NickDG

So Cal Fires . . .

I take it Nina is a Horse....Go steal one of Canasters trailors, and take her to the Gehtto...:D

Good Luck , Nick....

I think it depends on your definition of "Horse"

Full story HERE

All these years. all these beers, and I didn;t evn knwo you liked bikes!

I am the Mod at the Biker Bar alley, found at nedthetoothpick.com,,,,Shiieet...come join us, (once this fire is over)

The Station Fire has now grown to 85,000 acres. And from last night to this morning things have taken a turn for the worse.

We got a phone call at five in the morning telling us again about possible evacuations and also about a plan to ignite back fires a few blocks above us.

RIP to the two firefighters, Captain Tedmund “Ted” Hall, 47, and 35-year-old Firefighter Arnaldo ”Arnie” Quinones. The latest news is they were over run by flames while pulling back from the fire.

The Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL) where Julia works is closed today due to the fire so she has the day off. But I have to work this evening. We were going to unpack the vehicles today and I guess that's not happening.

Hang onto your hats, ladies and gentleman, this thing's not over by a longshot . . .

NickD :|

Day seven of the Station Fire and sans the sulfur smell we've been fully indoctrinated into Hell . . .

Coming home from work last night, I could see the mountains behind us were ablaze with backfires. And the smoke this morning is the worst its been so far.

Julia's at work today so I get to stand the firewatch. So far 75 homes have been destroyed . . .

Here's the latest from official sources:

"Speaking a press conference at 5 p.m. tonight, officials described the Station Fire as "erratic." "This is a very angry fire that we're fighting right now," a spokesman said. "Until we get a change in weather conditions, I'm not overly optimistic, yet at the same time, our firefighters will be taking every action they can in order to keep this fire from burning more structures... I wish I could be more optimistic."

The blaze, which began Wednesday, has burned 105,296 acres with 75 miles of fire line left for firefighters to build. Approximately 3,670 personnel are assigned with various helicopters and planes.

Mount Wilson was unharmed as of 4:55 p.m., but two other communication sites had been destroyed in the last two days--Mount Lukens and Mount Desperation.

Around 75 homes have been destroyed mostly in the foothills area, on the southern end of the Angeles National Forest. 7,000 homes are evacuated with 12,000 homes threatened. On the northside along the 14 Freeway, flames are about five miles away from Santa Clarita, Agua Dulce, Little Rock and Juniper. Although the fire is burning in every direction it can, the current concern is on and in between the East and North flanks."

Your use of the word ,station,,what exactly does that mean? Station Fire...? makes no sensse to a midwest guy like me....is it the name of a subdivision?

I was listening to the scanners when the "Station Fire" broke out. It is being called that because it was very near a Forest Service Fire Station when it broke out. They took most of the aerial assault aircraft off the "Morris Fire" to battle that one and it didn't work. Although I have no idea why it didn't work.

Hang in there Nick. We are all thinking about you guys. Don't be a hero. Get out of there if they tell you to.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

I hope it's ok to post this update that was sent out on facebook, but this is crucial. Please think of the animals in need and help, if you can:

--Wildlife Waystation needs help evacuating animals from the fire. They need flatbed trucks NOW!!

Address:14831 Little Tujunga Canyon Rd Sylmar, CA 91342

Phone: 818-899-5021

Anyone who is able to help, please do so...

Thank you.

I hope it's ok to post this update that was sent out on facebook, but this is crucial. Please think of the animals in need and help, if you can:

--Wildlife Waystation needs help evacuating animals from the fire. They need flatbed trucks NOW!!

Address:14831 Little Tujunga Canyon Rd Sylmar, CA 91342

Phone: 818-899-5021

Anyone who is able to help, please do so...

Thank you.

A link for those who are not aware of what they do http://www.wildlifewaystation.org/

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Hopefully they were able to get all the animals out safely... I know last week they talked about waiting as long as possible - they didn't want to stress out the animals and figured with the lake & the pumps they would be able to fend for themselves.

This fire is INSANE.... [:/]

g

"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Day seven of the Station Fire and sans the sulfur smell we've been fully indoctrinated into Hell . . .

Coming home from work last night, I could see the mountains behind us were ablaze with backfires. And the smoke this morning is the worst its been so far.

Julia's at work today so I get to stand the firewatch. So far 75 homes have been destroyed . . .

