thutch

Xaos center C's breaking!!!

Seems the center C's snap between 700 and 1000 jumps!!! This has happened to at least 5 jumpers on my dz alone. One guy received his new lineset with thicker center C's, but mine (ordered after) came with standard lines throughout. This is over a year ago. Today a friend snapped both center C's at once!!!

I just wonder why Precision doesn't address this problem - thicker center C's would give us at least a few hundred more jumps .... OH! hang on! Less money for them. I'm sooo stupid!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, you really shouldn't be complaining about getting 700-1000 jumps on a line set. :S

Secondly, just because you break a single line doesn't mean you need to change out the entire set. To change one non-cascaded line should take about 5 minutes and cost about $10.

Canuck

Seems the center C's snap between 700 and 1000 jumps!!!

Isn't 700 to 1000 jumps enough for a lineset?

thicker center C's would give us at least a few hundred more jumps

So why not just get a rigger to replace the lines and get on with life instead of complaining about it?

Edit: I type too slowly... :P

...the center C's snap between 700 and 1000 jumps...

I seem to remember along the way hearing from precision that I should expect 6-800 jumps from my lineset, depending on how it was cared for. That was for both the 21 and 27. Is it a surprise you are seeing line failures at 700-1000 jumps per lineset?

...I just wonder why Precision doesn't address this problem - thicker center C's would give us at least a few hundred more jumps...

Hey, they could use 1575lb dacron lines on the whole canopy and we'd probably never need a reline again, right?;) There's a reason the lines are so small.
Hope this helps...
Miami

I just wonder why Precision doesn't address this problem - thicker center C's would give us at least a few hundred more jumps .... OH! hang on! Less money for them. I'm sooo stupid!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't it piss you off making George filthy rich selling those exorbitantly priced linesets that only last 700-1000 jumps? Why he must be just rolling in the bucks. Hundreds and hundreds of them!!!!!!
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Sorry to have come across as whining - didn't mean to. I'm more interested in knowing if this is happening to all the Xaos canopies and to try and understand why a manufacturer of such superb equipment doesn't make it better. Surely a lineset that lasts 1500 jumps is better than one that does 300? I do know this is a throwaway culture we're in, I just try not to subscribe.

Why waste?

Surely a lineset that lasts 1500 jumps is better than one that does 300?...

...Why waste?

For the performance. Making a lineset that lasts 1500 jumps would be very similer to going back to some nice fat dacron lines. I'm sure precision would be happy to send you a big, fat, stong dacron lineset like that if you asked...for the sake of not being wasteful... ;)
Miami

Surely a lineset that lasts 1500 jumps is better than one that does 300? I do know this is a throwaway culture we're in, I just try not to subscribe.

Why waste?

You're talking materials, and when you trade one for another, there are going to be trade-off's. Sure, you could have it relined with Dacron and possibly get 1500+ jumps out of it, but you're increasing drag and pack volume. And, truth be told, why jump a canopy that high-performance if you're going to add that much drag to it?

HMA seems to be the way to go, with 800-ish jumps quite common, excellent dimensional stability, and incredibly low profile drag. However, it's trickier to work with and you really can't cascade it. If you're replacing a cascaded line-set, it's going to be pricy and you'd better be damn good at math, especially geometry.;)

Vectran and Spectra have their own quirks as well, but all of them are likely going to have to be replaced before 1000 jumps, especially Vectran.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

In all fairness, wouldn't it be best to include the fact that both C lines broke within 1/4 inch of each other, about 6 inches below the finger trap?

I am not aware of any kind of epidemic of this occurrance, but I do know of it happening one time. Could these lines that I hold in my hand be yours? Your rigger sent them to me.

Please PM me with the details of the "other 4 people". I would be very interested to know the details. Sorry, but my 30 years of experience as a Master Rigger and manufacturer says you had a slider-related malfunction.

However, if you wanted bigger C5 lines, all you had to do is ask, and I would have been happy to send them to you.

George Galloway
Precision Aerodynamics

but I do know of it happening one time. Could these lines that I hold in my hand be yours? Your rigger sent them to me.

No george those were my lines. And when they broke, I was neither surprised or upset, because they had 700-1000 jumps on them.. no one should expect any more than that.

Hillo!

Nice to see this getting lotsa attention!

I personally would much rather have my center C ('s) break first (canopy is still controlable - our experience over the past few years!) than an A for example!!!! The perfect accidental design ...

So, I'm perfectly happy with the stock linesets and do think the Xaos's are the best canopies I've ever had the pleasure of jumping!!!! l8er!

Please PM me with the details of the "other 4 people". I would be very interested to know the details.

On a recent Fri. M broke a center C, Mon. directly thereafter B broke one of his, the very next day S broke both his. Last year R broke one of his, as did I! These are the ones I'm sure of, there may be one or two others.

Extremely surprised that Precision didn't know!?!
And, by the way, that is what got this whole thing started: I ran to my rigger to ask for thicker center C's ... Which I'm still willing to try, even though it may lead to a mal when some other line breaks, for the sake of a few bucks saved;)