to their rescue??!! :D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

On the LAST CORNER, I dropped the friggin thing and broke the right indicator light..

Sorry, but I had to laugh.
Late in the evening of the FIRST DAY I had my shiny new HD Sportster, I was doing a slow u-turn and it started to go down.
I was able to slow it down, but didn't have my leg braced in a good position to stop it, so it went down and broke the left indicator light.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yep. Stuff happens. Just need to find your balance and get your muscles stronger to be able to do all that ya need to do.

When I thinking of getting my own bike, a friend lent me his 250 enduro dirt bike to practice with. What great fun! But it had a difficult kick start that gave me an ugly assortment of bruises when it wouldn't start and the kick start came back and hit meB|! Ouch. Or in the middle of No-Where stall, and unable to kick start it... I'd either have to get a push start from somebody if anyone was around... or walk the thing to a hill somewhere so i could get roll downhill to get the engine to turn over.

Ahhh. What memories. ;)

Keep after it though. You'll get the hang of it.:)

Well, I do think it's a little bit funny, but even though it's a rental and even though it's fully insured, I still feel bad [:/]

I still can't believe this almost never happened at all, but instead it turned into a double whammy.. :S

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I can relate to that. I was helping a girl change her flat tire on her car and then got on my bike to follow her to a gas station and dropped my bike right in front of her. That broke my right turn signal. A few days later I rode to my mechanics house, it was an old bike that the dealership would not fix, and he just had more gravel put in his driveway. When I pulled up the tires went out from below me and I dropped the bike on the other side and broke that turn signal. Two drops in one week, so don't feel too bad

A couple newbie tips I wish i'd been told when i started 15 years ago.

1. for most situations, one or two fingers max ont he brake handle. This is so you dont cram it down which WILL ALWAYS lowside yer bike.

2. If someone tells you never to use the back brake because it's dangerous, tell them to get bent. The key is moderation, NEVER stand up on that back brake. However moderate use will make your ride much more stable.

3. Speed is your friend. If you are ever coming into a turn a little too hot, do NOT hit the brakes unless you have a clear run-out path as this will stand the bike up straight. Just grit your teeth, look through the turn and LEAN. You'd be surprised what the bike will do if you let it.

4. Dress for the crash, not the ride. I went without gloves ONCE because it was 100 degrees. Sure enough, I got into a wreck that day and lost all the skin off my palms and fingertips. You know you are a biker when you see people in shorts and tshirts riding and it makes you cringe.
~Bones Knit, blood clots, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars.~

Thanks to everyone for tips and encouragement :)
I'm not put off, but I think it's a shame.. I suppose this is precisely why I'm renting and practising on quiet roads, etc. I also have lessons tomorrow, which I'm really glad I booked now.

And MAN, I really can't put into words how glad I am to have worn all the right gear - especially since it was such a hot day. I've heard too many horror stories.. I find it absolutely shocking how many people ride in shorts, skirts, high heels.. All seems fairly retarded to me.. I just had the most minor fall and my right glove was shredded.. That would have been my hand.. OUCH!!

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

And on the SECOND day I had my shiny new Sportster, I started to go down while backing out of a parking spot; put my foot down, only to find a grate that was about 2" lower than the space there.

Down I went, taking the right indicator light :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And MAN, I really can't put into words how glad I am to have worn all the right gear - especially since it was such a hot day.

When I had my HD, my usual attire was:
- Helmet (required by law)
- Tank top
- Cuttoff denim shorts
- Sandals

What did you expect from a stupid 20yo kid?:S
Fortunately, I never had a crash.
I had to sell it after a year due to lack of money.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hey mate ... don't worry - Cow hide is cheap.

I see so manyy people riodhing in in approipriate gear - it sickens me.

We ALL drop our bikes at some stage (I lowered mine !!! twice this past month.. Tight spots, poor control ... Little, tiny legs:P It happens and we learn from it and move on.

P.S No big burly women come MY assistance!!!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Third day I had my brand new Suzuki GS750 was riding it to the office.........in office attire which included leather sole shoes.:| First traffic light I stopped at, down went my left foot which immediately slipped out from under me and then down went the bike in front of many, many cars in rush hour traffic. :$:$:$

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

sounds like you had a lot of fun with a slight oops, I hope you keep the fun in mind and not the dropping the bike - it happens.
In over 35 yrs of riding I have learned that..

there are three types of riders in this world - those that have crashed - those that will crash - those that have and will do it again.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Thanks to everyone for tips and encouragement :)
I'm not put off, but I think it's a shame.. I suppose this is precisely why I'm renting and practising on quiet roads, etc. I also have lessons tomorrow, which I'm really glad I booked now.

And MAN, I really can't put into words how glad I am to have worn all the right gear - especially since it was such a hot day.

How hot was it Nataly!

I did a ride just below San Antonio this past Sat. It was 42 C. But I was in full gear anyway..B|