Here's the latest from official sources:

"Speaking a press conference at 5 p.m. tonight, officials described the Station Fire as "erratic." "This is a very angry fire that we're fighting right now," a spokesman said. "Until we get a change in weather conditions, I'm not overly optimistic, yet at the same time, our firefighters will be taking every action they can in order to keep this fire from burning more structures... I wish I could be more optimistic."

The blaze, which began Wednesday, has burned 105,296 acres with 75 miles of fire line left for firefighters to build. Approximately 3,670 personnel are assigned with various helicopters and planes.

Mount Wilson was unharmed as of 4:55 p.m., but two other communication sites had been destroyed in the last two days--Mount Lukens and Mount Desperation.

Around 75 homes have been destroyed mostly in the foothills area, on the southern end of the Angeles National Forest. 7,000 homes are evacuated with 12,000 homes threatened. On the northside along the 14 Freeway, flames are about five miles away from Santa Clarita, Agua Dulce, Little Rock and Juniper. Although the fire is burning in every direction it can, the current concern is on and in between the East and North flanks."

After this is over it would be a good time to write your local legislators and thank them for gutting police and fire protection funding!! Thank god we can still give folks free money for watching cable T.V. at the expense of so many others whom actually work for a living >:(>:(>:(

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Okay - now they are officially calling this the "Fire of the Century" in California.

I was just in the garage loading up as many of Nina's parts that I could fit into the truck. The smoke and ash is so bad here I started out wearing a N95 mask (the paper one) but had to switch to the hard respirator I use when painting parts.

Everyone on my block knows I'm an EMT and so far I've been called out to help several of the more elderly in the neighborhood. But, it's getting real bad here, this is getting Katrina bad.

We are at the point where we need the National Guard!

We desperately need another few thousand guys with shovels . . .

Yeah, right. I was in San Diego for that fire and worked three days at the evac center at Qualcom Stadium. This fire is definitively worse than that . . .

I just went down to the local evacuation center at the local high school and it's overrun. I was hoping I could get a few bottles of O2 for some folks on my block, it's the one drug I need right now.

The Red Cross is useless. They sit on their fat asses and ask for donations.

Just on my own block I've got nothing but respiratory issues.

Isn't there an Oxygen Bar near by? Or have those places fallen out of vouge?

But seriously, what about one of those Oxygen concentraters that you see old folks with respatory problems carrying around? Ya know, the ones that concentrate Oxygen right out of the atmosphere without a pressure bottle of O2? Would one of those be useful if you had access to one? Not that I'd know where to get one... sorry.

I was really hoping that the cat-5 hurricane that's approaching Baja would continue on course and give us some rain.

I was, too, hoping for the rain.

I have been thinking of you SoCali-folks daily.

As someone who has visited 42 states, I still love my Florida and will take a hurricane any day vs. all that other stuff. The "devil you know" and all. [:/]
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Please think of the animals in need and help, if you can

Thank you so much for that.

:)
PLFXpert PSA: Please include your pets and animals as part of your/any evacuation plans. Also, please evacuate. Seriously.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Satellite View

The dumbbell shaped lake in the lower right is Diamond Lake (SW of Hemet)
Due west of that you can see Lake Elsinore (obscured by clouds)
The two lakes north of there are Lake Matthews and Lake Perris.

The uppers are still from the SW.
Look for that to change as the Baja hurricane moves NE.
Santa Anna conditions usually exist when the pressure in San Diego is less than the pressure in Las Vegas.
The past couple of days they have had pretty much the same pressure.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

>Wait, mud-slides then.
Yup, that'll be in September when the rains come . . .

Well, there wasn't anything else to do at home so instead of grousing about the Red Cross I decided to go back down there and see if I could help out.

I asked the guy in charge if he needed an EMT and he put me right to work. They had a well stocked med kit but nobody to man it. So I set up a little clinic in one corner of the shelter. I did some bandaging and called ALS for one guy with Angina.

A bit later another off duty EMT showed up and so did an ICU Nurse so we had it going on. I just came home but left my phone number in case things blow up again . . .

Boy, do I have a smoke headache!

NickD :)

>Or a really good rain.

I was really hoping that the cat-5 hurricane that's approaching Baja would continue on course and give us some rain. Unfortunately it's veering east and will hit Arizona instead.

Yeah. Instead it will likely cause just enough instability to cause dry lightning... [:/]

My wife is hotter than your wife.