NickDG

So Cal Fires . . .

I take it Nina is a Horse....Go steal one of Canasters trailors, and take her to the Gehtto...:D

Good Luck , Nick....

I think it depends on your definition of "Horse"

Full story HERE
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Well, I'm just home from work and things have taken a turn for the worse here. There are mandatory evacuations orders for the block right above us, so we're next . . .

Six homes in our neighborhood have already burned.

We have both our vehicles loaded and ready to go. And now we're just making some dinner in case we spend the night, or longer, in the shelter. I also have my EMS jump bag in case anyone at the shelter needs basic medical care and so, at least, I can be useful . . .

We're insured but still, if we get the call to go, we'll be leaving 50 years of memories behind. The fire is above us, and also east and west of us. So we are in the middle. The DC-10 tanker is flying above us continuously now.

If we can just get thru the hottest part of the day we still might have a chance, otherwise things are looking bleak . . .

NickD :|

Still here and so far so good . . .

In a few minutes the fixed wing aerial tankers will have to quit flying for the night. But, the helicopters must have night vision as they just keep dropping water in the dark, thank goodness.

NickD :)

>>Okay, bad joke. Sorry :S
No sweat, Bro. Right now I could use all the funny you can bring!

There are indeed people around hosing down their homes with garden hoses but that's not such a great idea. It drops the water pressure for the fire dept who really need it . . .

Nick,

I have total reality with your situation having had to evacuate during the fires at Griffith Park a couple years ago. It is such a helpless feeling seeing the sun go down and knowing that the tankers have to stop flying. The hope I had for progress in stopping or even just slowing down the front went away and my pulse rate rose.

We were a block away from the flames and had a cement bunker of a garage under our hillside home to store a few things. The most valuable stuff, things like pix, docs, computer drives, etc, went into the car. I sent the family off ahead with the kids terrified. They got to Aunt Betsy's house and just about forgot all about it. I followed a few hours later only then to realize that my calm while on-site was replaced by more dread and an adrenalin hangover that was hard to surmount.

The efforts of the firefighters will be heroic even if there is tremendous loss of property. The bravery to stand firm when a flame front is bearing down on your position and you are on a rooftop wetting down a hillside has to be immense and is hard to imagine.

Hang in there!

I miss SoCal. Just not right now...

jon

Acton is on the Northwestern front of the fire, we are on the other side, the Southwestern side.

It's better here today although there is still a lot of fire both east and west of us, including on Mt. Wilson which is almost directly behind us.

If Mt. Wilson gets over run with fire it will mean big trouble for the entire LA basin as cell phones, over the air TV broadcasts, commercial radio broadcasts, and emergency radio traffic (EMS, Police, and Fire have all their repeaters up there) will be shutdown.

Man, it's been five days of this (fire started Wednesday afternoon) so we are more than ready for it to be over . . .

NickD :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iph8yxcpIes

"DC-10 phosphorus drop over the "Station" fire. La Canada, California"... ummm... phosphorus!!??! :S

What's up with the lame music they chose to use?

DC-10 came for a visit this afternoon here in my home town. Fire now in Oak Glen, just east of my place. B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I don't know if this is the right place to mention this but one of the fire fighters, a great kid by the name of Arnie Quinones has been a family friend for years. I've known him since he was in middle school. What makes this tragedy even worse is that his wife is expecting their first baby in Sept.. Please keep him and all firefighters in your prayers:(

Got word a while ago from some friends working out there now that two firefighters died today after rolling their vehicle over the side of a mountain road. Be extra safe out there for those travelling. It's natural to want to get out and close so you can see the action, but please avoid putting yourself and others at risk by being out and about in unsafe conditions.
Killing threads since 2004.

>>Okay, bad joke. Sorry :S
No sweat, Bro. Right now I could use all the funny you can bring!

There are indeed people around hosing down their homes with garden hoses but that's not such a great idea. It drops the water pressure for the fire dept who really need it . . .

No shit...

Anyone that has ever had the priviledge to meet Knick, knows there is always a smile on his face....

My thoughts are with ya Nick, we were at temecula today, and the smoke is even layed in there...Gotta suck just to breath where you are!