billvon

First triathlon (the race, not the canopy)

Just did my first triathlon with some family members back in my childhood hometown of Oyster Bay, NY. We did a relay with Amy doing the swimming, me doing the biking and my sister doing the running. My other sister did the whole thing, and we had a total of 9 people from our extended family doing it in one form or another. I did minimal training (rode 10-15 miles every other day for a few months before hand) before heading back to NY.

I didn't want to go through the pain of boxing up and shipping my (heavyish) road bike so I rented a very nice 1-series Trek from an LBS out there. Did a few rides of the course on the days before the event.

On the day of the race I watched the swim start, and walked back to the transition area to await the handoff of the timing chip. Got back and - flat tire. Figures. I ran around and miraculously found someone with a 700c tube. Changed it in record time and got it back on the bike just as Amy came back in to the transition area.

I took off, did the 15km course, and was suprised to pass a lot of people walking their bikes up the big hill. (Of course most of them swam first, but still . . .) Handed off the timer and then went to watch the finishes.

When the times came back I was sorta shocked to see that I was 26th out of 91 relay teams for time in the bike section; we were 51st overall. Talking to the people there I definitely did not consider myself one of the better-prepared people. After hearing about the training they were doing I thought I'd do well to avoid coming in last. Maybe it was the transition from a 30 lb steel bike to a sub 20-lb aluminum bike that did it.

All in all it was great fun, and not as embarrassing or painful as I expected. The only problem now is that my commuter bike seems _really_ slow, but the last thing I need is another bike.

Good, I'm glad you didn't by a Triathlon, its a horrible canopy that does everything, just nothing well.

My wife does triathlons, in fact we're going to Austin this weekend for her to compete in her first Olympic distance Tri. She has been doing them for a few years now. Me? Oh heeeeelllllll no. I'll stick to something safe like competitive swooping.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i did my first one a couple years ago in idaho. i was a lot of fun, but i didn't train for it and i think i cam in close to last place. i'm currently training for a sprint tri in november. after that, i think i'm going to do a 3k swim/3k run in may.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

HEY! I have a Triathlon, and I love it! It's my 3rd Triathlon too. :P

I used to be a long distance runner for many years. I even tried a triathlon (the race), and hated it. The swim was only 400 yards in a pool, the bike ride was 10k and the run a 5k. Guess what was the last leg... the fucking pool. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I really want to get into Triathons... I'd like to at least do a half-ironman distance... but I just haven't put in the time to do the training. (This year I've been planning a wedding... :$)

I'm glad your race went well...

Scott

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The training for those things can be tough but the feeling I had when I crossed the finish line of a marathon at 3 hours 9 minutes was such a great feeling I don't know how to explain it. Never did a triathlon though. I did mini tri and the open ocean swim about killed me.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!